So the club has made record profits

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WiganTiger

So the club has made record profits

Post by WiganTiger »

The board will be happy at least - but imagine how much more profit we'd make if we actually won something! The time has surely come to spend the money somewhere to improve the team still further.
Leicester: Home to Premiership Rugby, First Class Cricket (we;;, sort of) and Third Division Football
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

er ........

.....salary cap !!!!
Less is more....
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Sod it - let's by Dan Carter..... :lol: :lol:
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Very true, but if it can be seen that the Premiership clubs are more successful financially, then surely the amount that can be spent on players should be increased as the present cap is getting pretty unworkable IMO. As has been said there is a case for the salary cap to be a percentage of turnover.

If for instance that was up to 20%, then Tigers would have on current turnover up to £3million to spend on players rather then the current £1.97 million, I believe.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Percentage of gate receipts... I like that Simon. Therefore (when WR is big enough to actually hold the huge number of Tigers' fans ;) ) we should have the most money to spend on players and get better and better ;)

Unfortunately, can't see it happen. Unfortunately.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

the original post was critical of the board - not sure why when we already spend our salary cap within the current rules.

some "fans" of this club can be a little too critical IMHO - why not praise them for a well run business that is profitable ? The fans play a huge part in that success but they do not guarantee it !!
Less is more....
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Then there is the argument that when you raise the salary cap, players will ask for more rather than increase the possibility of getting better players. Then to accommodate this rise, the gate prices / season tickets go up. :(
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I just loved Peter Tom's sideswipe " ....and this is not only good news for the Premiership clubs and their supporters, but also for the RFU and the England team.”
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

That is true, Pellsey, but you could also say that there is no reward for a club like Tigers who are now very successful financially. (At least in Rugby Terms) You could have ever increasing pre-tax profits but because of the salary cap level, have no or very little opportunity to do anything beneficial with the increased income. O.k. there is the expansion of WR but after that there will be more money in the bank unused again.

I still think the Salary Cap should be related to Gate Receipts or to Turnover so that the more successful financially a club is then the more they have to spend on salaries. We all want the best players to be bought when needed, for Tigers . It will have to be related though to how many players are on the books and their calibre. There would be no room for players to take advantage of the system. Should certain players decide they then just want more money as a result of the increased pot to spend on salaries, then the club can just tell them:

- Sorry Mate, we have XYZ players on or will be on our books, this is what we pay, If you don't like that go somewhere else! Once they saw that they couldn't do better elsewhere, then they'd see sense.

After all, we can't just say to our bosses just because XYZ company is now making big profits, I want a pay rise! Or at least I couldn't just do that at RM!

ANYWAY, WELL DONE TO OUR BOARD - MESSRS TOM, WHEELER ET AL FOR SUCH A GREAT PERFORMANCE IN MAKING TIGERS VERY SUCCESSFUL FINANCIALLY
Last edited by simon redshaw on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I can't believe that the club announcing record financial results can attract anything other than praise! They are a company for crying out loud. A public one at that. They are obliged to provide the best possible return for its shareholders (which I might add are mainly season ticket holders and regular supporters). Yes we are a club, but we are also a business. A business is judged on its profits, this is good news all round for ground improvements and investment on development of young players. Whats to complain about?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Simon

Firstly, I think there is something to be said for linking the Salary Cap to turnover or gate receipts - I think the French do this - each clubs "operating plan" has to approved by their union. However, smaller (unprofitable) Clubs will whinge demanding a "level playing field"

Secondly, the dream that Tigers will become a cash cow is some way off I think - it will take many years to pay for the rebuilding of Welford Road.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Iain

As a shareholder, season ticket holder and regular supporter, as I have often said on the forum Peter Tom and the Board have my full support both in their financial management of the club, their plans for expansion and their position in negotiating for the greater good of the game.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Iain - totally agree
Bill W - I dont think Simon thinks we are a cash cow, just that we are being very well managed within the constraints we face
Less is more....
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I was responding to Simons comment "You could have ever increasing pre-tax profits but because of the salary cap level, have no or very little opportunity to do anything beneficial with the increased income. O.k. there is the expansion of WR but after that there will be more money in the bank unused again.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Bill W - thanks, you know you are my favourite contributor because of your keep the faith attitude !!!
roll on the 3rd !!!
Less is more....