Well done, Wasps

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Well done, Wasps

Post by chris111 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:23 pm
TigerCam wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:21 pm I wonder what the North American 1st nations have to say on this matter? Have they ever been consulted?
Exactly ,nothing worse than people not effected by certain situations sticking their oars in and inserting themselves into said situations!
Bad manners affects us all, and we should all call it out - yes, even on the world of rugby. Maybe even especially in the world of rugby because it’s a game that prides itself on upholding its core values (which includes respect).

No doubt you’ll label me a woke snowflake, part of the PC brigade determined to police the ‘banter’ out of the game. From my perspective this is simply a matter of politeness and courtesy of sensitivity to others, and I struggle to understand why some people find it so difficult to adapt their language and practices on learning of the effect it has on others. I’m 61 years old and the language I used and the attitudes it revealed in my playing days of late 70s/early 80s were pretty standard for that era - but they’re not acceptable any more - just as in the workplace and other social spaces, expectations have changed. It takes a little effort at times to change, and probably the older one gets the harder it becomes…but that’s life!

The Chiefs’ nonsense will probably die out of its own accord as new generations of supporters increasingly see it as either offensive - or more probably simply naff. I was much heartened by the almost total absence of the ludicrous headdresses at WR last month…I think I only saw one all game.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:00 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:18 pm Well done? it’s pathetic! Worlds dying,where have the real men gone?!
I fail to understand how homogenising an entire ethnic group, one that had a multitude of languages and cultures, into a specific racial stereotype after they have be subject to appalling acts of genocide, is in any way acceptable. As a second point what has it got to do with ‘manliness’ - how are you more ‘masculine’ by not standing up for cultural appropriation? What has that got to do with gender?

There is much more to be done about inclusion in the game but ask yourself this- would we allow ourselves to be called the Leicester Tribesman and have fans turning up beating drums- in fancy dress as well?

Don’t call it pathetic and read some history before you cast opinions such as this.
Brilliantly put, 86 - thank you! I was struggling to articulate my argument about how it was possible to be both woke and ‘a real man’ (whatever that means), but you’ve made the point perfectly👍
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

In fact I'm gonna write a strongly worded letter to our board as regards to our nickname/mascot. I am a MASSIVE fan of the caspian tiger and after it was brutally hunted to extinction and its habitat destroyed I think its sickening that we can wear tiger hats like some kind of trophy. (See where we are heading?!)
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Don’t confuse animals and human beings.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:24 pm Don’t confuse animals and human beings.
Global warming or whatever they call it these days isn't a human being or animal 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop »

loretta wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:22 pm
happywomble wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:16 pm Maybe someone should have a word with Worcester about referring to our "African Tribesmen" in their poetic review of this weekends game? Some may find that offensive and racist.

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s130/w ... 202352.htm
What a lot of waffling tosh!
Completely agree. I disagree with the first poster entirely. We should just condemn ourselves to silence for the rest of existence for fear of upsetting someone.