Jonnys Try

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

scuff wrote:Iain this is taken of the IRB website and states what TMOS'S can look for

- grounding of the ball for try and touch down
touch-in-goal, ball being made dead during the act of grounding the ball.

And in that extract, you have actually proved Iain right scuff!

The player, by having a foot in touch, had made the ball dead during the act of grounding the ball.

The TMO can adjudicate whether or not the player was in touch when grounding the ball, and in fact they have done so on numerous occasions in the past. However, they can only do so if the question they are asked ALLOWS them to. It seems that on this occasion, the question asked by the ref DIDN'T allow him to, so he couldn't comment on it.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Exactly Dave, that was the point I was trying to make, the TMO is restricted by the question that the referee asked of him. Ludicrous isn't it?
scuff

Post by scuff »

Dave touch in goal means the dead ball area not the touch line.
Big Bad John
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Big Bad John »

First couple of times I saw the replay I thought the try was good, I was focussing on possible contact with the corner flag, and if the ball had been grounded cleanly. To be honest if Butler hadn't highlighted that Jonnys toe was in touch on the third/fourth replay I would never have seen it. You have to be concious of the fact that the players and fans are waiting to continue with the game, and want a quick answer. The decision went to the TMO who had a very clear view and made a call, at the end of the day there is always going to be an element of inaccuracy as everyone is fallible. I don't think for one moment Jonny gets preferential treatment on the pitch and to suggest this is just silly.
Get Some Baby!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

5 live are now reporting that Courtenay may lose his spot as ref for the Scotland v Italy match. Not considered competent (by some), or words to that effect.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

scuff wrote:Dave touch in goal means the dead ball area not the touch line.
That wasn't the bit Dave was referring to. He was referring to this bit quoted by yourself:
scuff wrote:made the ball dead during the act of grounding the ball.
As Dave said, by a foot being in touch, the ball is made dead during the act of grounding the ball.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Thanks Iain, it's good to see that someone actually bothered to read what I wrote!

Scuff, I was not talking about Touch-in-goal. I was talking about the ball being made dead in the process of the grounding. Jonny's foot was in touch (not touch-in-goal) but the TMO could still have ruled on it if he had been asked the corect question.

Thanks though for pointing out the bit of the rule that I wasn't even referring to. Given that you quoted directly from the IRB website, I thought you would have at least read the quote, but it seems not! :roll: :lol: