Players Who Shook The Crumbie #25: Clive Woodward

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Players Who Shook The Crumbie #25: Clive Woodward

Post by Iain »

Before winning the World Cup for England, butchering the Lions tour to New Zealand and turning his hand to football it is sometimes easy to forget that Sir Clive (just Clive in those days) was one of the most illustrious players in Leicester's history. A waltzing centre for both club and country who by all accounts shook the Crumbie to its very foundations for a substantial amount of time.

I'm too young to have seen him play.... over to the older members amongst us!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Woodward

He stopped played for Leicester in 1985. Come on, Iain, you're older than 21 aren't you?? What do you mean, you didn't go to watch the Tigers when you were in a nappy. Shame on you!! :D

I too just unfortunately missed at the time SCW playing for Leicester :lol: , (I started watching Tigers in 1986) but remember seeing his part of the Grand Slam winning England teams of the Early 80s (on Video!!) along with Dusty Hare (who , as yet has not been mentioned yet, Iain?!!! :roll: :D ).
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

All in good time! Only 23, I was only 2 and a bit when he stopped playing!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

A wonderfully entertaining centre, complimented Paul Dodge brilliantly and was always a much better player when alongside the 'oil can'.

Prone to some absolute howlers, including at least one missed try when showboating as he went over (against Coventry I think, but can't really remember), but on his day was sublime when running off Cusworth or Dodge. Still probably best remembered for 'that' try against Scotland in 1981 and his breakthrough performance in the 1980 grand slam winner against the same team.

Seemed to lose his confidence after repeated shoulder injuries, as I recall ..... I wonder what he's doing now ?!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

I've managed to find a video of Woodward's 1981 try against Scotland (one of the finest individual tries ever) and his break against Scotland in 1980 to set up Mike Slemen amongst a montage of great English tries. I'll post it on the 'greatest try' thread.