Favourite commentators

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Gonzo

Favourite commentators

Post by Gonzo »

With so much top level sport on at the mo, I wondered who people's favourite commentators are, from any sport. Could be someone from the past or present.

Outside rugby, my main sport is cricket, so my faves would be Richie Benaud and Johnners (still sadly missed).

Please include any favourite bits of commentary too. How about Barry Davies and his 'where were the German defence.......and frankly who cares?'

Who would you guys go for?
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

the rugby pundits on RTE are hilarious. anyone who has ever seen George Hook and Brent Pope will understand.
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
lorraine pj
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by lorraine pj »

For me it has to be Murrey Walker on formula 1.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I agree....Barry Davies is my fave football commentator and has turned his hand to ice skating and equestrian as well. Motson is an annoying stat-o. David Coleman was the governor for me, if you ignore the Spitting Image puppet, he was an absolute legend, at football and superb at Athletics ("he just opens his legs and shows his class"....about Juantorena - pardon the spelling was superb..)..aside from his howlers, he was pretty damn good
no.1ellisfan
Super User
Super User

Post by no.1ellisfan »

i love Ddvid Loydd on the cricket, there's something about him that just cracks me up!

had to have a little giggle at the footie comentator earlier though, he said "they need to attack with the ball" know what he was trying to say but the thought of attacking without the ball rather amused me :lol:
has anybody seen the plot........i seem to have lost it!!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

you are right "bumble" is superb....I heard a classic from him the other day, it was Lancs v Warwickshire in the C&G on Sky,.....Mal Loye clubbed a shot in the air through the leg-side and he said...

"It's high in the air from Mal Loye, there's a fielder back there, but all he's doing is asking the crowd if he can have the ball back !"

....it was a six out of the stadium !!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Johnners, definitely.

And Peter O'Sullivan was unmatched.

I remember him commentating with typical professionalism, rattling through every runner from first to last, when his own horse came to the front, held off all challengers ,and hung on to win.

For once in his life, his voice cracked a bit and you could sense a lump in his throat. I'll never forget it.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
TigerScrums
Gold Member
Gold Member
Location: Staffordshire - Or more favourably half way up the Crumbie Terrace behind the Tigers bench!!

Post by TigerScrums »

Sid Waddell on the darts - enough to keep you entertaining without watching the arrows being thrown
Come on Tigers!!!
alex_111
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by alex_111 »

For me its gotta be Murray Walker
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

BelperJon, I totally agree with you on the genius of Bill McClaren.

My favourite piece from him was describing Simon Geoghan, 'charging down the wing like a mad octopus!' Legend.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Towards the end, dear old Bill tended to become a parody of himself, IMO. But no doubting his popularity and fairness.

Did you ever notice how everyone's boot was either a 'howitzer' or 'seige cannon' ? Or that they were so many pounds of beef 'on the hoof' ? Or that someone was always dancing in the streets of some unpronounceable Scottish village ?

The greatest commentary team was the Johnners era 'Test Match Special' crew. Pure brilliance.
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Agreed on Johnners & Bumble.

The 'leg over' moment by Johnners is truly memorable - available on his CD.

Listening to Nigel Starmer-Smith on the rugby the other week reminded me of what a decent commentator he is. Always fair & well spoken, but knowledgeable as well - unlike a few others we know!
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
The Countess of Welford
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by The Countess of Welford »

Got to be Stuart Barnes.................................................<runs for the hills>
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Ho ho.

However, Stuart Hall isn't bad.

Unfortunately his unique match summaries were somewhat wasted on the round ball supporters.

Many a time I've been sat in a car chortling away at his inane ramblings about "the warriors at the Hawthorns emerging menacingly through the West Midlands mist.... etc etc" and some thick clod football fan on the back seat starts moaning "why doesn't he just shut up!".
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

I remember Stuart Hall on Its a Knock Out - a bit of a pranny, but you couldn't help laughing!

Who was the cricket commentator who said

"The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey"

(Please don't censor that!)
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex