Players who Shook the Crumbie #29: Rod Kafer

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Players who Shook the Crumbie #29: Rod Kafer

Post by Iain »

When Pat Howard left to return to Australia in 2001 a huge void was left at Inside Centre and backs coach. On Pat's recommendation, former Wallaby international Rod Kafer was brought in to fill both roles. It would be fair to say that Rod never really won the crowd over, as his game was a more direct, play the phases kind of game, which was instilled into the rest of the team by virtue of him being backs coach. However it shouldn't be forgotten that there was a lot of good he did as well. Whilst his style of play may not have been pretty it did hold the backs together and did lead in his first season to another Premiership and Heineken Cup double, and his accurate kicking for the corner from penalties never let us down, and he also did a lot to develop players such as Ollie Smith, who probably developed most by playing with Rod.
Alas his time at Tigers wasn't a vintage one when all was said and done, and he was released in the summer of 2003 after helping Tigers beat Saracens in the Wildcard final at Franklins Gardens against Saracens, ironically to join Saracens. Surprisingly, before the season started Rod was named as Saracens Director of Rugby, but lasted little longer than a year before being ousted from his role.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Sorry, never really thought that much of Kafer, fair enough he was solid but he was never a howard or Gibbo.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Was never really a fan either. He was a big reason Goode left Tigers (and came back again! after Kafer went to Sarries!)

I think he was a fair centre, but not in the same league as Dodge, Woodward, Howard etc..
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

The only way Kafer shook the Crumbie was when his ample frame ran into it on one occasion :wink:

He was an ok player, but when you are replacing an absolute star you are never going to win the crowd over. Had it been the other way round (Kafer first and then Howard), we would probably remember him quite fondly.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Watching Leicester play occasionally with that play-making unit of

9. Hamilton
10. Goode
12. Kafer

made me want to strangle myself.

When Austin wasn't at 9 or 10 then that lot couldn't muster a single creative move between them.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Sorry, but for me would probably head up a feature on 'players who over promised and under delivered'.

The rugby equivalent of watching paint dry.