Sempere?!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sempere?!

Post by baz1664 »

Saw this name on the team sheet for the Stade game, believe he is a spanish full back, anybody ever seen this chap?
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

I don't know much about him, but according to Nell on the unoffy site, in the picture at the link below, the prop on Alex Moreno's right is the new guy Ayerza, and that's Sempere on his left.

http://perso.orange.fr/emmanuel11//sf-l ... 010140.JPG
melting

Post by melting »

Baz and Gate;

That´s right. Cesar Sempere is the starting Spain´s fullback. If I´m not wrong he was Spanish championship top try scorer for the past season, playing for Cetransa of Valladolid (cup winner and champ runner-up). He´s 21 or 22 y.o.

He´s quite swift and agile. I saw him in the past RWC Qualifiers against Germany and Netherlands; I particularly believe none were their best games, though he tried his usual breakthu´s non-stop.

So, basically he´s young and with a bit of matureness and some more poundage he can become quite a back.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Sounds very promising and could do very well in English rugby.

Does anyone know whether Tigers have taken him on trial and if they might take him on for longer?
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Hi melting... what you didn't mention is Spain lost to Germany ;) well one of the two qualifiers against them. Which doesn't say much for Spanish rugby :D I've played in the German second division in a team which was placed at the same level as Nottingham. To say that they would get absolutely thrashed by a team like Vipers is an understatement. German rugby is at about the same standard as English Handball.

Anyway, good luck to Sempare (assuming we've taken him on loan !!)
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Cesar Sempere is on loan to us.

I've found some information on him:

Cesar Sempere Padilla
Initials: C.
Known as: Cesar
Date of birth: 26 May 1984
Country of birth: Spain
Country played for: Spain
Position: Fullback
Height: 5 feet, 11 inches (180.34 cm.)
Weight: 208 pounds (94.3 Kg.)

He looks pretty good to me :)
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
melting

Post by melting »

I liked that response of yours Pellsey :D :D

Spain lost 18-6 in the first leg in German land, but recovered and beat the germans 36-10 in Madrid. As you said, IMO some germans showed a serious lack of technical skills. Not saying that Spaniards are god´s gift to rugby creation, but at least it seems to me that basic skills are taught reasonably well here.

The germans seemed to me a team just and only focused to their forward´s mucle size. Out of it, not much. Once Spain´s director of rugby, Ged Glynn, introduced a bit more of size for the 2nd leg, that was about the end of it. Compared to what I read on the 1st leg, the spanish backs enjoyed many more ball-handling chances for the second game.

ps: after past 6N you could add rugby to England´s underdeveloped sports, together with handball... :D :wink: ...just joking
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Melting, you are completely right about the lack of technical skills in German rugby. That's why I was very surprised when spain lost! Spain, IMHO would be the next team after italy to get into the 6N. I don't think that will happen for some time yet though. Oh I didn't mention it... best players for this "second division" team in Germany were English and Georgian!!! Not many Germans in the team, apart from on the bench ;)

You are right about the English national team being underdeveloped ;) Not English rugby though. The clubs are still very good.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

According to the guy in the Ticket Office I spoke with this afternoon, Sempere was only on loan to us during the French tour.
Demelza - another Mother
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Rizzo wrote:According to the guy in the Ticket Office I spoke with this afternoon, Sempere was only on loan to us during the French tour.
Semms a bit daft. Unless of course its going to result in a signing. Sounds an exciting player. Sign him up I say, then again I am desperate for us to sign at least one flair back for the new season!
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Rizzo wrote:According to the guy in the Ticket Office I spoke with this afternoon, Sempere was only on loan to us during the French tour.
Semms a bit daft. Unless of course its going to result in a signing. Sounds an exciting player. Sign him up I say, then again I am desperate for us to sign at least one flair back for the new season!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

It does seem a bit odd, you're right Sammy. Maybe if I get a chance I'll ask someone at the members evening tonight.
Demelza - another Mother
Mazao

Post by Mazao »

Hello to all the Tigers family.

I'm another spanish friend, and I must say that Sempere is already better player than when Oriol Ripoll arrived Bridgend a few years ago, and with a higher margin of development, as he's only 22.
melting

Post by melting »

Any news on this Spanish fullback?

Basically, was he just on loan there for the French tour?; if so, does it mean Leicester is to scout him for the future?, and how did he play during the tour?

Thanks in advance to Leicester fans.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

no news from me, I'm afraid, melting. Didn't get a chance to ask at the Members evening, but I was definitely told that Sempere was only with Tigers during their time in France. The only information on how he played is on the brief match reports.
Demelza - another Mother