WHERE WAS EVERYBODY TONIGHT?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

that wasn't the new announcer - it was a stand-in for that particular game, but I can't remember the dude's name. Martin Ballard is the new announcer, Chris Egerton will do academy games I believe.

Yes, I have the luxury of living in Oadby and working in Leicester. (although if you knew Oadby you'd question the word 'luxury) but I still pay for my ticket, pay for my parking and would do my utmost to get to any game within driving distance - even if it means being picked up from work at 5pm, changing in the car and arriving 5 mins before kick off at, say, Bristol, or wherever. (that's merely an example).

I feel sorry for those who live some distance away, but if you really want to attend, you will break you back to get there. If you don't, for whatever reason - don't want the rushing about, don't want to park a distance away, don't want to pay for the ticket on top of the season ticket, then that's your choice. But don't slag off people who do!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

gman wrote:I'm under the impression that other (maybe less financially successful) clubs don’t charge members for friendlies? I'm sure it would be argued that this helps to keep our ST prices down but it would have been good to have some more support.

Its true, some other clubs include friendlies "free" in with their STs but they have higher ST prices in the first place as a result. Therefore, you do still pay for the ticket, whether you want to go or not.

And even then, it still doesn't guarantee a big crowd.

Northampton include their friendly tickets in with the ST but still only managed a half-full stadium on Saturday for their game against Treviso. It just shows that it doesn't always guarantee large attendances even if people have got "free" tickets.
RayDTuTu

Post by RayDTuTu »

A friend told me the announcer was former Leicestershire cricketer Charlie Dagnall.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/stats/players/misc ... 87,PP.html

Apparently he does sport on BBC Leicester now.
Chesterfield Chris
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Chesterfield Chris »

I think hols probably had alot to do with the low crowd.

I travelled from Chesterfield with my son paid £15 in total for the tickets - probably £20 on booze and snap - parked for nowt(as usual) and we had a great time. Usual craic with buddies we stand with (Hiya Beast how yer doing?) and good fun with Spreaders especially when Murph grabbed a 5 metre throw in which Tone mistakenly thought hadnt gone the distance?! :)

On the rugby side I tought there were some promising things to come out of the game and look forward to Sale in 2 weeks time. :D
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

With me finishing work at 6pm even if I wanted to break my back to get their coming from Chesterfield to get to the ground for a Friday night game is nigh on impossible. And unfortuantely for me as I work in a care home for the elderly and I am the only one there who provides the afternoon tea there is no way that I could leave early. That for me is my main reason for not renewing my season ticket this season.

If I do have an opportunity to attend any games the only one's feasible for me would be Saturday. But as the trend seems to be more towards Friday games then I can't see myself attending many.

I do feel the main reason for such a low attendance was the fact it was being played on a Friday and the fact it may not have been an important game as it was only a friendly is what kept people away.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

g there is only one game scheduled for a Friday thus far. Yes, I'm sure one or two others may change but the vast majority? That won't happen. I'm sure you'll be able to get to a fair few games.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Iain

Come on. You know full well that there will be more than 1 or 2 games that will change to a Friday night. Yes at the moment there is only on scheduled for a Friday but as we get in to the swing of things it will turn out like last season. In the end it turned out that there were more Friday games than Saturday and I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will back me up on this. So the trend is changing and I am almost certain that the season will end up where there are more fri games than Sat.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Lies, damned lies & statistics eh g?

A lot of away games will definitely be Friday nights but do you really think that Tigers will end up this season with more home games on Friday nights than on Saturdays?

It's not happened previously!

Last season there were 6 home games on a Friday, 10 on a Saturday, 3 on a Sunday & 1 on a Monday.

Included within those 6 Friday gamse were a pre-season friendly & the Barbarians game; neither of which were included on the ST, so only four ST games were on Fridays!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

....................Sitting in the pouring rain looking at a flooded BBQ and a cancelled Abergavenny CC junior awards evening. :cry:

It all got cancelled too late to make the trip! I guess we could have got in at the door ?? (For once!!)
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

My God. Bid Dai lives. Be praised!!
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Yes dave Angel I do think Tigers will end up playing more games on a Friday than they will on a Saturday. We ended up missing at least 6 or 7 games towards the back end of last season because they were Friday night games. And please don't tell me I'm wrong we know what games we missed and that is one of the reasons we have not renewed this season.

Oh and it's been made obvious by Pat Howaed that he would prefer Friday games so if he gets the chance he will opt for them.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Yep Phil. He lives! Bin playing and coaching Cricket! (No comments on Oval ball tampering PLEASE!)

Had a good summer yourselves one and all??
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

g wrote:Yes dave Angel I do think Tigers will end up playing more games on a Friday than they will on a Saturday. We ended up missing at least 6 or 7 games towards the back end of last season because they were Friday night games. And please don't tell me I'm wrong we know what games we missed and that is one of the reasons we have not renewed this season.

Oh and it's been made obvious by Pat Howaed that he would prefer Friday games so if he gets the chance he will opt for them.
the players themselves prefer a Friday night game to a Sunday one if they cannot have the Saturday for whatever reason - it's too short a time between a Sunday afternoon game and the following Saturday, so it was said at a Members evening last season,

Saturday games still out number Friday nights though.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

"Rugby is a game best played on a Saturday afternoon preferably kicking off at 3 o'clock."

P. Wheeler
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

g wrote:Yes dave Angel I do think Tigers will end up playing more games on a Friday than they will on a Saturday. We ended up missing at least 6 or 7 games towards the back end of last season because they were Friday night games. And please don't tell me I'm wrong we know what games we missed and that is one of the reasons we have not renewed this season.

I'm not disputing the number of games you may have missed g as I don't know who you are.

However, the fact remains that Tigers only played 6 Friday night games ALL SEASON, including the pre-season friendly! Therefore, if you missed 6 or 7 games at the bac end of the year, they can't all have been Friday night ones....unless you turned up on the wrong day of course.

The ONLY Friday night home games last year were as follows:
Munster 26/8/05 (friendly)
Newcastle 14/10/05 (GP)
Irish 25/11/05 (GP)
Worcester 17/2/06 (GP)
Leeds 10/5/06 (GP)
Barbarians 17/5/06 (Friendly)

If you know of any other games that Tigers played on a Friday night last season I'd love for you to tell me as I think that 16,814 other people will have missed them as well! :lol:

(The only other WR game on a Friday was the Development friendly against Barbados on 19/5/06 which was free entry and therefore wouldn't have troubled your ST either).

I think you may be imagining things.... :roll: