A year on

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

A year on

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Was in work bright and early this morning and only just realised the date. Time flies. However this is the second time in as many weeks I've just sat and thought how very lucky I am.

Was in London on the 6th July travelling through at least one of the tube stations last year and the world was just going about it's business, these things shouldn't happen. My thoughts go out to the families and friends who lost people on the 7th last year.

Also vast amounts of thanks and praise to those who dealt with the situation.

May it never ever happen again.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I remember the day all too well. I was sat in a bar in Auckland in New Zealand when one of the girls we were with told us she had had a text from her boyfriend saying that the tube had been bombed. In the course of the next five minutes as the news spread around the bar the atmosphere just changed into one of panic as everyone reached for their phones to check on loved ones. I instantly rang another English guy I worked with who was from London who was watching the news, followed by sending texts to anyone I knew who might have been in London. Our telly was broken at the time so we raced to the nearest bar that had a telly to follow what was happening and remember watching in disbelief at the picture of a bus with its roof blown off. Seemed every New Zealander knows someone in London, so the panic wasn't exclusively reserved for us British, but as soon as anyone realised I was British, I will never forget the concern being shown for my own friends and family towards me from New Zealanders.
I remember heading to work in the morning and calling my dad back home on the way, where I found out mercifully fewer people had died than was feared, but work was still a strange place. Again, being one of about four English people in the office meant that I had a lot of people checking that everyone I knew was okay.

I remember it just made me angry, as only 24 hours earlier we had received a text from back home simply saying "London" as we awaited news on who had got the Olympics, and being absolutely delighted at the thought. And then that. Extremists attacking our free, democratic way of life under the banner of Islam. I know many other Muslims, including my sister's fiancee, who confirm to me that the Qu'ran says nothing of the sort to suggest that this course of action is justified. Icould barely put up a coherent statement expressing my anger then, and I still struggle now.

The last thing that sticks in my head was while at work the next day I always used to listen to XFM, a London indie station, online as I liked the more underground cutting indie they play during the night as it is when I was listening. I remember one of the DJ's saying "its been a strange old day and a very difficult one for us all. But if I don't carry on with a normal show as best I can then they win. They want to disrupt us and I'm not going to let that happen." I think it summed up perfectly how well London dealt with the situation.
ulster_jamesie

Post by ulster_jamesie »

guys, just been out on tavistock square for the 2 minutes silence at 9:47. words simply defy me. it was truly sobering and intensely moving.

my office, in which i was in at the time, was directly beside the bus hit. if only everyone in the wee country where i come from could have that feeling for one split second our troubles would be truly gone.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well said.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Agree with everything that has been said.

My other half is in London today - I'll be glad when he gets home!

Ulster Jamesie - I used to work at 19-29 Woburn Place, when the IRA were at their worst in London.

It just makes you very, what's the word, introspective about everything.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
ulster_jamesie

Post by ulster_jamesie »

that sounds suspiciously close to the infamous county hotel DCat! hope it wasn't there! :wink:

i am at lynton house, 7-12 tavistock square. today has been inensely moving and everyone here is fighting them back. just went over to read the floral tributes and you could not but help letting the waterworks flow... as soon as one person let go everyone followed.

everyone please hold a loved one tight tonight
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

my husband regularly travels to London for work, and like many others, he would have been passing through Kings Cross around that time - except for a cancelled meeting. You cannot explain that strange feeling of mixed relief that he was safe at home, and guilt that others weren't as lucky.

I had many friends from overseas contact me by email and text that day, asking if all the family were okay and expressing shock and solidarity.

Our mother earth is a small place really, and there is always a moment to stop and remind ourselves of our blessings, our loved ones, and how lucky we are in so many ways.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

The events of last year were shocking, one thing i always thought though was how lucky we were to have not been attacked on the same scale as 9/11, although any attack is one attack too many!

I didn't know anyone involved and i was so thankful, i can't imagine seeing it on the news and then not knwoing if a loved one was involved.

My thoughts go out to the family, friends and poeple invovled in the horrific incidents of 7/7, the way it was dealt with i thought was amazing (although the authorities seem to have been slated). Now more than ever we are under threat and no matter how good our security sevices are it is estimated that 1200 Muslim extremists are wroking in this country, and i belive sooner or later another attack will be made in one of our cities hopefully our emergency serivees deal with it as well as possible and we are as prepared as possible.

We had a minutes silence today (as the majority of inconsiderate sods can't stay quiet for 2 at our school) I was just thinking about what it must have been like there last year but i couldn't even start to comprihend it. Unfortunantly its the shocking realtiy of the worold we live in.

RIP all those whose lives were taken in a pointless immorral religeous war which is based upon a farse.

They will never be forgotten.