Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Strong words from Andrew

Post by Iain »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/5323970.stm

Very surprising in fact. You'd think at this stage the party line would be "we are behind our coach and he will guide us through to the World Cup". Clearly not. I look forward to seeing how their relationship develops...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 4 »

What relationship!?!?
He just wants to make sure he distances himself jsut enough for no blame to be attached on him whatsoever when the red roses fail in the WC! He's as bad as teflon tony! He's out in a year.......
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

At least for the moment, I'm personally going to try my best to support this new structure (doesn't mean I completely believe in it...) and and judge the results over the next 6 months. If things don't improve, certain heads need to be chopped (IE OBNSG's). Although RA is not exactly my favourite person, I think he will do a better job of the "management" position than OBNSG. RA should keep his selection policy in trim a little.. I hope.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Yes, it was interesting, wasn't it ? They seemed to be saying that Robbo wouldn't allow himself to be put into a '4 against 1' situation, ah, the joys of selecting by committe.

OK, we have had a very strong hint that Robbo won't be around after 2007, as many have previously posted. The interesting thing is now whether or not he will actually make the RWC (if the AIs are a disaster).
Bingham Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Bingham Tiger »

I'm starting to think the Robbo won't be there come the 2007 RWC, and hopefully he won't make it past the Autumn internationals. I'm not willing us to lose, but if the performances as well as the results aren't up to scratch then he may be given the boot (this is me volunteering my size 12 boot to do the kicking). We have three top quality coaches, especially Wells and Ashton, that could take over the job, and do it well.

Come on Andrew, do us a favour and get rid of him. He can then go and coach at Barf
"Try not. Do, or do not... There is no try" ..... Yoda was obviously a Bath fan
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Following on from BT, I think England having a bad set of AI results is a price well worth paying to see Robbo out. Frankly, the AIs mean little to me, I don't even watch them half the time, and they just add to player burn out. Probably not good for morale, mind, but on recent (coaching) form we are going to be an embrassment next year.

Come on SA/NZ/Argentina !
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

You know I'd sooner England win, Robinson proves us wrong and we go on and do well at the World Cup. I'd take success from whoever is in charge. I don't think any situation could exist where I'd want to see any side I was a supporter of losing.
I think he should go if results don't go his way, but I'm not going to will England to lose to hasten the process.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

But Iain, would you rather have rampant mediocrity, and Robbo hang on by the skin of his teeth, limping along to failure at the RWC ?

I am, of course, assuming that Robbo coaching us to glory is less likely than the other outcome !
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I am an optimist by heart, especially when it comes to the Tigers. But England are simply not gonig to win next year so it barely matters who is head coach. I want England to win as much as possible, even if OBNSG is there or not.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

What a lovely set of mixed messages from RA.

Waffling on about the system supporting the national coach from above and below, then saying he'll be sacked soon if results don't improve.

All these leaders in our country who'll be out of a job within twelve months. Must be catching!
Tom_Naz the Tiger

Post by Tom_Naz the Tiger »

Does anyone else think it is a 'too many cooks' situation.

Aside from Robinson, there is Andrew, Brian Ashton, John Wells and Mike Ford.

It wouldn't be shock of the century if any one of them were in sole charge.

I know it is completely different, but imagine in football if Ferguson, Wenger, Benetiz and Mourinho were all in charge at England ie recipie for disaster.

Do people think they can all work together?
Bingham Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Bingham Tiger »

dailywaffle wrote:Following on from BT, I think England having a bad set of AI results is a price well worth paying to see Robbo out. Frankly, the AIs mean little to me, I don't even watch them half the time, and they just add to player burn out. Probably not good for morale, mind, but on recent (coaching) form we are going to be an embrassment next year.

Come on SA/NZ/Argentina !
The autumn internationals are always important. They are against southern hem teams, and it's always good experience/practice to play them, otherwise the only time we wouldplay them would be in crucial WC games. Also England only have 16 or so games to put things right or on the right path before the WC. The autumn ints account for about a quarter of those games. For England at the moment every game is important and significant because we haven't got time to waste. We need to have a good autumn, and then carry it through to a good 6 nations, because I love the 6 nations tournament, and am getting tired of losing to the French, Irish, and now the Scots and finishing about 4th.

I'll be behind the England team and Robbo at the autumn ints, and will always be behind whoever is in charge, even if I think he should be replaced.
"Try not. Do, or do not... There is no try" ..... Yoda was obviously a Bath fan
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Look it's fairly certain (barring miracles) that Robbocoach will be gone by the end of his current contract, which is after the next RWC. I cannot see anyway the contact will be renewed. So all RA has to do is sit back and wait, it is clear that in this respect that he is in a no lose situation.

The real question is does RA really, really want England to do well in RWC 2007 or just forget it and take his time rebuilding for RWC 2011? That is the decision that he MUST make and must make soon.

If it is the former then he has to have a showdown with AR, which RA will win, and then appoint a new head coach in time to give us a chance.

If it is the latter then, maybe it is the most pragmatic, but for me the more cowardly approach, and so probably the most likely.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Much as I would like to think that a new Coach would deliver us the World Cup next year - don't think so. It's too late, and the players are not good enough to beat the likes of NZ/Aus. The Autumn Internationals wil be THE guide for me,
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Some interesting points here. In no particular order:

Robbo will be gone after the RWC.
Robbo may be gone sooner, probably depending on how the AIs go.
Whilst not fact, I think many would agree with the above two statements.

Robbo has shown himself to be incapable of successfully coaching the national side.
This is subjective, but most would agree.

Andrew wants to plan for a successful (the bench mark being a semi-final appearance) RWC 2007.
Tricky, many would say that the chance has gone, but it is what we want to see.

Andrew is planning for a successful RWC in 2011.
All agree.

If one accepts that Robbo is not competent and IF Andrew believes that success at 2007 is still achievable then, by default, he has to sack Robbo. The AIs will give him the opportunity (set against the RFUs own targets), hence my reason for my initial post. I do not normally wish for England to do poorly, but in this case the means justify the ends.

The only reason to keep Robbo for 2007 (6 Nations and RWC) would be if either:
a) you believe he is still the man for the job, or
b) you believe that 2007 is doomed anyway, and we might as well see out his contract.