Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Is this season a Farce with the cancellations

Post by Scott1 »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:03 pm
chewbacca wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:04 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:24 am I hope you're not lumping anyone who dares question the situation either because I and many have just been totally vindicated with regards to the PCR testing after the WHO recent statement on them. I hate the fact that there's no middle ground and how you are labelled if you dare go against the grain!
I'd sooner have a diagnostic test that errs on the side of safety(false positives in this case) than one that delivers false negatives with the associated consequences. No diagnostic test is 100% accurate for anything.
The blurb with the test I had, as part of a UK survey warned of both false positives AND false negatives.

My wife works in day care for key workers kids. There was a case in the group so she got tested. Result +ve. She just had a slight cough. That's all.

I had to self isolate and inform the University. They wanted me to take a test. I did. +VE. No symptoms, but +VE.

In the recent past I would have assumed nothing was wrong with me and I'd have turned in for work. So am I a disbeliver? Sceptic?

To be quite honest I don't know what to believe.
Be careful,you will be called a flat earther and that you believe in lizard people 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:24 am I hope you're not lumping anyone who dares question the situation either because I and many have just been totally vindicated with regards to the PCR testing after the WHO recent statement on them. I hate the fact that there's no middle ground and how you are labelled if you dare go against the grain!
I'd sooner have a diagnostic test that errs on the side of safety(false positives in this case) than one that delivers false negatives with the associated consequences. No diagnostic test is 100% accurate for anything.
The blurb with the test I had, as part of a UK survey warned of both false positives AND false negatives.

My wife works in day care for key workers kids. There was a case in the group so she got tested. Result +ve. She just had a slight cough. That's all.

I had to self isolate and inform the University. They wanted me to take a test. I did. +VE. No symptoms, but +VE.

In the recent past I would have assumed nothing was wrong with me and I'd have turned in for work. So am I a disbeliver? Sceptic?

Sometimes it's better to believe nothing.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:08 pm

But question everything
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:13 pm

But question everything
Not everything. I don't need to question whether the sky is blue every morning when I wake up. Generally, you only need to have belief in something if there are no facts to prove it's existence.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:16 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:13 pm

But question everything
Not everything. I don't need to question whether the sky is blue every morning when I wake up. Generally, you only need to have belief in something if there are no facts to prove it's existence.
Facts and statistics make strange bedfellows........
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Problem with this disease is they have proven asymptomatic people can pass on the virus, given so many can be both completely asymptomatic and contagious means you have to take positives seriously
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:36 pm

Problem with this disease is they have proven asymptomatic people can pass on the virus, given so many can be both completely asymptomatic and contagious means you have to take positives seriously
Less than 3% chance of asymptomatic transmissibility in the study I read.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:48 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:36 pm

Less than 3% chance of asymptomatic transmissibility in the study I read.
From the latest BMJ article I read on it that Asymptomatic transmission (in the case of having been positively tested) was low however due to the nature of not having symptoms or a positive test the greater exposure to other people (as the majority of symptomatic people isolate) means that asymptomatic (& presymptomatic) transmission rates are still high.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Another thing that has always got me thinking is,have we ever had a virus,viral/bacterial infection in the history of mankind that has had such a wide array of symptoms as COVID? Thinking of the serious ones such as viral and bacterial meningitis to chest infections such as pneumonia and bronchitis to norovirus and even the common cold which has over 200 variations but they all still display the same symptoms. Now we have a respiratory virus that can give you pink eye,pick toe, sickness and diarrhoea as well as many others. It’s a poser isn’t it?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:26 pm Another thing that has always got me thinking is,have we ever had a virus,viral/bacterial infection in the history of mankind that has had such a wide array of symptoms as COVID? Thinking of the serious ones such as viral and bacterial meningitis to chest infections such as pneumonia and bronchitis to norovirus and even the common cold which has over 200 variations but they all still display the same symptoms. Now we have a respiratory virus that can give you pink eye,pick toe, sickness and diarrhoea as well as many others. It’s a poser isn’t it?
Not really. Virulent viruses do all sorts of damage. None have been so publicly reported and discussed as this one

Stay at home as much as you can, wash often, open the windows ,take the vaccine when offered. Simple.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:41 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:26 pm Another thing that has always got me thinking is,have we ever had a virus,viral/bacterial infection in the history of mankind that has had such a wide array of symptoms as COVID? Thinking of the serious ones such as viral and bacterial meningitis to chest infections such as pneumonia and bronchitis to norovirus and even the common cold which has over 200 variations but they all still display the same symptoms. Now we have a respiratory virus that can give you pink eye,pick toe, sickness and diarrhoea as well as many others. It’s a poser isn’t it?
Not really. Virulent viruses do all sorts of damage. None have been so publicly reported and discussed as this one

Stay at home as much as you can, wash often, open the windows ,take the vaccine when offered. Simple.
Don't worry. I'm just doing as I'm told.... Plus a glass of medicine now and again..... ... But if I am a potential carrier, then how many like me, +VE but without symptoms are walking around in the belief they are not infected?

There's a hole in the logic somewhere.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:41 pm

Name me a specific virus then that has caused this wide array of symptoms? If you are saying not really then there must be many.I’ll wait.....and I go out and work as well as exercising and getting as much fresh air as possible. I’m clean as a whistle ,it’s too cold to open the windows and as for the vaccine? I’m not prepared to put anything in my body that has only passed FDA approval on immediate and short term evidence.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:17 pm
Old Hob wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:41 pm [

Don't worry. I'm just doing as I'm told.... Plus a glass of medicine now and again..... ... But if I am a potential carrier, then how many like me, +VE but without symptoms are walking around in the belief they are not infected?

There's a hole in the logic somewhere.
Best estimate? Maybe1 in 50. This is why everybody has to take the vaccine. Unvaccinated people are potential spreaders.

"FDA"?? I, and I assume you, do not live in America
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Vaccinated people are potential spreaders! Are you on commission or something?!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I actually wrote UNvaccinated people are spreaders but - yes - evidence is still being sought as to whether vaccinated people can still spread while the vaccine takes effect. Probably not - but it is not known for certain. Care home owner has just made vaccination a condition of employment - good for him