England squad for All Blacks announced

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

I am not sure Corry will make the starting 15. I think he should but my guess Forester will get the nod. They muct be thinking of dropping him not wanting to name the captain yet
Liamsdad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Liamsdad »

Not a bad squad and seems to have been picked on form and not on an outdated reputation ( with a few exceptions). Anyone who was at Welford Rd when Gloucester came up earlier this season will admit that they have some exciting young backs and Flood has easily been Newcastle's best so far.

Bit concerned about the cover at prop. Looks like Julian White could be getting some serious game time in November.

I expect that Corry has not been named captain yet as AR has already said that no-one will play more than 3 games so he will have to name a second anyway (probably Sanderson as he did the job in Australia in the summer)

Should be OK against S Africa and Argentina but don't think we can win against the Blacks.[/b]
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Agree about the lack of cover at prop. Although he's only recently come back, I expected to see Vickery. I guess he is a banker for inclusion in the next squad.

Continuing on the front row theme, the inclusion of Mears (rather than Thompson) must mean that Chuter has nailed the starting spot.

Front 5 (IMO) will be:

Sheridan, Chuter, White, Kay and Grewcock.

Not at all sure how Robbo will go for the back row; Corry and Forrester are so different and will impact the calls on 6 and 7.

Perry and Hodgson should be at 9 and 10, with Cueto at 14, but not really sure how he will go with the rest. I think Lewsey is wasted at wing, but it looks like that's where he will be ? I'd rather see him at 15, personally.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Balshaw comes back for 1 club game and gets in the squad. :? :shock: And why, oh why, is Cohen anywhere near the England squad? :? :shock:

At least there is no Tin-dull or FLorence YET. I guess there's still time for the mighty gob to well------- open his gob.
SkippyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by SkippyTiger »

I saw quite shocked when I saw the squad... It's actually possible to pick an exciting looking team from that lot!

I doubt he will but Robbo could pick a very dynamic looking team:

1. Sheridan
2. Mears
3. White
4. Grewcock
5. Jones
6. Sanderson (c)
7. Rees
8. Forrester
9. Richards
10. Flood
11. Sackey
12. Allen
13. Tait
14 Cueto
15 Lewsey

Now I've in no way picked the 'best' or a 'winning team' and such a team would most likely get stuffed... but I'd pay to see them :D
quincy

Post by quincy »

Toby Flood, Balshaw, Sackey!!
Really - what on earth are we doing. Flood, if he plays will be crucified by the All Blacks, just as Tait was by Wales.
Stinks of the influence of the coaching staff looking again at their favorites.
How Balshaw continually gets chosen for England beats me. He is terrible, plus he always gets injured, especially when the chips are down.
Plus it is worrying once again for the Tigers when everyone is away.
Where will we find two second row. Ben Kay away with England, plus the possibility of losing Hamilton to Scotland, Cullen to Ireland and deacon to England.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

Where the heell is ollie SMITH !!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

he definetly should of been in their. but on the whole with the players available, for the first test atleast it wasn't too bad !

with the squad chosen the team i would chose is :

sheridan
chuter
white
grewcock
kay
sanderson
moody
corry (c)

perry
hodgson
lewsey
sackey
tait
cueto
balshaw (the only proper full back in the 30)
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

hold up , http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 087388.stm

ok i'll change - tait for noon if he is out !
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

The reason England won the world cup was because we had solid team for 2/3 years with pretty much the same squad, is no body else worried that 12 months before the world cup Robinson is trying to blood new youngsters into the side? Surely this is a shot in the foot for alot of players. The likes Varndell who got took to oz and came back only to be left out. Players like that need game time not a couple of bench appearances.
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

Backs: I Balshaw (Gloucester), O Morgan (Gloucester), J Lewsey (Wasps), M Cueto (Sale Sharks), P Sackey (Wasps), B Cohen (Northampton), M Tait (Newcastle), A Allen (Gloucester), J Noon (Newcastle), T Flood (Newcastle), C Hodgson (Sale Sharks), A Goode (Leicester), P Richards (Gloucester), S Perry (Bristol).

Forwards: A Sheridan (Sale Sharks), P Freshwater (Perpignan), J White (Leicester), S Turner (Sale Sharks), G Chuter (Leicester), L Mears (Bath), B Kay (Leicester), D Grewcock (Bath), T Palmer (Wasps), C Jones (Sale Sharks), P Sanderson (Worcester), L Moody (Leicester), T Rees (Wasps), M Lund (Sale Sharks), M Corry (Leicester), J Forrester (Gloucester).

ok, my team:
15. Balshaw (don't know who else really)
14. Lewsey
13. Tait
12. Noon
11. Cueto
10. Hodgson
9. Perry
1. Sheridan
2. Chuter
3. White
4. Kay
5. Grewcock
6. Moody
7. Lund
8. Corry

16. Mears
17. Freshwater
18. Palmer
19. Forrester
20. Richards
21. Goode
22. Allen

Wanted to put Lewsey at full-back, but not really sure who to put on the wing instead of him. Back-row was very hard, difficult to leave forrester out of the starting line up after a very good start to the season, but he will make a great impact sub of the bench. Think it is too early for Toby Flood, so Goodey has to go on the bench, due to lack of other options really.
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

chipnchase wrote:The reason England won the world cup was because we had solid team for 2/3 years with pretty much the same squad, is no body else worried that 12 months before the world cup Robinson is trying to blood new youngsters into the side? Surely this is a shot in the foot for alot of players. The likes Varndell who got took to oz and came back only to be left out. Players like that need game time not a couple of bench appearances.
2007 is an absolute write off Chipnchase, just as 1999 was for Woody and his band of men. This has the makings of a very young and talented squad, and we need to get them settled down into a regular team. Yes a lot of the Oz Tourists from the summer should be included, but lets concentrate on the talented youngsters he has included.

Forget 2007, (cheer on France instead :wink:) and let's focus our energies on New Zealand in 2011.
Sideshow
Tiger Cub

Post by Sideshow »

Got to agree almost entirely with Skippy, bar 4 changes but maybe i'm just being a little bit safer! We certainly need a mobile back row to play against the AB's. (I'd have had Voyce in for Sackey but AR denind me that choice).

1. Sheridan
2. Chuter
3. White
4. Grewcock
5. Kay
6. Sanderson (c)
7. Rees
8. Forrester
9. Richards
10. Hodgson
11. Sackey
12. Noon