Tigers 35-23 Sale: Your view!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MIGHTY-MORENO

Post by MIGHTY-MORENO »

The lads were fantastic today and thoroughly deserved their victory. The Tigers pack was immense throughout and the front row performed superbly. I know its early days yet, but todays team looked a force which is more than capable of doing the business this season!

:D Well done Tigers!!!!
Former Prop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Former Prop »

I remember watching Munster v Sale in the heineken last year and saw that when they stopped Chabal, they stopped Sale.
We did the same today, he was completely ineffective (even the Sale fans near us were moaning about him).
Without mentioning specific players, as I thought the whole team did well,perhaps a small mention for our new back row player - JAMES BUCKLAND. :lol:
MIGHTY-MORENO

Post by MIGHTY-MORENO »

:lol: Great call, Former Prop. Cabbage in the back row was a surprise to us all! Slotted in nicely though... Its gonna take a barnstorming performance from a certain Lewis Moody to regain his position there! :P
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I think Cabbage was very useful! In the scrum that led to our penalty try he was on the blindside fully aware of what Sheridan was trying to do, and was able to spot the tricks and draw attention to them being a front rower himself. Excellent stuff!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Everyone has covered how good we were, but to add something else, it proved today to me that we have a decent squad of players who could very possibly hold their own when the internationals start. My particular highlight was seeing Martin Corry rampaging up field on more than half a dozen occasions...fantastic and hasn't been seen for a while. He looked refereshed and hungry. Great performance lads...keep it up.
rangrave

Tigers v Sale

Post by rangrave »

Agree with everyone Martin Corry had a fantastic game - great to see him going forward ball in hand. Castro looks a good signing. Great also to see Gibson back to his controlling best. Who is the new baldy on the pa? He missed most of the announcements of replacements - Please don't subject us all to the sit down if you are in such and such a stand to find the winner of the Guiness competition each match it will loose its impact. On the Sale side I thought Lund was snubbed out as well as Chabal but was very impressed with Hodgson - his try was top draw and some of his breaks electric without being in top gear it seemed
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

yep...good news for England ...Hodgson had a good game, as did JW apparently ?
Ollie smith rules
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ollie smith rules »

JW was ok. Missed a few kicks which could have won them the game but mucked in and played well
:-) TIGERS rock especially Ollie, CRANE, Moody, Crofty, and Matt C :-)
Proud Tigers Fan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Proud Tigers Fan »

What an outstanding game Corry had. Lead by example for 80 mins. Could'nt see the mom award going to anyone else. Great stuff.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Add to todays performance the fact that we have Alesana Tuilagi, Lloyd, Smith, Ellis, Crane, Ayerza and Moody all able to be thrown in who were unavailable today in the coming weeks and I think this points to very good strength in depth.
Important not to get carried away with the first game but there was real cause for optimism today.
fatbast

Post by fatbast »

Superb result and a thrilling game despite the best efforts of the man in the middle, some of the calls missed by Spreadbury were laughable, i was on the terrace and couldn't believe some of the things he missed, he wasn't helped by the nearside touch judge either but c'mon!

The Forwards were awesome today and the way the Sale back row (comfortably one of the best out there) were nullified is a credit to all involved, Goode's hit on 'Seabass' was just plain ugly but oooh boy was it effective! i bet when he woke up and was told that he was nailed by our new 'slimline' No10 he was gutted...

I thought Robinson looked poor and if he really wants his England job back he'll have to produce far more, he didn't back himself around the corner on several occasions and his passing was feeble, Sheridan also looked well below par, understandable i guess but he was wrecked up front and the penalty try was down to him being squeezed.

For the boys i thought Geordan was superb and easily the pick of the bunch, Cozza's marauding runs from deep just pipped Murphy to the MOTM award and rightly so but there were negatives too (and no, i'm not one of the doom and gloom boys, just a realist) Sam Vesty had holes in his hands and couldn't deal with the high ball which is unusual but it's early doors so it's forgivable and Tom Varndell was awful in defence as usual, i have to say that (imo) we looked a better team with Tom off the pitch, i'm not knocking the kid but he has to work on his defence big time because flailing attempts to grab the shoulder of an onrushing opponent just don't cut it.

Bemand was brilliant too imo as was Gibbo, in fact i'd go so far as to say Gibbo's performance was the best i've seen from him in many a game!

All in all, a superb start to the season and i'd also like to mention the quality of the Sale fans too (with the exception of the bird who yelled out just as Goode struck the first penalty) we stood with a group of 10 or so Sale folk and had a :censored: good laugh all afternoon with them, they know their rugby, they're not bigheaded and certainly have not bought into the hype of being favourites to win the title and they offered great vocal support too, it was also nice to join forces against Mr Spreadbury! not one complained about the (justified) yellow card nor the penalty try and i for one can't wait for the rematch!

Oh...the new mascot was a relief too, i never liked those orange things!
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Great Result, Great performance.

I thought "Sideshow Bob", who came on in place of Seru Rabeni, who had mysteriously gone missing, was particularly impressive.
Sparkie

Post by Sparkie »

:D After that dominant forward display from the Tigers I think Sale are probably wishing that uncontested scums had been introduced for the start of this season.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Westwinds described Corry as "refreshed and hungry".

That's a good shout, and I think it applied to a lot of our players out there.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

It was a great and enjoyable start to the season - despite a few bewildering decisions by Spreaders. Cozza looked fabulous, those storming runs showed he's benefited from some rest and he was certainly leading from the front.
Geordan was amazing as always. In fact they all looked hungry and ready for action.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother