Overseas players

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Sparkie

Overseas players

Post by Sparkie »

:D When did the RFU introduce the rule of only one overseas player on the pitch at any one time. Could this cause us a major problem during internationals when we have so many home grown players away.
The older I get the better I use to play.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

During the AIs and 6Ns we are allowed up to 3.
GeddingtonTiger

Post by GeddingtonTiger »

There is already a large post on this futher down the forum page. It explains everything very well.
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

pellsey i'm not sure thats true - whats your reference?

its been there at least 2/3 seasons, but the defintion of a non-eu qualified player is pretty broad and their are lots of exceptions. hence the tuilagis etc are eu-qualified.

at saints bruce reihana has a french passport so qualifies, budgen is in hm forces etc.

spencer was our only overseas player last year (part of the reason the guff over our 'foreign legion' rankled) this year we have the argentinian hooker cortese too. have as many as you like but you can only field one at a time.

i guess you are only noticing the rule now that its become a direct issue for you
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

i'm now told that cortese is eu-qualified through family connections, so who would have thought it - tigers have twice as many overseas players as saints :wink:

prepare for media criticism, guys.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

there is another thread to this but i may as well join in here also

The RFU have only got themselves to blame for all this "overseas" players who aren't "overseas" players business ie the granny's french pasport brigade and the South Sea islanders are excempt milarky

If it wasn't for the riduclous scheduling of International matches and the issue compounded with international age group fixtures and matches for the England A, B nad C teams then maybe clubs would feel more encouraged to bring on the accademy players and play them when required - in the World cup year prior to the arrival of the whole Tuilagi family - we got slaughtered and Deano got fired - now a few south sea island dynasties later and some very EU Argentin..................Italians later and we are up there fighting out with the rest of the foriegn Legions

..........Oh and where are the English rugby team ---------------in a pile of Sh....
Sparkie

Post by Sparkie »

Thanks guys I hadn't noticed this ruling until I read the team sheet on the home page.:D
The older I get the better I use to play.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

mightymouse wrote:there is another thread to this but i may as well join in here also

The RFU have only got themselves to blame for all this "overseas" players who aren't "overseas" players business ie the granny's french pasport brigade and the South Sea islanders are excempt milarky

If it wasn't for the riduclous scheduling of International matches and the issue compounded with international age group fixtures and matches for the England A, B nad C teams then maybe clubs would feel more encouraged to bring on the accademy players and play them when required - in the World cup year prior to the arrival of the whole Tuilagi family - we got slaughtered and Deano got fired - now a few south sea island dynasties later and some very EU Argentin..................Italians later and we are up there fighting out with the rest of the foriegn Legions

..........Oh and where are the English rugby team ---------------in a pile of Sh....

Rubbish. The AIs & 6 Nations have been around for YEARS.

It';s the fault of the PRL and the clubs that Premiership matches play through these periods, not the RFU.

The desisions to play on the same dates as International games was supported unanimously by all of the club chairmen on the last 2 occasions they voted!

It has nothing to do with the RFU. It's not as if the 6 Nations or Autumn Internationals are new things are they?

Unlike the play-offs of course.... (Another PRL/clubs idea incidentally, not the RFU's)
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

What do they class as overseas because we have 3 overseas players in the starting line up for Gloucester game if you count Murphy and Cullen from Ireland :D

Ireland is over the sea is it not? :wink:

That would make Murphy, Cullen and Rabeni.

Seriously though, what do they class as overseas?

Is it that overseas is only outside of Europe or does someone from France for example class as overseas?
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

"overseas" is actually non-EU, ie players without EU working rights.

Players with EU working rights include players from ALL EU countries, plus South Africa, Samoa, Tonga & Fiji.

Therefore, Geordan, Bukrke, the other Murphys , Fidel, Moreno, Hickie, the Tuilagis & Seru etc all count as "EU under the Kopak & Bosman rulings.

Only Gibson & Ayerza count as non-EU players in terms of the quota.

Simple.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Beautifully put, Dave. Clear as can be, thanks !

It does seem a little absurd, does it not, that the practical consequence is that clubs should favour South Africans and South Sea Islanders over New Zealanders and South Americans when recruiting.

Which is why, I guess, most Argentinian props somehow become Italian :wink:
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Does teh ruling still appply that after so many years an overseas player no longer counts as over seas. I think Perry Freshwater is an example.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Sort of Mat, but only if they then become citizens. I'm not sure how Perry Freshwater worked, whether he became a citizen or whether he had a British parent. Maybe someone can shed some light?
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Perry's father was English, wasn't he ? I think that's how he qualified to be eligible for England selection.

Now, I am guessing here, but if you are qualified to play for the national side you can't possibly be 'overseas' ...... even if you are a Kiwi !