Rugby tonight

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Rugby tonight

Post by dpoc74 »

Why isn’t rugby tonight more like match of the day? Or why is isn’t there an equivalent programme? I do like reading this forum after a match to see if what I saw/ thought I saw matched up with others opinion but after for example the sarries game today I would love to watch the highlights and hear what “experts” cough cough, have to say, and also to analyse all the other games?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Rugby tonight

Post by tigerburnie »

Flatman ought to be given a show like this.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I’m old enough to remember when there was no live rugby, just Rugby Special with Nigel Starmer-Smith to look forward to ! BT’s argument is that the show highlights before the Sunday game covers it off, with comments.
Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop »

Have to say that I didn't enjoy RT earlier. The whole issue around Chiefs stuck in my throat. Who is the WASPS CEO or whatever he is to say that Chiefs are "appropriating culture" by their chant, use of headdress, club badge etc. He said he wasn't intending to create an issue. Oh yes he was. Chiefs never intended to offend anyone. I agree with Rob Baxter, that some want to make something from nothing. In todays culture, it is seemingly impossible to open your mouth without causing someone offence, regardless of whether it is intended or not. It won't be long before we just throw grey paint over everything.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Snowdrop wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:46 am Have to say that I didn't enjoy RT earlier. The whole issue around Chiefs stuck in my throat. Who is the WASPS CEO or whatever he is to say that Chiefs are "appropriating culture" by their chant, use of headdress, club badge etc. He said he wasn't intending to create an issue. Oh yes he was. Chiefs never intended to offend anyone. I agree with Rob Baxter, that some want to make something from nothing. In todays culture, it is seemingly impossible to open your mouth without causing someone offence, regardless of whether it is intended or not. It won't be long before we just throw grey paint over everything.
This guy gets it!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Snowdrop wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:46 am Have to say that I didn't enjoy RT earlier. The whole issue around Chiefs stuck in my throat. Who is the WASPS CEO or whatever he is to say that Chiefs are "appropriating culture" by their chant, use of headdress, club badge etc. He said he wasn't intending to create an issue. Oh yes he was. Chiefs never intended to offend anyone. I agree with Rob Baxter, that some want to make something from nothing. In todays culture, it is seemingly impossible to open your mouth without causing someone offence, regardless of whether it is intended or not. It won't be long before we just throw grey paint over everything.
Well that’s ok then as long as we unintentionally offend people. Does that hold true with everything, how about murder?

In today’s culture we are beginning to treat all people equally. I don’t really see the problem with that, do you?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

I suppose that we have to remember that we 'lost' the Channel 5 highlights package at the seasons onset.This programme always seemed a little rushed however - to cram in highlights, opinion etc in 1 hour minus commercial breaks.
Have to admit though that I enjoy Rugby Tonight for what it is not for what it 'should' or 'could'' be.Anything that promotes the game in any way is fine by me , although I must concede, a dedicated highlights package is missing (I believe) from our TV screens.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

dunc wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:15 am
Well that’s ok then as long as we unintentionally offend people. Does that hold true with everything, how about murder?

In today’s culture we are beginning to treat all people equally. I don’t really see the problem with that, do you?
Sadly, Dunc, some people do have a problem with treat people with common politeness - they feel their own right to be boorish and insensitive is what matters. Fortunately it’s largely a generational thing - younger people are mostly getting it!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Agree, we need a highlights show. Not othered what channel its on, but the channel five one with flats did always seem rushed to me...

"right, here [insert rugby team] v [insert rugby team]"
"so Flats what did you think of that"
"some good bits but some not great either"

Repeat for all games and maybe throw in a semi technical question after a incident...

"so, see you next week"

A match of day style programme, showing 10 minutes of highlights for each game and 2 or three experts/pundits critiquing, maybe a guest current player each week, could be good.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

chris111 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:09 am
Sadly, Dunc, some people do have a problem with treat people with common politeness - they feel their own right to be boorish and insensitive is what matters. Fortunately it’s largely a generational thing - younger people are mostly getting it!
This guy gets it!
Last edited by ads on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I am offended by the wasps use of French in their chant. Allez Allez Allez. I wasn't aware they were a French team so perhaps they shouldn't misappropriate another nations language.
I'm not cynical just experienced
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I gave up on Rugby Tonight long ago.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

On another forum the subject of Exeter Chiefs branding and the wearing of Native American headwear has been discussed thoroughly. My view (very much in the minority) was and possibly still is that it is harmless fun unlikely to offend any member of the Sioux Nation as there are not many of them in Devon. I saw little difference between the wearing of a warbonnet and the wearing of a fez. Ian Cockerill, long time Tiger's fan and a voice on Radio Leicester shot me down in flames, he posed the question " If in the unlikely event Worcester Warriors asked their supporters to black up and come as Zulu Warriors would I call that racist?" and the answer was yes I would. I honestly don't believe that Chief's fans in their minds are doing anything other than supporting their team, is it harmless or is it racist? It is about drawing lines, some of the reservation shops do sell various items of their national dress including head wear, is the purchaser a racist or is it only when the wearing becomes semi-official apparel for a club that is completely unconnected to the plains Indians of America. I don't pretend to know the answer but I am certain that :censored: annoying dirge the Exeter fans chant should be banned along with the drums of London Irish.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

ads wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:13 am
chris111 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:09 am
This guy gets it!
Disagree. People of my generation just did not get offended anything like as easily. I would argue that people are far too sensitive nowadays rather than my generation being insensitive. Virtually anything can offend the younger generation, if they so wish. It's pathetic.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

" If in the unlikely event Worcester Warriors asked their supporters to black up and come as Zulu Warriors would I call that racist?"

Not necessarily. It's just some people dressing up as some other people. A bit like the bloke at any wedding who wears a kilt when he's actually from Walsall.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina