Players Who Shook the Crumbie: #9: Tim Stimpson

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

hadfieldpa

Post by hadfieldpa »

Memories of Stimmo - definitely one of the good guys and certainly one of the all-time great Tigers

- After Stimmo's first home try scoring debut , giving Saints a good stuffing if I remember correctly, I had a post game conversation, welcoming him to Welford Road and how I hoped he would settle in and would expect plenty of support from the Leicester faithfull. His response was along the lines "thanks very much - but people can have short memories. I took this as a reflection of the seemingly raw deal he had had at Falcons not a reflection on the support he would receive from Tigers supporters. Stimmo certainly rewarded us and he seemed to appreciate that support.

- Remember the HE Cup semi v Glos at Watford. Stimmo doing his warm-up "dance routine" in time to the PA piped music. Cool or what before a massive game.

- Not sure which season, but early December game at Kingsholm and Stimmo couldn't hit a barn door in the warm-up, much to the delight of our Shedhead friends. Went on to win the game for Tigers (something like 18-9) with a faultless kicking display.

And that sums up the massive contribution Stimmo made to the Tigers glory years.
Still crazy after all these years.
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

One of the nicest men ever to draw breath. A big, confidence player with time outside of the game for poorly children.

Lineker, Steve Davis, Stimmo. Would be described by many of todays so called sportsmen as boring. Shame there aren't a million more.

Just look at the cheats in the World cup to see what I mean.
TigerScrums
Gold Member
Gold Member
Location: Staffordshire - Or more favourably half way up the Crumbie Terrace behind the Tigers bench!!

Post by TigerScrums »

Must agree with all the posts.

Have seen Tim down at Nuneaton when I have be able to get down there.

He is moving to Nottingham next seaosn though.

Wish him all the best & have fond memories
Come on Tigers!!!
matt_j_12
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by matt_j_12 »

Id love to play for Nottingham just to know Stimpson!Met him in the Co-Op on Aylestone Road. Shame i was so young, would have liked a really good conversation with him. LEGEND
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Stimmo is probably my all time favourite Tigers player. A great player and a great guy who's sorely missed in Leicester rugby these days I'm sure.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
Toulousain123

Post by Toulousain123 »

Stimpson is indeed one of the best.
The first time I saw him play was when West Hartlepool came to Welford Road many years ago, and he impressed me then.
Anyone else remember this match?
Proud Tigers Fan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Proud Tigers Fan »

Im looking forward to seeing Mr Stimpson play next season when Nottingham come down to play my local side Cornish Pirates.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

<<In addition to the pressure kicks already mentioned, didn't he knock one over at Perpignan from the half-way line to help us win our HEC pool one year ? (31-30, if I remember right, yet another last minute job). >>

Yup. From just inside the Tiger half.

He even slipped as he took it and ended up on his :censored:, much to the apparent amusement of the French crowd.

They weren't laughing for long, though.

I remember his last match for England, too. Just showing what England missed when he scored a try from close range, but with about three or four Welshmen hanging off him.

Perry never did that....
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

I know this is a bit late, but my enduring memory of Stimmo is not from the playing field even though I have plenty of those.

It comes from the the evening of 17 March 2001 on of my all time best rugby days ever, at lunch time the Tigers just stuffed the Falcons to win the league for the third year on the trot and then Wales beat France in an absolutly cracking game out in Paris in 6N.

As it was St Patricks day, I was queing up to get into Molly o'Gradys on Hotel Street to raise a few pints of the dark stuff to the great man (according to some stories he's welsh but I digress) and there was Stimmo being carried out by a handfull of other Tigers players as he was too drunk to stand - what professionalism.

Still a cracking player mind you.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
Dave Thomas

Tim Stimpson

Post by Dave Thomas »

I agree that Stimmo was a great kicker and a good winger - strong on the re-take and tackled well. What every one has missed is where it all went wrong. In a match at WR he went up for a high ball at the same time as Freddie Tuilagi - Freddie's elbow caught him in the face. It cracked his cheek bone. From that time on Stimmo never had the nerve for the high ball take. He had a plate inserted in his cheek and I think this was the end of him as a top flight player - great shame.
Dave on the Crumbie