Goodbye TOTP

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Gonzo

Goodbye TOTP

Post by Gonzo »

Following the announcement yesterday of the end of Top of the Pops, I wondered what people's favourite TOTP memories are.

Mine was when they had the lisping Chris Eubank on as guest presenter and asked him to introduce 'Cecelia' by Suggs. Poor bloke!!
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

i never really watched TOTP, but it is sad to see it go.

why is it going?
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Apparently they can no longer compete against the satellite 24 hour music channels. Truly the end of an era! But it is true that no-one watches it anymore.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

TOTP is entirely dependent on the singles market, which is now a totally bogus sham.

Bands release a single which is priced at something like 2 Lire so that everyone buys it. It gets to number one, is then re-priced at £5,000 and slides down the charts but no one cares because it got to number 1 for a week and hence has lots of air-play.

Totally rubbish.

As long ago as the early 70s there were loads of top bands who rarely bothered with the singles charts (Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Cream etc) except as a vehicle to promote an album.

It was fun in the 60s but badly needs revamping. How many times have you looked at the singles charts, seen acts like Boom Rap Kitchen Sink featuring L'il Chav Missie Ketchup and thought "I don't know who the heck that is, and I really don't care."
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!