Vesty

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bigstef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Vesty

Post by bigstef »

Am i the only person who would like to see him back at 10?
beast
Tiger Cub

Post by beast »

think he could develope into a better 12 than 10
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I think that Sam Vesty is one of the best England qualified full-backs around at the moment. He is more assured under the high ball than any other English player, and his tackling is more than sound. It's a pity he didn't get into the England elite squad as a full-back.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Sams a must at 15. Proven in a number of games last season.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Begs the question .... do you play him at his best position (15) or try to fit him in because of the competition (i.e. Murphy).

Even more complicated due to Murphy becoming less of an option at winger as the years go by.

We clearly have more strength in depth in the back 3 than we do midfield, so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Vesty appear at 12 more often this season. I think Pat feels he has 10 covered.

That said ..... Vesty is currently a much better FB than IC.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Don't forget that we have another quality young 15 now that Matt Smith has been promoted from the Dev team. I saw him play a number of times for the resy's last season and he is a really exciting prospect. I'd like to see Sam given time to adapt to the 12 position, he is such a natural rugby player he would be ideal there.
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

Well said Ernie
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Vesty is a quality natural rugby player... no doubt. The "problem" for the Tigers is that we have a lot of them. Murphy, for example, IMHO will always be picked at 15 over Vesty (unless we somehow have injury problems on the wing). And at 12 we have Gibbo and Cornwell who are IMHO simply better players. At 13 we have Ollie, Lloyd and Seru, who are maybe not as naturally gifted can be more useful then Vesty. And then Hipkiss, who may surprise us if he learns to distribute.

The only way I can see Vesty being played regularly this season is through injuries to other players and/or internationals. Unfortunately.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

But I completely agree with what you said, Ernie!
JB

Post by JB »

Last year Gibbo said Sam would end up as a 12, which makes a whole load of sensse.

Sams a good passer, he's a great tackler and would no doubt give our back line good balance. He looked super there during Clermont game last year which I think is one of the very few times last our backs looked half decent. He moved to 12 when Ollie got injured.

That said I thing Pat missed a trick last year. We persevered with the excellent Danny Hipkiss at 12 and Ollie at 13. I thought they should have been swapped. I think the Danny is a great broken field runner (which showed in the tries he scored) but he's not much of a passer. Whenever Ollies been at 12 he looks assured and a quality player. I think it might just have kickstarted his season if he's had a bit more ball in hand!
JB, Stamford
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

To answer the first postb on this thread, how can Sam play at 10 when we have Andy plus back-up of Paul Burke and Ian Humphries at that position? :? :? :? :?
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Completely agree JB. But as long as Gibbo's fit, he's a better 12. Hipkiss is not a good 12, because, as you said, he's not a good distributor. But at 13, he's a good runner when he has more space.

Then again, I don't think we would lose much if we developed Vesty into an IC along with Cornwell. That would make some good competition! We don't exactly know how much time Gibbo has got left. Well, I don't anyway ;)
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Simon, you've done it again.. beating me to the post ;) :D :D :D

I agree though. Goode, Burke and Humphries are probably all better 10s than Vesty.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Sorry! :wink:

I agree with you about Sam playing at IC. He would have a good partnership with Matt Cornwell. I also think Dan Hipkiss is better at 13 due to being a good runner with more space. Is there any chance though that Dan may be working on passing the ball more or someone might be encouraging him to?
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

simon redshaw wrote:Sorry! :wink:

Is there any chance though that Dan may be working on passing the ball more or someone might be encouraging him to?
Let's hope so ;)