Anglo- Welsh cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

Iain wrote:I don't think you quite understand how the Celtic League regions work. It is like the Super 14, the three regions are designed to cover the whole of Wales, almost like a representative side for all the clubs within that region. Pontypridd for instance, would fall into one of the regions (my knowledge of Wales isn't great but I think they fall into Scarlets).
Come on Iain you can do better than that !
There are *ahem* four regional teams though Cardiff and Llanelli did effectively stand alone. And Pontypridd is covered by the Cardiff region being only a few miles from Cardiff.
Get rid of the anglo-welsh cup and lets get a proper structured season for the northern hemisphere.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Brain wasn't working when I typed that! But yes. With you on the Anglo Welsh Cup. Not a fan of its current format.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Actually, I noticed the error about three regional Welsh sides and I'm not always at my best first thing in the mornings!! :wink:

Many of us don't agree with current format of the Anglo Welsh Cup and there have been a few suggestions mooted.

What would the ideal format be to accomodate both English and Welsh sides as seems now to be the requirement? How many rounds would be preferable?
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

simon redshaw wrote:Actually, I noticed the error about three regional Welsh sides and I'm not always at my best first thing in the mornings!! :wink:

Many of us don't agree with current format of the Anglo Welsh Cup and there have been a few suggestions mooted.

What would the ideal format be to accomodate both English and Welsh sides as seems now to be the requirement? How many rounds would be preferable?
dunno, but there never will be a British cup because it wouldnt be too far away from the Heineken cup then and France wouldnt be happy.
ulster_jamesie

Post by ulster_jamesie »

Osprey in Leicester wrote:dunno, but there never will be a British cup because it wouldnt be too far away from the Heineken cup then and France wouldnt be happy.
true OIL :roll: the league set-ups are alright as they are... the 'magners league' (formerly celtic league) is really starting to take off...

the welsh sides really need to get rid of the anglo-welsh pipe dream and concentrate on the development of their own league (magners), similarly i think the irish sides have been putting 110% into the league over the last couple of seasons, especially munster now that they've finally got the heiny monkey off their backs...

i knew from the start that the powderpuff cup was going to be pap... welsh were very ill advised to go chasing it :shock:
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

The IDEAL format would be to get rid of this money grabbing Mickey Mouse cup once and for all.
It's not taken seriously by any of the prem teams and is the equivalent to footaballs League cup which meant nothing to the big clubs but only meant a lot to the lower clubs.

Waste of time and money. Scrap the thing.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

In part I agree with you g, but then there's another part of me that wouldn't want to lose the prospect of a Twickenham Cup final, which is supposed to be the biggest day out for the fans. It certainly always used to be.
I'd much prefer them to go back to the old format. Straight knock out, lower league teams included who get the chance of their big day out at a top stadium, and if you go out early its as much as makes no difference in terms of players being overplayed.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Actually Iain you make a good point there about the lower leagues taking part in the Powergen Cup.

Now that they seem to have been excluded from having the chance to claim a big scalp do they have any cup comps to participate in, in Nat Div1? As I remember it wasn't all that long ago that Worcester were playing Tigers as a Nat 1 side. So what cup comps will the likes of Leeds etc be playing in this season?

Scrap this stupid Anglo Welsh malarkey and give the English lower Divisions the chance to participate. After all who really wants the Welsh teams in a cup comp that used to be a very English thing? I certainly would prefer it to go back to it's original format. Lets the Welsh, Scots and Irish have there own Celtic cup comp.
ulster_jamesie

Post by ulster_jamesie »

g wrote:Lets the Welsh, Scots and Irish have there own Celtic cup comp.
exactly, but it appears that the welsh prefer to play with you lot than the teams in their own league (but at the same time quite happy to bang on about the irish sides not taking the caltic league seriously... despite a 1,2,3 finish) :roll:
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

ulster_jamesie wrote:
exactly, but it appears that the welsh prefer to play with you lot than the teams in their own league (but at the same time quite happy to bang on about the irish sides not taking the caltic league seriously... despite a 1,2,3 finish) :roll:
I dont think anyone takes the caltic league seriously, Ive never heard of it for a start ! :wink:
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Perhaps it would be better to allow four Irish teams into the PC instead of the Welsh. The Welsh teams could instead join a cup with the English division 1 teams. That would be a lot fairer alround! :wink:
ulster_jamesie

Post by ulster_jamesie »

Osprey in Leicester wrote:
ulster_jamesie wrote:
I dont think anyone takes the caltic league seriously, Ive never heard of it for a start ! :wink:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: er, i was writing in a belfast accent?! :lol:

all academic anyway... its the magners league now... woo-hoo! :D