Exeter Chiefs

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Exeter Chiefs

Post by BFG »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:43 pm There is no place for racism in the sport but in my opinion there is much being made out of nothing. I am sure that some of the names, emblems etc used were used for commercial points rather than be referrred to as racist and offensive. The context in which they are being used needs to be taken in consideration....no more YMCA!
Racism has rightly been given the stage and awareness promoted in the process. Education is the next step for everyone as history cannot be turned back but the future can be changed.
I have been brought up living in many overseas countries and associating with friends and colleagues of over 50 nationalities, races and religions.
Racism cannot be condoned and we need to learn.

All fun aside you are absolutely right.
It has to be recognised that prejudice against skin colour does exist and everyone can contribute to eradicating it if they want to.
A platform for any form of prejudice to hide behind should not be provided.
You can have fun and be respectful of this at the same time.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

BFG wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:27 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:43 pm There is no place for racism in the sport but in my opinion there is much being made out of nothing. I am sure that some of the names, emblems etc used were used for commercial points rather than be referrred to as racist and offensive. The context in which they are being used needs to be taken in consideration....no more YMCA!
Racism has rightly been given the stage and awareness promoted in the process. Education is the next step for everyone as history cannot be turned back but the future can be changed.
I have been brought up living in many overseas countries and associating with friends and colleagues of over 50 nationalities, races and religions.
Racism cannot be condoned and we need to learn.

All fun aside you are absolutely right.
It has to be recognised that prejudice against skin colour does exist and everyone can contribute to eradicating it if they want to.
A platform for prejudice to hide behind should not be provided.
You can have fun and be respectful of this at the same time.
True. Very true, but it's not just skin colour though. It's anyone or anything that is "different". Religion, sexual orientation, nationality, caste, fat, thin, blonde, ginger, old, mentally ill, disabled......any group can be and has been mistreated and bullied. Exterminated even.

Black lives matter? No. ALL of the above matter.

The two sports I love the most can do much to ensure and demonstrate tolerance accross all creeds and colours by playing the game as it should be played. Inclusivity is more than taking a knee... It's certainly more than taking a knee with a gloved black fist in the air.

Sorry....... I'll get me coat.

When does the rugby actually start again?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

I was about to make another facetious comment about playing rugby in the bath, but - the new Tigers kit is made by 'Samurai?' I don't believe it.
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

It is less Exeter's deliberate 'appropriation' of Native American culture and more about the influence of the United States / Disney / Hollywood on Britain generally, which has been in place since WW2, if not before.

Yes, social media. Let's have a discussion. You don't like those, though, do you? Because we might have to consider compromise.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:16 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:38 am
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36 am

Whatever the reason, Exeter are entitled to use that and choose not to change.
They’re not entitled by anything, they have no genuine link to Native Americans whatsoever and are abusing Hollywood stereotypes for financial gain.

It’ll be interesting to see if pressure will now be exerted onto the RFU or Prem Rugby following Exeter’s decision.
Why does there need to be a link? Maybe they just want to call themselves Exeter Chiefs and in turn, have head gear etc to match up. What link do sharks and Sale have?
It’s interesting how you hold a people and sharks in the same regard...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It would be interesting to see how many Exeter fans would feel comfortable wearing their club shirts etc in one of the Native American reservations. If they wouldn't then there's clearly a problem...
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:27 am
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:16 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:38 am
They’re not entitled by anything, they have no genuine link to Native Americans whatsoever and are abusing Hollywood stereotypes for financial gain.

It’ll be interesting to see if pressure will now be exerted onto the RFU or Prem Rugby following Exeter’s decision.
Why does there need to be a link? Maybe they just want to call themselves Exeter Chiefs and in turn, have head gear etc to match up. What link do sharks and Sale have?
It’s interesting how you hold a people and sharks in the same regard...
They are both living creatures after all. Are you saying animals aren’t as important as humans?
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:07 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:30 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:01 pm

1998 I believe
Yet we are now in 2020. It’s taken 22 years for this to be brought up. Is it a coincidence that we now live in a snow flake society and people are now offended by this? I think not.
No, it's taken 22 years for this majority white, privileged (relatively speaking) society to recognise the issue (myself included!). It's been an issue for many years you (i.e. most of us here) just haven't been aware of it.

Comparing the All Blacks to the commercial exploitation of a minority group that has been oppressed throughout history, and is still oppressed - look at the the education/employment/incarceration stats if you don't believe it - is neither funny or relevant.

And this talk of a "snowflake" society is exactly the same as when people spout out the drivel of "all lives matter" in response to black lives matter. Its completely missing the point.
I think talking about the All Blacks is relevant. That’s why I mentioned it.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

As previously, it is important but the context in which it is being used needs to be considered. In some cases things are used to make a point in a negative manner. Racism can come in many forms but people need to be educated and made aware.
If we try to remove everything that is deemed to be offensive this will be a very sad place.
London Irish will have to change their name as it will offend the Irish.
Leicester Tigers, Sale Sharks, London Wasps, Newcastle Falcons, Northampton Saints, Worcester Warriors?
Some common sense and acceptance needs to be applied where there is no intention of making a statement or offence intended.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m sorry TB but you’re just being exaggeratory to sideline the real issue at hand.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:36 am I’m sorry TB but you’re just being exaggeratory to sideline the real issue at hand.
He has a point. As I’ve said previously, people nowadays are offended by anything. How do you know there aren’t people offended by the name London Irish and if there are people offended by it, should there be a petition to get them to change their name?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:36 am I’m sorry TB but you’re just being exaggeratory to sideline the real issue at hand.
JP14, I recognise that this is an issue and needs to be addressed. The exaggeration is asking how far do we have to go to make changes to address the issue..........not intended as offensive. As another user said, all lives matter and racism is not acceptable in todays society but that does not mean that everything in the past needs to be changed.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:13 am
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:30 pm

Yet we are now in 2020. It’s taken 22 years for this to be brought up. Is it a coincidence that we now live in a snow flake society and people are now offended by this? I think not.
No, it's taken 22 years for this majority white, privileged (relatively speaking) society to recognise the issue (myself included!). It's been an issue for many years you (i.e. most of us here) just haven't been aware of it.

Comparing the All Blacks to the commercial exploitation of a minority group that has been oppressed throughout history, and is still oppressed - look at the the education/employment/incarceration stats if you don't believe it - is neither funny or relevant.

And this talk of a "snowflake" society is exactly the same as when people spout out the drivel of "all lives matter" in response to black lives matter. Its completely missing the point.
Pretty sure they’re called The All Blacks because of the colour of their strip and nothing else whatsoever
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Exaggeratory - I’ve never come across that before

Well done JP14 :smt026
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:43 am
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:13 am

Pretty sure they’re called The All Blacks because of the colour of their strip and nothing else whatsoever
Yes probably but if there are people offended by the name, should there be a petition to get them to change it and if not, why not?