Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2070
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:41 am
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by Noggs » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:33 pm

I think a test 3 days prior to the fixture make things reasonably safe. If some French clubs pull out then so be it. TV revenue is important to club survival.

Don't forget English clubs did not take part in the first year of European competition which went ahead regardless.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7507
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by jgriffin » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:26 pm

Last time I checked (Nov) the chances of getting it again were estimated at 7/10,000,000 based on Chinese data.
There were 1777 variants from UK that had genomes read; two - now 3 - were possibly more contagious/deadly.
US data suggests 5/38,000,000
However given the plethora of variants but also the unknown of resilience in individuals (not a case of whether antibodies are present) basically -RARE at this point in time, though more likely than the chance of winning the Euromillions.

As someone who has had it and has mild Long COVID symptoms (as has Mrs G), we will act as the Forum's anecdotal 'canaries in the coalmine' and arrange to notify people if either of us carks it from the dread plague. :smt037 :smt051

A quote from a friend of a friend (both research scientists in the biomedical sphere):
"I’ve produced numerous vaccines including Flu, Rabies, DPT, and specialty vaccines such as Swine Flu. Talk to any expert and they will tell you that the story of a pandemic can not begin to be told until several years after the start. Each virus is different and humans exhibit an astounding array of immunologic responses. The data sets are so large and there are so many variables that even “big data” struggles to make sense of it all. By 2023 or 2024 patient scientists will have an adequate grasp of the facts."
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

CrumblingTerrace
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by CrumblingTerrace » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:21 pm

Rugby's system of penalising a team for having cases of COVID is partly what's causing the issue. Four rounds in and we're already considering if the whole season is essentially null and void.

Football may have a backlog of fixtures but it's not going to relegate anyone without them kicking a ball.

LittleBigG
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:00 pm

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by LittleBigG » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:23 pm

Yes?

And, IMO, so was last season, given that clubs literally could not field their proper teams for each game for the 2nd half of it so it ended up an utter lottery - and that's not even getting to the players that ended up moving clubs part way through the season!

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2039
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: South Lincolnshire

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by Cagey Tiger » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:55 pm

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:47 pm
Tiglon wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:34 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:27 pm
Imagine you are a player & get a career ending injury in the current season, it would seem rather pointless.
What's the alternative? Stop rugby, players all made redundant or on furlough on £30k. Players normally on £100k plus all default on mortgages and have serious financial hardship, impacting the mental and physical health of them and their families. Is that any better?

Playing is still far from pointless for the players - put in good performances and they can enhance their reputations, increase earnings, develop their careers. None of that has changed.

I know what I'd rather do if I was a player...
I just think the whole concept of playing sport doesn't fit with a National Lockdown.
Quite the contrary. With the vast majority having to stay at home except for shopping , exercise etc. we all want something to help us 'escape' from our current situation. Anything that can be put on as some form of 'entertainment', without putting lives at much more risk than is the case now, is to be welcomed. Mental health is as important as physical health. I know that with many thousands of people are dying, but that doesn't mean we have to go down the sackcloth and ashes path.

markharbtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:53 am

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by markharbtiger » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:23 pm

CrumblingTerrace wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:21 pm
Rugby's system of penalising a team for having cases of COVID is partly what's causing the issue. Four rounds in and we're already considering if the whole season is essentially null and void.

Football may have a backlog of fixtures but it's not going to relegate anyone without them kicking a ball.
Agreed. A few more rounds with C19 handing victory to the teams without the cases makes league position farcical IMHO. Roll on legal challenges if they try to relegate someone under these circumstances...

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8128
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by Scott1 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:05 pm

jgriffin wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:26 pm
Last time I checked (Nov) the chances of getting it again were estimated at 7/10,000,000 based on Chinese data.
There were 1777 variants from UK that had genomes read; two - now 3 - were possibly more contagious/deadly.
US data suggests 5/38,000,000
However given the plethora of variants but also the unknown of resilience in individuals (not a case of whether antibodies are present) basically -RARE at this point in time, though more likely than the chance of winning the Euromillions.

