Looking Forward To Next Season?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

fair points simon... i am not sure about chris bell... but i suppsoe it depends IF we did appraoch him he maybe thought he had more of a future elsewhere anyway we do have a lot of cover in those areas and i would assume it would mean we would have to get rid of someone becaude of the salary cap... all supposition really...

I agree and whilst it a bit concerning they are making good progress... there is little we can do about them we need to get our team right and the rest should take care of its self... after all i would imagine that all we as supporters are asking is that the team commits 100% we cannot ask more if silverware doesn't come and we have done the best possible... we have the skill in the squad,, i think of that there is no doubt..

agreed we have had it at parts of the season but its not consistent... but i am not sure whether the guding hand is needed in the coaching or on the field....

I hope so as well... i do doubt some of the thinghs that happen at tigers but i want the team to know that i am behind them all the way through thick and thin and believe that they can win... its just getting the right formula.. and i feel as sick as a sick thing when we lose.... but when i stop believeing we can win its time to stop being a supporter... and whilst you do need both sides of the coin we seem to have written the season off with out it starting......

each to there own though... we are all entitled to our own opinion..
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Westwind31 I completely agree.

I'm not saying we are definately going to win some trophies. It's obviously going to be difficult. It's difficult for all the top clubs. My main point was similar to Westwind31's. What's the point of writing off one of the best acheiving clubs of last season without having seen them play!! We came second in the league, got to the quarters of the Heiniken, and got to the semis of the pointless one. Not many clubs could say the same. Wasps, for example, were below us in the league and got nowhere in Europe... HA HA ;) OK, Sale won the league, but got nowhere in the pointless cup, and the same level as us in the Heineken. OK they both won something but overall didn't do as well. I do agree though to some extent, we are about due a trophy.

Having faith in the team you support has got to be a good thing. Even if you don't have faith, you can't stop being a supporter just because Tigers don't have a new trophy. I support Tigers because I was born in Leicester, because I love the atmosphere and the fans, I love how the team play (IE as a team, rather than a bunch of individuals) and it was instilled into me at an early age ;) If Tigers don't win anything next season, I'm hardly going to sell my soul to the devil and support the pests or Sale. If Tigers don't win, shame... OK a heart breaking shame. But rugby is more than just winning or losing. There's always the following season ;) Please stop the pessimism, it may rub off onto the players. As for the whinging.... :evil: People who whinge should support the Falcons. They would get on very well with Rob Andrew.
Chesterfield Chris
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Chesterfield Chris »

Right................

Tigers do not have a god given right to win any competition.

The premiership is now far more competitive than it used to be therefore it is hard to win any game. When we won 4 titles on the trot the overall standard wwas in my opinion much lower. There are now and were last season 12 good teams all of whom can beat each other on their day - I believe that 2nd was a great achievement especially when I was worried that we might not have made the top4 with only a few games to go!

In the final - a couple of weeks after we annihilated Irish - we couldnt reproduce that form - maybe we peaked early/ it pizzed down/they got the rub - whatever they deserved it on the day no question but we got close.

With better execution we could have won both the Powergen and Heineken and in my opinion failed but not by much.

So I reckon and have said before that I thought we had a pretty good season last time and am greatly looking forward to September - I wonder what the doubters will be saying if we give Sale a hiding in the first game - we'll see! :D

Also did wasps have a better season than us? Yes they won a trophy but were knocked out of the H cup at the group stage and were 4th in the league. I think we had the better overall results and didnt have 50 points stuffed up us by Irish at home! :D

As has been said by some I will follow my beloved team through thick and thin and cant wait for kick off in September :D :D :D :D :D
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

You can bang on about the "middle ground", suggesting we had a good season because we finished runner-up in this, semi-final in that, etc. Fact is, we didn't win anything and that's all that counts.

We have missed out on some signings (Chris Bell, notably) and other teams have strengthened their squads. Crane is a good signing for us, others we'll have to wait and see I think.

I must admit I was considering not renewing my season ticket, and if this season goes the same as last I won't bother again. Call me a fairweather fan but the big games are the ones you pay for - Heineken against Bath cost me nearly £30 and it was teh worst game of rugby I've seen in years - and Tigers don't perform in the big games. So glad I didn't bother paying for Twickers or I would have slit my wrists.

I predict Tigers to finish 4th in the league, anything could happen in the playoffs. Quarter-finals in Europe. Anglo-Welsh depends on how other teams approach it.
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

K1 valid points

but why did we miss out on signing Chris Bell... maybe he chose not to come to us... for what reason i now not... maybe he didn't think he would get enough first team or we offer the right terms.... a single player doesn't make a team...

We have some dam good centres and personnaly don't think we need anymore we need to get the ones we have firing on all cylinders..

disappointment unfortunately is a part of any sport...
champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by champanzie »

i know tigers havent signed many big players this year and they didnt last either. who heard of shane jennings before he came to tigers and look at the impact he had in the team. i can see tigers doing well this year no-one can write them off yet the season hasnt even started.

tigers for the trebal, premership, powergen and Heineken :lol: :lol: :lol:
Come on you tigers!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I'm not ging to start whining about missing Chris Bell, if indeed we even wanted him in the furst place. I believe this will be Matt Cornwell's season. ;) Gibbo is also hardly a bad player... nor O Smith, nor Rabini... etc...

