Off season training - serious

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kuzza
Super User
Super User

Off season training - serious

Post by kuzza »

This year, I'm cycling. I tried running, but my knees are already shot to bits (click when I stand if I've been sitting down for more than 10 minutes - I'm only 25!), so cycling has been quite good. Belly still there, but legs feel as strong as they ought. Saving petrol money, not sitting on public transport as much either, so it's got positive externalities too.

Will play tennis too as soon as I find a decent tennis partner, that's the problem with moving to a new area, no one to hang with, need to build relationships,etc... Already a regular down the local, but no one there seems to play tennis, good drinkers though. Hang on, that might explain the belly...
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Where you living then Kuzza?

I run, and find cycling worse on the knees, but I think it's because I'm too nancy to raise the seat up to where it should be. Live on a cycle route but tend to run it instead. Play squash, that's hell on the knees, but loads easier than tennis to actually play I think. And you can play it by yourself if your stuck for a partner. But as my dad had a heart attack playing squash I'm trying to gauge when to give up...43 now...
Don't mess with The Mothers!
kuzza
Super User
Super User

Post by kuzza »

Cycling's great fun, it's all legs as well so it's a lock's ideal training. Got a bit geeky and bought a speedo and everything. Think all the kit I got for it was more than the bike!

Squash is good, but I get too into it and last time nearly smashed myself open by slamming head first into thee wall trying to the ball - think I won the point though.

I'm living in Wimbledon. Did a cracking cycle rie upto to Richmond Park from Wimbledon park, some road work, a huge hill and lots of good off-road (good for the smaller muscle groups). Next time I'm gonna go all out and cycle round Richmond park too. The ride was about 13 miles all told, next one is likely to be a about 25 :shock:
100%rugbygirl
Super User
Super User

Post by 100%rugbygirl »

cycling is what i got told to do by my physio for my knees. also look into any aqua/ water running classes in your area - i do that a lot - totally no impact and works you harder in the water.
My boyfriend or rugby?

What times kick off?
kuzza
Super User
Super User

Post by kuzza »

Dunno, sounds dangerously like water aerobics to me...
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

I used to live in Richmond Park. It's great for cycling isn't it. If you pass the little Lodge house at Roehampton Gate, give it a wave from me. Fantastic place to live, I just rented a room from the family for a year when I was at Froebel College up the road. The only horrible thing was the deer cull some nights. The common is good for cyling too. I used to cycle from Froebel to Whitelands across the common. Once got flashed at!

Good luck with the training Kuzza.
Don't mess with The Mothers!
100%rugbygirl
Super User
Super User

Post by 100%rugbygirl »

not really!! i have a loopy instructor but if you get a sane one could be a good one

really works your stomach too - because the muscles are always in use keeping you upright in the water
My boyfriend or rugby?

What times kick off?
kuzza
Super User
Super User

Post by kuzza »

Hey! My stomach muscles are tight, just covered in a protective layer of lard, that's all.
kuzza
Super User
Super User

Post by kuzza »

Will do Cornish.

Thanks for your wishes, I'm sure it'll be the same as every year where I only get match fit after three or four games at the start of the season.
100%rugbygirl
Super User
Super User

Post by 100%rugbygirl »

ok then kuzza i believe you :wink:
My boyfriend or rugby?

What times kick off?
kuzza
Super User
Super User

Post by kuzza »

They ae tight! I'm breathing in and everything!
100%rugbygirl
Super User
Super User

Post by 100%rugbygirl »

ok ok ok keep telling yourself that
My boyfriend or rugby?

What times kick off?
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Hiya Kuzza - long time no see. I was wondering the other day where you were, and was going to start a 'Where's Kuzza' thread, but here you are! You sound quite chipper, which is good.

You're living in Wimbles these days are you? Weren't you a bit more west last time around? (If you pardon the turn of phrase!)

It's coming up to that anoying time of year for you then, all those tourists going to the tennis. One of my colleages' family is away getting trained up to be wimbledon helpers - they're away from the beginning of last week up until the end of the tournament!
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex