My squad for Cardiff game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I've gone past the point of caring who plays after what seems like change for the sake of change.

Just one message. If you get the lead lads......

DON'T CHUCK IT AWAY!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

And if you don't have the lead then get the lead!!!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I can't believe that some of you would have Smith instead of Hipkiss, who has been on fire this season !! Smith has struggled with injury and lack of form for a year or so and is nowhere near back to his best.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I have to agree Ollie is not yet back to his best and Hipkiss is looking a very dangerous player. I would also like to see Alex at least on the bench if fit at the expense of Burke, don't think we need Burke with Humphries and Vesty playing. Finally I would start with Crane with Corry or Abraham on the bench and with Kay in place of Cullen. Corry is not in form at the moment.

Of course this all depends on whether the strategy is actually to pick the strongest team this week or save them for the week after.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

[quote="gkbradley"]Finally I would start with Crane with Corry or Abraham on the bench and with Kay in place of Cullen. Corry is not in form at the moment.quote]

Amen GK, I was about to post the same thing. It's all well and good bringing the supposed 'big-guns' back for these games but from what I have seen it's the 'young guns' that have been doing the business this season. Crane should start at 8 on merit, Cozza is a great man but out of form.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Re: My squad for Cardiff game

Post by dailywaffle »

Put my vote down for Hipkiss as well, mm. Far more dangerous than Ollie at the moment.

The only other definite change I would make, as others have also said, is Geordie at 15 with Alex at 14.
5 is a bit of a toss-up, Kay or Deacon could fall either way.

Pretty much agree with all of your other picks.
Bear
Tiger Cub

Post by Bear »

gkbradley wrote:I have to agree Ollie is not yet back to his best and Hipkiss is looking a very dangerous player. I would also like to see Alex at least on the bench if fit at the expense of Burke, don't think we need Burke with Humphries and Vesty playing. Finally I would start with Crane with Corry or Abraham on the bench and with Kay in place of Cullen. Corry is not in form at the moment.

Of course this all depends on whether the strategy is actually to pick the strongest team this week or save them for the week after.
I think it's a case of the strongest team has 2 hard games to play, because if we lose this game the result at Munster is irrelevant, apart from taking there record off them, this is a MUST WIN game no choices ( 5 points the better ).
jackothelad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by jackothelad »

Bear wrote:
gkbradley wrote:I have to agree Ollie is not yet back to his best and Hipkiss is looking a very dangerous player. I would also like to see Alex at least on the bench if fit at the expense of Burke, don't think we need Burke with Humphries and Vesty playing. Finally I would start with Crane with Corry or Abraham on the bench and with Kay in place of Cullen. Corry is not in form at the moment.

I think it's a case of the strongest team has 2 hard games to play, because if we lose this game the result at Munster is irrelevant, apart from taking there record off them, this is a MUST WIN game no choices ( 5 points the better ).
The Tigers forwards will be too strong for the Blues pack. The Blues back row is poor without Martin Williams. Xavier Rush is wildly over-rated. The key for success is really the selection of the backs and not kicking the ball to Ben Blair who is one of the players of the season. The Blues centre field has not been particularly good this year and Hipkiss and Gibson should do well there. Varndell and Johne Murphy on the wings with Geordan Murphy at full back sounds just about right.
Ulsterman
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

I think that the team for this game has to be te strongest of the season. To get the bonus point is crucial. My squad would be:

1. Castrogiovani
2. Chuter
3. White
4. Cullen
5. Kay
6. Moody
7. Jennings
8. Corry/Crane

9. Ellis
10. Humphreys
11. Varndell
12. Gibson
13. Smith
14. G Murphy
15. Vesty

16. Buckland
17. Ayerza
18. Hamilton/L Deacon
19. Crane/Corry
20. Bemand
21. Burke
22. Rabeni

Not to sure when it comes to No.8 and then close between Hamilton and Deacon. I chose Rabeni because he is a better cover for centre and this game would suit him. Stick him on against the young Cardiff wing Tom James to put him under real pressure. Mean but we need to win and win well.

We might need the points on the board as well as the bonus pints. I remember 04/05 season when we needed the points at Calvisano and we got them.

So Tigers need to be rampant but patient and clever.

GO TIGERS!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

no tualagi?!?!?!?! he's on the form of his life!
lez

Post by lez »

No Louis Deacon he,s got to be first choice secon row after ALL his performances so far this season. :lol:
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

I'd definitely like to see GM at fullback and AT on the wing. Vesty is a really good player, but Geordan Murphy can really run the back three from 15, and his flare combines well with the power of Tuilagi - when you look at the Blues squad it is difficult to see their backline being able to bring down Tuilagi with just one man, and Murphy cutting in to the centre line will cause them troubles with a slight lack of pace in the centres.

Come on Tigers, 5 points!
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Sorry but Murphy has to play at 15, when the choice comes to whether he or Vesty plays at fullback, there's not really a choice.

Cullen and Kay have been outstanding this season, its harsh on Big Jim and Louis but they're our best pair ATM. I admit Hipkiss has been playing better than Smith, but I think that Smith will start clicking soon and this high pressure game could help him. And Tuilagi is in good form, and seems to have matured a lot this season, but Lloyd has looked handy as well lately.

Abraham is unlucky as well, he's been brilliant lately.

1. Ayerza
2. Chuter
3. Castro
4. Cullen
5. Kay
6. Moody
7. Jennings
8. Corry

9. Ellis
10. Humphries
11. Varndell
12. Gibson
13. Smith/ Hipkiss
14. Tuilagi/Lloyd
15. Murphy

16. White
17. Buckland
18. Deacon
19. Crane
20. Bemand
21. Vesty
22. Rabeni/Lloyd/Smith (obviously dependant on who starts)
lez

Post by lez »

1. Ayerza
2. Chuter
3. Castro
4. L Deacon
5. Cllen
6. Moody
7. Jennings
8. Corry

9. Ellis
10. Humphries