As the current league is, it doesn't matter whether we come in 1st or 4th. All that matters is we win the playoff final. So finishing 4th is not bad. Therefore some matches can be lost. As long as we beat Wasps, Sale and Saints, I'm happy ;) I think it will be Leicester's turn for the league again and/or possibly the pointless cup.

K1, I agree to some extent, people remember winning trophies. That's the "crown" at the end of a season. My point was that we were nearly there, and therefore we have the ability to do it this season. For the people that paid 30 quid to watch a rubbish game. That's bad, obviously... I've done it may times before. The killing memory for me is Cardiff Arms park against Brive in 1998, I think it was. Tigers got stuffed, but there was great craic after the game. But it happens with all teams in all sports. Tigers just need to sort out this mental problem they have with big games (which I'm sure they will), then they'll start winning trophies again :D

Oh BTW, Chesterfield Chris. You are bang on, mate.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Some supporters seem to have the same mentality as the club. That 2nd best is good enough. Can some sane person tell me since when has 2nd best ever been good enough? I always thought that in sport to be the best you have to finish top of the pile and win the important games when it matters.

It is laugable that people are saying Tigers had a good season, but then again these are all the rose tinted specs brigade who are saying this.

A good season for Tigers next season will be if they actually manage to win anything not finishing 2nd, 3rd or whatever.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

So anything less than winning everything is a poor season g? I don't subscribe to that. We were very close to winning silverwear last season. That is a good season. Winning silverwear would have been an excellent season. It could have been so much better, but as it is being as close as we were is a good effort.
You talk of all these clubs who are so far ahead of us. Who exactly are they g and why weren't they finishing ahead of us in the Premiership. As ever, I take your rants with a pinch of salt as I have listened to you on the terraces and on this board long enough to recognise your trait of being over dramatic and negative about everything.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

OOOH Iain, I'm bleating and giving my twopenneth eh. Am I starting to annoy you? What a shame that is. Actually matey and for your info the reason we haven't renewed is because our family circumstances have changed. And if I have the chance to attend WR next season I will do so.

And just for the record I will carry on bleating and sticking my twopenneth in so if that annoys you then hoo :censored: ray.
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

Ok this is getting silly...

PERSONALLY i beleiev that last year was not an excellent season, we played some good games and we blames some dreadful... and as supporters we should expect the best all the time.... but saying that we didn't have the dreadful season some people are making it out to be... ask any of the Leeds supporters about that..

of course we all have our own opinions but the way i support the team is to expect them to win every game if we don't take the good out of it... and be miserable for a little while.... but yes last year was a disappointing season but not dreadful....

I just find it strange that people have written off the team beofre the season starts... or maybe thye haven't? maybe its because we can't see peoples body language that what they right is not as obvious as we see face to face....

Maybe it is rose tinted but i believe we are going to have an excellent season next year..... we will not win all the games.... although this would be nice.... and we will win silverware...

And i would rather prove you wrong than you prove me wrong and enjoy or not sayinng 'I told you so'

But please lets not right of the boys before the even got onto the pitch...
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

What is the big deal about Chris Bell ?...yes, he's an up and coming young player, but did we really MISS OUT on him. As has already been said, perhaps we looked at him and didn't 'fancy' him, or perhaps, due to personal circumstances he decided to stay "Up North". Why is it that people are saying that we didn't try hard enough to get him....as if we have first choice on all of the top players !!! Do me a favour ! Perhaps the club has faith in OUR centres !!

The fact is, Matt Cornwell is a superb player who could well come into his own this year, Ollie Smith, if he finds form is as good if not better than Bell....Hipkiss showed glimpses last season that he could be a quality player and not sure if we still have Gibbo...if we do, then we have 4 quality centres to rival any in the Premiership.

Can't wait to see Bell on 3rd September....I hope he gets a 'warm' welcome from our centres. 'g' ...for the record you don't wind me up....just make me smile...I'm sure there must be some positivity in you somewhere....you must be a perfectionist because as we all know, there are very few teams in sport in general, who can consistently win trophies year in year out...we managed it a few years ago, but it is hard and it takes a special group of players to do that. Do Tigers have that group ? Only time will tell, but I for one will enjoy seeing them try to bring a trophy to Welford Road this season.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Ok kevf, point taken. Lets see how the season pans out then we can discuss it at the end of the season.

But I still will stick my twopenneth in. :wink:
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

g wrote:Ok kevf, point taken. Lets see how the season pans out then we can discuss it at the end of the season.

But I still will stick my twopenneth in. :wink:
you are mellowing in your old age... :D

And as i said we are all entitled to our own opinion... and it keeps the discussion going as long as we respect that we are all alright....

don't know what you'd be like if you were a Leeds supporter... :lol:
ALECW

Post by ALECW »

I agree with the general trend on this sight that the season is going to be difficult. I wouln,t be too despondant even though we seem to be all agreed that the other clubs no longer fear us and they are all improving. I think we will be fit enough and it all depends how the new faces gel. I am fairly optimistic but still will not attend the payoff final if we get there. We at tigers tend to judge things by our standards and not the general ones. Last season was good by most standards but because we had no silverwear it was deemed to be bad . I will follow tigers good or bad and i think that when the final decision is made about the new stadium a lot of the un certainty will be removed also P.H. has more experience now, keep the faith. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
USED TO BE WESTMIDS ALEC