Rugby's Eric Cantona

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Thanks for those links jamesie, interesting to hear and read.

For what it's worth - my thoughts are this

We shouldn't sit in judgment on anyone based on what the papers say - any good "story" will be tweaked, exaggerated and generally should be taken with a pinch of salt.
The comparisons between football and rugby that are rearing their heads constantly on here are, quite frankly (to me), tiresome and odious. Rugby is what this forum is about and it gains us nothing to make stereotypical portraits of football followers. They're not all chavs and thugs any more than we are all gentry or upper class twits. Each sport has some of each of those elements but it isn't entirely made up of them.
Whatever the provocation (or not) there is no excuse for that kind of violent behaviour. These are allegedly big grown up men in a position that could be seen as role models (I include Cantona in this) and surely they could learn to turn their back, block their ears, think "sticks and stones" rather than resort to violence.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
ulster_jamesie

Post by ulster_jamesie »

thanks rizzo... that's exactly the sort of level headed, balanced thoughts that i am hoping to see, not jumping to ridiculous conclusions that some are (particularly the press)... you're working your way back into my affections lady R :wink:

the footie v rugger argument is so passé... why-oh-why do we have to drag up the same old stereotypes? :evil:

rizzo has got it spot on. i've seen as many hoo-hah henry boffoons at the emirates (i'm a unashamedly fully paid up gooner), as i've seen vermin at say twickers, lansdowne, millenium or murrayfield, so please stop trotting out the same old dead [chav/poof/kev]ball guff.

i hope y'all trust my account of things. it is the truth and i swear on it. i'd like to add that that RTÉ radio phone-in has been all over the irish press due to trevor's uncle's allegations (re: alleged mum and sectarian abuse) which has been directly contradicted by trevor who said there was no sectarian abuse (however he maintained the mum allegations which are untrue anyway).
Lufbratiger

Post by Lufbratiger »

Should be a lifetime ban! as a professional he is a role model to kids and should act accordingly. No matter what was said he should have restrained himself especially as a senior player!. And Gareth Thomas? was he reacting to sectarian (alleged) abuse too? As captain of Wales he should face at least a fine!
Remember that you are a Tigers fan,and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Thomas...charmed life.

Can anyone explain the stupid head slapping after he scores?

Rizzo...cracking diplomatic answer. You'll never affect the round v odd shaped ball dispute though you know.

I say bubble wrap the lot of them.
CelticTiger

Post by CelticTiger »

"Your pub is a load of b________s" chants has no place at a rugby match, as indeed should there be no place for any player seeking vicious revenge for being on the receiving end of obscenities. The ERC should address the spectator swearing problem too, before it escalates.
If it's entertainment you want there's always the Opera House! (Munster Website post HC)