RFU, Clubs and Relegation

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RoyalBlueStuey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RoyalBlueStuey »

If a sport isn't a meritocracy then what's the point?

It'll just be a rich kids only get-together.

:censored: to it.
Everton is the dominant species. I am Everton
http://garstontowers.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/garstontowers
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

dailywaffle wrote:By the way; no relegation from the Magners League !
Totally different setup though, the English league has many divisions below the premiership, the teams in the magners league are the only ones capable of being professional in the 3 countries.
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

[quote="westy154"]As for the Magners league, well that already has central contracts and franchises, and the large majority of this forum at least are critically opposed to seeing that happen. Yes franchises and regions work in Ireland, New Zealand and Wales (possibly, I don't know about the last one), but I genuinely don't think they would work in England.
[quote]

We dont have central contracts in Wales.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

My apologies. :oops:
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

There have been talks about this before but nothing really happened and I reckon the clubs would be: Worcester, Quins, Bristol and Newcastle. If it is scrapped though it would be a real shame as it is exciting for all of the other fans to se and predict who is going to stay up or not. this would be an absoloute disaster for National One clubs as ther would be nothing to really aim for.

DON'T DO THIS RFU.
expectingA tigerCUB
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by expectingA tigerCUB »

ridiculous idea, wheres the fun in that!!!!
champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by champanzie »

what are the RFU doing to the game. if this follows through and happens it will distroy the premership. the lower clubs who are not playing so well will just give up at the end of the season because they know they cant will or get anywhere and they know they cant lose.
Come on you tigers!
King Kong
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by King Kong »

Its a rubbish idea, because ti keeps rugby confined to certain areas of the country. If they were to ring fence the premiership they need another team from the north, maybe Leeds, another from the South West, and another in the South East. For that to happen they will need to remove some clubs already in the premiership whuch isnt going to happen.
Ring fencing the premiership can acheive nothing that is positive.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

definetly KEEP PROMOTION + RELEGATION if you rid us of it it will spoil are game ! :x
if they want to change something maybe they should do what super league have done and said if you ve been promoted this year you cant go down this season so say 11th could go down !
although thinking about it that would make clubs more affraid of losing !
now i've confused myself :?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I could have seen some merit in ring fencing the premiership 10 or so years ago to give the clubs a chance to get established in the professional era. To do it now is just complete and utter nonsense.

It's bad enough having a league where the top club may get nothing at all whereas the 4th placed club could get a trophy. Has anyone noticed who is top of the GP by the way? According to such a system they would still be in Nat 1 and Rotherham would be in the GP.

If they think that I would pay to watch league games in such a situation then they are very misguided. I would not bother watching GP games at all as they would be largely irrelevant and the only interest for me would then be the HC and the Powergen cup (or whatever it's called this year).
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

expectingA tigerCUB wrote:ridiculous idea, wheres the fun in that!!!!

And that is the most perfect and concise reason I have heard yet!!!!!!!!!
EssexTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by EssexTiger »

I would to hear Peter Wheelers interpretation on this.

I also think it is crazy, the people who won't think its crazy are the 'owners' with loads of money involved!