Spreaders gets it wrong again

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mr G

Spreaders gets it wrong again

Post by Mr G »

I cant believe how many mistakes one man can make in a game. If I ever needed proof that you are past your sell by date Tony today was it, shocking. :oops:

As for the touch judges, my wife could do better. :oops:

Its such a shame that a cracking Tigers performance was so nearly spoilt by a man that should not be on the field.
Tigers forever.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I generally think he controlled the game fairly well (as he usually does) but let his performance down with some odd decisions. As he hadn't called for the conversion to be re-placed Chuter was right to charge the kick down and the original miss should have stood. Also there were a couple of knock-ons that he should have seen and a baffling oversighting of two or three Sale forwards coming in at the side.
I would have been more concerned had he lost control of the game, which I don't think he did. As it was, I was just a bit baffled by some isolated decisions.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Might not have the best game BUT still was talking to the players. His majestic run to to the posts to award the penalty try was too be applauded; if I was a sale fan I would have said it was too early.
Gibson played a blinder and looked really up for it.
If anyone gets one over the front row this season it will be a miracle or during the 6N.
Mr G

Post by Mr G »

Thats very diplomatic Iain, as he made some right howlers.

What concerns me the most is the fact that all the refs and touch judges seem so in-consistent with their decisions, week in week out.
Tigers forever.
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

Spreaders wasnt as bad as that Mr G. Although the pass tp Ripol was forward it was quite clear on the TV.

He did miss a couple of obstructions...some by Ben Kay at the ruk where Bemand charged through....ahem

All in all it all worked out even. As for the kick it had to be retaken as Charlie had not started his run in that instance in the eyes of the law he can replace the kick and retake it.
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

I thought he had a fair game, it was swings & roundabouts
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I thought Hodgeson had moved, which constitutes starting his run up. Spreaders seemed at a loss about what to do for a while. Yes, he kept talking to the players and seems to command some respect from them, but I do think that the professional era has yet to be really embraced by the officials. 'Gamesmanship' by the players (or 'cheating' if you're a Tiger) isn't controlled (or even spotted) by the refs. This I find worrying.

Just for the record, I think he should have given the penalty try earlier in the series of scrums. But sure, we were'nt angels at other times either.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
hodge
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by hodge »

i disagree i think that spreaders is one of the best refs in the league m8 hes never biased fair enuff that kick that chuter chased down was a dodgy decision but hes a good ref.
Tigers rock
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tigers rock »

Well i'm going ot be honest on this forum. I really really really dislike this ref i dont think he should be refereeing because he seems to not notice the important things today. there was knock on's and all sorts coming from sale but he did not notice one thing. He actually made a good choice in giving us a penalty try he must of had a happy pill or something i don't like the man as a ref but hey at least we won.
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Yes he missed things, there should have been a penalty try in the first half, but he can't see it all and it is time that the touch judges were involved a lot more, other than just marking where the ball goes out of play, and Geordan disagreed with a couple of those today. Also the video ref should be allowed to give retrospective information, not necessarily to reverse a double movement when scoring a try, but to yellow card an incident where the ref has missed it.
keef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by keef »

i have no problem with spreaders as a ref,they cant see everything and at least he is consistant and fair.i definatly think the touch judges should be more involved a lot of them seem to leave it all to the ref they could be more involved.

i thought the game was fantastic!
The Future's Bright,The Future's Stripey!
Rlinksteve
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Rlinksteve »

Have you ever thought that the referee was unsighetd by players in his line of sight. He is only human and does the best on all occasions.

We can all be one eyed when things are not going our way.

I think Spreaders had a reasonable game and contrlled it very well.

He is one of the best refs that we currently have in the Premiership. There are some younger and upcoming refs who will make the mark in time.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Being a referee is difficult!

All in all I think Spreaders did OK. And he does allow play to develop.

I am far more concerned about the lack of involvement of the touch judges - one of whom ignored a blatant case of stamping.
sharkfan14

Spreaders

Post by sharkfan14 »

How is it that we all enjoy the games Spreaders referees but he missses key decisions that affect the result (eg Newcastle final)?

Is this what we should be encouraging Chris White to do as it takes me days to get rid of the whistling in my ears?

Best incident for me was Jonesy asking /telling Spreaders a Leicester offence was persistent and he got a verbal essay in return

Jonesy was rightly sent off but there were two incidents against Sale which looked more serious - Billy's neck in the first and using your Goode arm to prevent a try from the grubber under the posts

Moans over, Spreader seems to have little idea what goes on in scrums, like most english referes he has a different interpretation to the rest of IRB

If we do not get this sorted out Mr J White will not be winning penalty tries against NZ or SA but the penalty count against him will lose England the games

Thought you deserved to win on day. Let's hope we can put both sides together to celebrate St Patrick's day with a win for the whites against the reds.
dozza

Post by dozza »

To be fair to the ref there was a hell of a lot going on off the ball i.e. offsides, obstructions etc.

From where I stood it seemed that the Touch Judges watch where the ball is all the time. That is exactly what the ref is watching. They need to look for things that the ref has no chance of seeing and make a decision.

Have you noticed how old the touch judges are these days? Is the RFU policy 'well you are to old to ref so you better be a touch judge'? These guys need to be as good as the man in the middle!!!
Lions Tour to SA '97. Why did it have to be Guscott with the drop goal?!!! It almost makes you wish that we had lost!!!