Team for Saturday

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

G'Day Jon,

Sorry for labouring the point about Gibbo and Ayerza but this whole thing is causing me some confusion!!

I see, so the Welsh teams can't do well enough under the other ruling!! :wink: Gibbo might be right about the New Zealanders inventing substitutions!! :wink:

The whole Kolpack area is very confusing and perhaps contentious. To be honest, I also find it strange that Reihana is also playing which is why I have asked a question about whether he is qualified under the Kolpack on the Saints forum!! Wish me luck!! :wink:
smith482
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by smith482 »

simon redshaw wrote:Dailywaffle - Yes but both were in the 22 when we played Bath as Gibbo came on for Marcos Ayerza for a while. So that confounds the argument against Gibbo and Ayerza being in the same squad for the GP matches.

The only reason as I see it is that Pat does not want to bring off someone else in the GP matches as well as Marcos Ayerza to allow Daryl Gibson to come on.

Smith482 - Fair point about Pat working working with the guys on a daily basis etc, but the issue with many is that they do not see Paul Burke as being of the standard we need to challenge Andy. If somebody like Ian Humpreys is playing well for the Development and is playing with confidence, why not pitch him into a game like this for a half at least and give him some confidence in the big games? What gets some people's backs up s that Burke is put in again after 1 and a bit mediocre games but Ian is ignored time after time.

I wholeheartedly agree about Ian Humphreys Simon - I said earlier in the thread I didn't understand why he wasn't getting a start because he has really impressed me in the development team

So I am in agreement with you about Humpreys!!
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

BelperJon wrote:G'day Simon,

I think the crucial bit is 'on the pitch'. If memory serves me correctly, Ayerza was brought on a sub for Castro which meant Gibbo had to be subbed as well. My guess is the two overseas players rule is to give the Welsh teams more of a chance. :wink: Did you know it was a New Zealander who invented substitutions in 1949, according to Gibbo. :wink:

As far as I know, the Kolpack ruling only applies to EU nationals and the Pacific Islanders (Fiji, Tonga & Samoa) and not Aussies, Kiwis, Saffas etc. So, unless Reihana had been naturalised or considered to be an EU national, something ain't quite right.
Reihana has got a French passport, that is how he qualifies :shock:
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Now I understand!! Somebody on the saints Forum has got back and they say that they believe that one of Bruce Reihana' parents are French.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Sorry to diverse here!!

My nephew who is 21 months has a British by birth father and an American mother so when he is a big lad he should be able to take up British Citizenship automatically and play rugby here on those lines and live and work here. In theory that is!!

However, I understand the American authorities say that he can't do that. Obviously, a different system applies in the States.
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Rizzo wrote:I think that's rather harsh on Burke - or is he now the new scapegoat instead of Goodey?

Humphreys is on the bench anyway.
He's not a scapegoat by any means. He's merely a poor player who I've always loathed. When he was at Quins I described him as the most boring ten in world rugby, and that was when he could kick!

I don't look for scapegoats Rizzo, I just felt against Quins he was one of the worst. Ten is an integral position, we need a quality player playing there. I'd like to seen Humphries given some game time.
Chris Lunson
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Chris Lunson »

I cant believe that Burke is in the team again he was terrible against Quins!

Newport are a much better side than Quins so if Burke plays badly again we could really strugle.

At least we have Humphreys on the bench.
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

Simon if your nephew wants to play for England all he has to do is get involved with the Englaish Rugby Academy (you have to be good enough) they then ask you to sign a waiver forfeiting the right to play for your country of Birth. A collegue of mine told me about as he is Australian and his son has just signed the waiver...he wanst too impressed, as his son is very very good.

On the team selection for Saturday..I love it.
Well done Pat how do you prepare for two centres who can tackle and are very pacey? Im really pleased Ollie is at inside centre as he will offer so much. The pack looks awesome and the backline speaks for itself.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

On the subject of Saints players. They have had, before Reihanas injury. Reihana, Spencer and Mark Robinson ( who is aussie I think) playing on the pitch at the same time. So we know that Reihana ok because he is french but how does it work with having both Spencer and Robinson on the pitch? Is it because Robinson qualifies through residency? cos if not then they must be breaking the rules.

I'm surprised Tigers signed Ayerza if they knew they were going to have this problem.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

G, you find a moan in everything. Ayerza is a fine prop, good news for any club's front row. He is the second "fully foreign" player in the Tigers squad. It isn't much of a problem not to have him and Gibbo on the field at the same time. I don't give a tinker's cuss what Saints do. They're from Northampton.
King Kong
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by King Kong »

Its not the greatest team in the world, but, at least Smith is back, and we get the chance to see some of the other players, like the front row.