austin healy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

hodge
Top Cat
Top Cat

austin healy

Post by hodge »

now that austins gone just wondering how many people liked him when he was at the club???

personaly i dint

he semt to think he was better than the everyone else
your views
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

A funny guy who could really play rugby.

I will never ever say a bad word against him unless he plays 10...

SEiously he is a superb player and hopefully he will want to come back. In his own words if I feel like kicking someones head in I will play again.
steadysteve
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by steadysteve »

Austin was a great player but should have stuck to his best possition of scrum half, at scrum half he didn't have time to think too much and so did what came naturaly.
Give him 3 seconds and he would change his mind 3 times.
But a great tiger none the less.
Tigers rock
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tigers rock »

I absoltely loved austin healey he was one of the best scrum halves and he was the most funniest player on pitch (towars other players of the other team and towards the ref) I personnally wish he hadn't gone hopefully harry ellis and scott bemand can follow austin healey's years of playing rugby and hopeflly austin will still have something to do with the tigers because i think he could give he players a lot of good tips that he has had from like martin johnson and neil back.
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

As well as being a great player, he was a character and had a real edge - hence why he was nicknamed 'The lip'!

Controversial at the best of times but he's a good bloke, not many
players right now would have the gutts to do and say many things Austin did!

At least well still see him on the 6N's chatting away with Jill at the sideline.

What's Will Johnson's plans after his retirement does anyone know?
His website isn't giving much away and don't really know all that much about the guy...
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

There were times when I didn't like his attitude, when I thought he was playing too much for himself and not for them team, but that was also part of his personality which made him such a standout player at times.

Taking an overview of his Tigers career, he was there for ALL the successes, and was crucial to them all. A terrific player in my book.

But I also agree, keep him away from the 10 shirt, never liked him in it.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Austin was a terrific player, moments of sheer brilliance, but sometimes he could be too mouthy and arrogant for the team's good. I have to say we only met him once at a Players evening and he was more than a little off hand.

Having said that, he could be great entertainment and his quick wit was very entertaining.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
ancientmariner

Austin

Post by ancientmariner »

Personally think he was one of the best. The break in the last few minutes at Parc de Prince will always stay in the memory - and I've been watching Tigers since the forties.
I'd put him up there with Wheeler, Cowling, Dodge, Hare, Rory, Richards, Stransky, Johnson and Back.
AM
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Great player.

Very funny bloke.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
hodge
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by hodge »

yes he was good at times i agree but who would you have started if you were the manager

austin
ellis
bemand

id have to say harry all the way personally
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I'm guessing you're too young to have seen Austin any earlier than the last few seasons. Oz has probably been one of the most important players for Leicester over the last ten years. His contribution has been immense, and the loss of him to the game deprives the game of a real maverick genius and a real character. All too few of his type around.
manxleigh

what a...

Post by manxleigh »

...stupid post. Who cares if you liked him or not I dare say there are people out there who don't like you or indeed me - however I am sure we don't want to hear from them. Didn't you listen to your mum when she said 'if you haven't got anything good to say don't say anything at all'.

Thought this website was for constructive comment good or bad not to assasinate people - sorry gets right under my skin - as a teacher I consider name calling childish.

Hodge don't take this personally it is more frsutration aimed at others who post just to get a reaction - I am sure you are a nice guy/girl however the season hasn't even begun and we are slating people lets try and be a bit more positive and then perhaps the team might be.
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

Kinoulton wrote:Great player.

Very funny bloke.
i agree. and that is coming from a saints fan. i never really had a problem with him. yeah, he could be a bit of a git sometimes, but rugby would never be the same without characters like him.
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

as I said above, when playing and on form he could have moments of sheer rugby brilliance which would leave you open-mouthed in awe, and like him or not, he will be missed.

I have to agree that there are fewer "characters" in sport generally, watching a bit of Wimbledon it struck me that I missed people like Nastase, McEnroe, Becker, and it would be a great pity to see rugby go the same way. I know nowadays they're professional sportsmen and have to concentrate much more etc, but I'd rather see rugby keep the "characters" and not slide into automaton play. That's my opinion anyway.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by champanzie »

austin healey what a legand. he was a great player anywhere in the backs. he shown up goodey at 10 last season and play great at 9 as well.

he was tigers through and through
Come on you tigers!