Latest from Old Trafford

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Latest from Old Trafford

Post by simon redshaw »

Inzamam won the toss, Pakistan batted first.

However, the decision hasn't worked for them so far.

Steve Harmison took two early wickets. 9-2. Then Younis Khan and Mohammad Yousef put on 81. Monty then took a wicket in his first over and now Harmy has just taken another wicket.

90-4. Great start for England.

I getting more and more impressed with Anderw Strauss' captaincy in the Tests and there is a case for having him as Test captain in Australia instead of Freddie (If that is Freddie is fit!).
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

I have no doubt in Freddie's abilities, but i have to agree with you Si, it might be an idea to have strauss as captain in Australia. However it's a difficult one. Freddie is one of those players who can inspire others, although giving him the captaincy might stifle that.
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I am a big fan of Freddie but although he has had a crack it and done OK, I think there is a case that it is too much for him to be a captain plus one of the front line bowlers and batsmen plus one of the top fielders. Freddie can inspire others. I think though he will be better suited concentrating on being an inspiring allrounder.

I think Strauss has something about him to suggest that he can be a very good England captain.
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

hope strauss is more positive this time and goes for the kill. whats the latest score now??
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

168-2

struass got 42,

cook currently on 65, and pietersen on 38
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

That would be very nice Jon. We would be at least 370 ahead. However, I am not sure whether that is possible on this pitch. Given the way the pitch played yesterday, I would be very happy if we managed 400. Hopefully we'll get 350 and that would give us a lead of 231+.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Some bad news already. Kevin Pietersen is out. :( :( :(

England 172-3.

Lets hope the team battles through to a respectable score.
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

265 -3

cook gets century, currently on 109, collingwood on 39

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

272-3.

A very good morning for England. :D :D :D :D

Well done to Alistair Cook and Paul Collingwood still there too.
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

Si, if Ian Bell bats well too, when freddie comes back, do you think we will just swap him and Mahmood or what??

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Its difficult as England would be a little short on bowlers. However, I think if Ian Bell continues his run he should be picked when Freddie returns. I am not a great fan of Mahmood. I think he has a lot to do to become the sort of consistent bowler England needs. He gives too many runs away and is inconsistent. I would give Jon Lewis a chance next Test.

I think Ian Bell will likely keep his place for the rest of the series and be a candidate for the Ashes XI. My preferred bowling line-up would be Freddie (if fit), Steve Harmison, Matthew Hoggard, Monty and Paul Collingwood. If Freddie wasn't fit for the start of the Ashes, then you have a bit of a selection conumdrum.
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

Si, i presume that you are assuming that Simon Jones will not be fit?

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

It would be nice to see Simon Jones back but I am not veryn hopeful he will be fit. He has had so many injuries.

Actually, if 5 front-line bowlers are to be used for the Ashes Tests then we have a problem as to who we leave out of the batting line-up.

Lets look at the Batting Line-up:

Andrew Strauss:

Proving himself to be a very useful captain and a welcome return to form in the last Test and a good first innings in this. Both Strauss and Trescothick can be devastating when on form.

Marcus Trescothick

One of the few batsmen to be off-form at the moment. Needs a few decent innings. Past reputation helps him and the fact that he is perhaps our best slip fielder.

Kevin Pietersen

Again in a weak run of form. Could also do with a long innings. However, is one of our best batsmen on paper and has loads of potential. When on form he is a joy to watch.

Alistair Cook

What a start he has made. There are stern tests to come but he looks to have great tenperament and attitude. Has a very good array of strokes. Should have a very good Test career.

Paul Collingwood

Loads of courage and makes the most of himself. Has a pretty decent array of shots. Has taken well to Test cricket and has one of the best averages of the current England batsmen. And he is one of the best fielders around. Can bowl a bit and is better then his Test bowling figures show.

Ian Bell

Went through a faltering period against the Aussies and perhaps in the sub-continent and early summer but has performed very well in the first two Tests. Has improved his array of shots and again has loads of courage and is a more then useful fielder. Also bowls a bit.

So how do you leave any of those out or at least any of the middle order on current form and also on potential?
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Close of Play score:

Pakistan 119 and 12-0

England 461-9 Declared.

Ian Bell made 109 N.O., Alistair Cook made 127, Paul Collingwood 40. . Good contributions from the lower order, but once again Geraint Jones failed!

Harmy was in pain bowling. :( :( :( Hope he is better in the morning. We need all four front line bowlers firing.
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

Pakistan on 102-2 at lunch. Harmy is fit and bowling, and has got a wicket. thank goodness.