New Matchday announcer, any ideas?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

Phil B wrote:
Iain wrote:Or we could always stick to Smoke on the Water as it is actually what the players requested to run out to? Just a thought?
Are these players still at the Club? Just a thought.
Good one Phil!! 10 out of 10. :D
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

This is where we're going to have to part on our opinions. Smoke on the Water is what the players want to run out to, the vast majority of the crowd like it, its a good song, and ticks all the boxes of being atmospheric, anthemic and motivational that need to be ticked to be a good song to run out to. Any better suggestions??

My only issue with smoke on the water is with everyone trying to clap along and then losing the rhythm dramatically!

Ashby Rock Chick..... you say could the players request something new? I'm sure they could. And I'm sure if they wanted to they would do!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I've got one! What about Queen's We are the Champions! Of course, it would be a lie at the moment but it might make the players believe more! Quite stirring music!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

If we play We are the Champions when we're not we will be the laughing stock of the Premiership. And everyone would hate us. Even more.
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Iain wrote:This is where we're going to have to part on our opinions. Smoke on the Water is what the players want to run out to, the vast majority of the crowd like it, its a good song, and ticks all the boxes of being atmospheric, anthemic and motivational that need to be ticked to be a good song to run out to. Any better suggestions??

My only issue with smoke on the water is with everyone trying to clap along and then losing the rhythm dramatically!

Ashby Rock Chick..... you say could the players request something new? I'm sure they could. And I'm sure if they wanted to they would do!
Eer, that's what I did say Iain, about 3 posts ago!! :? (and I agree with you about "We are The Champions", that would be hopefull maybe but not suitable as we're not the champions!!! (YET!!!!!!!).
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Iain and Kaye, I know what you are saying but my suggestion was more tongue in cheek!

I know there are better ones really, just can't think of anything at the moment. Or at least the one I was thinking of before doesn't seem popular! I agree with Kaye and others that Smoke on the Water needs replacing. What about another poll of the players to see if they still like it! :wink: although I suppose if the majority of the crowd and players want it so we have it!
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

simon redshaw wrote:Iain and Kaye, I know what you are saying but my suggestion was more tongue in cheek!

I know there are better ones really, just can't think of anything at the moment. Or at least the one I was thinking of before doesn't seem popular! I agree with Kaye and others that Smoke on the Water needs replacing. What about another poll of the players to see if they still like it! :wink: although I suppose if the majority of the crowd and players want it so we have it!
Good idea Simon. The Saw Doctors do a great song called "To Win Just Once" (or "Two Injured Swans" as I sing!!) :lol:
Last edited by Ashby Rock Chick on Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Nice one Kaye. :lol: That would be a good song in the club's present situation! :wink:
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Floral dance by Terry Wogan would be nice.
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

Iain wrote:If we play We are the Champions when we're not we will be the laughing stock of the Premiership. And everyone would hate us. Even more.
trust me, thats not possible :wink:

how about jason donovans 'too many broken hearts' :wink:
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Why the hell do we even need a song!? Especially one written in 1836 and overplayed to the point of it being totally un-listenable.

We have a stadium that holds 16,500 people. We shouldn't need to improve the atmosphere or intimidate the opposition through the reserrection of rock dinosaurs!

Yes its hot, yes Im ratty, and yes I hate that song but it genuinely is totally pointless. And the sad thing is that as the average age of Tigers fans is 96 I will never see change because every other fan is morbidly afraid of it.
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Oooh, this weather is taking it's toll on some of the poor unfortunates without air con at work!!

Totally agreed Sammy, Stoke Up The Slaughter is way too old. How about we make up our own Tigers song to sing for the opposition??? (that's tonights task sorted)... :roll:
ancientmariner

Matchday announcer

Post by ancientmariner »

Agree completely with Top Cat:-
The new announcer should speak in a normal voice, without the hysterics.
Cut out the loud music - maybe we can then even speak to our neighbours.
Also think Matt Poole would be an excellent choice if he is willing.

AM
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Just a note: Lily Savage is unavailable because (according to Paul O'Grady) she has retired to a convent in France to atone for her many sins! (PS get well soon Paul!)

Announcer - as long as they speak clearly and don't over-egg the pudding about encouraging the fans, then I am happy to see how the new person goes - whoever it is.

Smoke on the Water is okay, you really can't hear the music at all on the terrace anyway - and didn't they use Eye Of The Tiger some time ago? That's a naff song if ever there was one!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

IMHO there's only one real choice for announcer. Stuart Barnes, he loves talking about Tigers doesn't he ?

Also the rest of the premiership would thank us as he wouldn't be available for commentary when Tigers are at home !