Why I dislike soccer ball.

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Why I dislike soccer ball.

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Just saw the news where someone in the crowd at the football semifinal used a laser on the goal keeper whilst a penalty was being taken. We have waited nearly 18 months to watch live sports and someone does that!
What would your response be if a penalty kick was being taken at a major rugby match and someone did that to the kicker?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Why I dislike soccer ball.

Post by Old Hob »

i entirely agree. Plus the usual drunken fighting and arrests (50, for common assault, Section 4 and assault police) and enormous amounts of litter.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:58 pm Absolute state!
https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1087234644?-10897:45194
Not sure this is a good reason to dislike a sport played by millions and watched by billions across the globe! I despise the oafish stag do/public school yahoo yobbery that is still too much a part of rugby, but it doesn’t mean I don’t love the sport.

Yes, soccer gets followed by a lot of nasty louts, but I’ve been to plenty of matches and found the vast majority of spectators perfectly pleasant. The sport also has outstanding socially responsible role models such as Marcus Rashford and Jordan Henderson - and many more like them. Followers of a sport that counts amongst its role models Paddy Jackson should maybe be a little cautious about claiming the moral high ground.
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

https://youtu.be/LxQWr_mV9NU

Looks like a lovely day out to take your family.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I agree, Chris about Paddy Jackson, but note that Sale had to drop him after a fan revolt. The problem with soccer is that there is always violence, intimidation and an increase in domestic violence (can't put my hand on the reference for that but peer reviewed pukka paper). In all the years of Twickenham there has been 1 arrest for violence when a squaddie and a matelot exchanged a few blows outside the railway station after a Navy v Army game in the 1990's. The soccer clubs resisted and resisted having to pay for policing despite the cost being in the millions nationally. They said only inside the grounds then employed stewards and refused police. There is violence and intimidation on the railway and the away fans still have to be marshalled and conducted to the ground in many places where, of course, they will be segregated. The news has been full of what happened at Wembley and on social media. No other sport produces this level of thuggery.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:06 pm I agree, Chris about Paddy Jackson, but note that Sale had to drop him after a fan revolt. The problem with soccer is that there is always violence, intimidation and an increase in domestic violence (can't put my hand on the reference for that but peer reviewed pukka paper). In all the years of Twickenham there has been 1 arrest for violence when a squaddie and a matelot exchanged a few blows outside the railway station after a Navy v Army game in the 1990's. The soccer clubs resisted and resisted having to pay for policing despite the cost being in the millions nationally. They said only inside the grounds then employed stewards and refused police. There is violence and intimidation on the railway and the away fans still have to be marshalled and conducted to the ground in many places where, of course, they will be segregated. The news has been full of what happened at Wembley and on social media. No other sport produces this level of thuggery.
Personally I think for Football to improve they need to remove fan segregation. It solved a short term issue of violence but never addressed the root cause of people looking for a fight. By segregating fans im a stadium you no longer see chat and banter with opposition fans, instead you see them more as a "faceless mob" which adds to a dehumanising effect of the experience.

Problem is to do that now after so long will be very complicated and likely without being resourced properly will mean things get worse, but if they want to remove that segment from the game you need fans who are capable of sitting together.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

I have had a great week of sport! Watched:-
England v Italy in U20s
India v England women T20
A little of the golf open.

Funnily enough I didn't see not one spectator throwing half finished bottles of beer at other people, no ankle deep piles of litter OR any one with a lit flare poking out of their backside!!!
Don't understand.