As someone who has had it and has mild Long COVID symptoms (as has Mrs G), we will act as the Forum's anecdotal 'canaries in the coalmine' and arrange to notify people if either of us carks it from the dread plague. :smt037 :smt051

A quote from a friend of a friend (both research scientists in the biomedical sphere):
"I’ve produced numerous vaccines including Flu, Rabies, DPT, and specialty vaccines such as Swine Flu. Talk to any expert and they will tell you that the story of a pandemic can not begin to be told until several years after the start. Each virus is different and humans exhibit an astounding array of immunologic responses. The data sets are so large and there are so many variables that even “big data” struggles to make sense of it all. By 2023 or 2024 patient scientists will have an adequate grasp of the facts."
Stopped reading at Chinese 😂👍

TigerFeetSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1980
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:23 am

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by TigerFeetSteve » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:43 pm

LittleBigG wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:23 pm
Yes?

And, IMO, so was last season, given that clubs literally could not field their proper teams for each game for the 2nd half of it so it ended up an utter lottery - and that's not even getting to the players that ended up moving clubs part way through the season!
For me given it was determined who was relegated they should have had canned last season, had a longer season this year with room for rescheduling, as it is now we had exactly what we expected with the last few games, massive mismatches and Exeter become champions.

Had they scrapped the season we could have had gap weeks to rearrange any called off games and then this season's league would have been meaningful, as it is they have tried to do everything and missed it all.

Yes I'm enjoying watching the team play and improve, and seeing the new guys, but it just feels like individual games not a league.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2039
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: South Lincolnshire

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by Cagey Tiger » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:23 pm

TigerFeetSteve wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:43 pm
LittleBigG wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:23 pm
Yes?

And, IMO, so was last season, given that clubs literally could not field their proper teams for each game for the 2nd half of it so it ended up an utter lottery - and that's not even getting to the players that ended up moving clubs part way through the season!
For me given it was determined who was relegated they should have had canned last season, had a longer season this year with room for rescheduling, as it is now we had exactly what we expected with the last few games, massive mismatches and Exeter become champions.

Had they scrapped the season we could have had gap weeks to rearrange any called off games and then this season's league would have been meaningful, as it is they have tried to do everything and missed it all.

Yes I'm enjoying watching the team play and improve, and seeing the new guys, but it just feels like individual games not a league.
Unfortunately, I think that finances won the day. Had they scrapped last season, would BT have paid (or demanded a rebate) for matches that were not played. With no gate receipts etc and no TV money, would some clubs have gone to the wall? I don't know.

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3352
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by LE18 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:06 pm

I hope season continues and we can return to watch live rugby, cant wait I got my jab yesterday. :smt002 :smt002 :smt002

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2716
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:53 am
Location: Barrowford, near the Witches

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 pm

LE18 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:06 pm
I hope season continues and we can return to watch live rugby, cant wait I got my jab yesterday. :smt002 :smt002 :smt002
Some of us might get ours by Autumn....
To win is not as important as playing with style!

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3352
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by LE18 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:59 pm

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 pm
LE18 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:06 pm
I hope season continues and we can return to watch live rugby, cant wait I got my jab yesterday. :smt002 :smt002 :smt002
Some of us might get ours by Autumn....
I really hope you get it soon, but you must be a young fit man with no underlying problems. I only had 2 hours notice due to folks cancelling, are they mad :smt017

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2716
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:53 am
Location: Barrowford, near the Witches

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:52 pm

LE18 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:59 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 pm
LE18 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:06 pm
I hope season continues and we can return to watch live rugby, cant wait I got my jab yesterday. :smt002 :smt002 :smt002
Some of us might get ours by Autumn....
I really hope you get it soon, but you must be a young fit man with no underlying problems. I only had 2 hours notice due to folks cancelling, are they mad :smt017
I wish on both counts.... :smt005
To win is not as important as playing with style!

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8128
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by Scott1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:28 am

Rumours on Twitter that elite sport will be cancelled for four weeks to roll the vaccine out.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7383
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Burbage

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by JP14 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 am

Scott1 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:28 am
Rumours on Twitter that elite sport will be cancelled for four weeks to roll the vaccine out.
Just in general or for the players?
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest