Anglo Welsh Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anglo Welsh Cup

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Tigers Press Release today says '..Tigers then face Bath, Gloucester and Harlequins, before taking on Newport Gwent Dragons in the Anglo-Welsh Cup' Which means I now know one team we are playing and one weekend date but no Anglo Welsh Cup games are in the fixture list.

Does anybody know who we are playing and when in this competition?

I have tried Google and the RFU home site without any luck.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anglo Welsh Cup

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

The Ightham Tiger

Post by The Ightham Tiger »

Isn't that exactly the same group as we had last season?
Ask not what your Tigers can do for you, but what you can do for your Tigers
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Yes it is, just that we play Newport Gwent Dragons at home and Worcester and Northampton away. I understand though that there may be changes in the groups next year. Possibly! :wink:
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Well, Wasps blitzed through that group last year. The only game they had difficulty in was the London Irish game. Hope they have it tougher this time round! :wink:
unohoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by unohoo »

I believe the English teams are grouped regionally, and then a Welsh team is thrown in.
JB

Post by JB »

Is this the none sponsored Anglo-Welsh who cares cup? :?
JB, Stamford
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Possibly!

Until they change the current group format to something more exciting, maybe insert an extra round or have a cup competition which allows back the clubs below the Premiership, placing them with the Premiership and Welsh regional sides and maybe some other Welsh sides, then YES!!

N.B. By making the group format more exciting I mean changing the teams around each year.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Its all very messy on the fixtures at the moment!! A few details but not all the picture! When are they going to announce all the group and semi-final and final dates?
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

They've been announced already:

Tigers v Dragons w/e 29/30 Sept & 1 Oct
Worcester v Tigers w/e 6/7/8 October
Northampton v Tigers w/e 1/2/3 December

Semi Final - 24 March

Final - 14 April
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Not sure if I've got all the facts right, but...

In my season ticket pack it says I get to choose one Anglo-Welsh home group game.
There's only one Anglo-Welsh home group game.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Cheers Dave.

I had a feeling those were the group dates although not sure when the exact days will be known, but I was pretty confused from our site as to when the semi-finals and final would be!

I can already see a problem with the Final date. Once again there is a clash between the GP fixtures and the Anglo Welsh Final as we would be playing Bristol on the Sunday. You would have thought whoever organises this would have learnt a lesson from last season! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

simon redshaw wrote:I can already see a problem with the Final date. Once again there is a clash between the GP fixtures and the Anglo Welsh Final as we would be playing Bristol on the Sunday. You would have thought whoever organises this would have learnt a lesson from last season! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Are you sufggesting that they should have left the whole weekend free of Premiership games to stop a clash with the AW Final?

All that would do would be to force EVERY Premiership club to play a midweek game to allow a free weekend. At least this way it means that the bare minimum number of clubs will have to re-arrange a fixture to accommodate the final.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I think there was a debate on this lines last season. All you have to do is start the season a week earlier. But then that wouldn't be popular with many! :wink:

I wasn't the only person who thought there shouldn't be a clash between the GP fixtures and the Anglo Welsh Final.