RFU To Review The Use of 'Swing Low,Sweet Chariot' ; Connotations of Slavery ?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: RFU To Review The Use of 'Swing Low,Sweet Chariot' ; Connotations of Slavery ?

Post by BFG »

I'd only sing Swing Low in shower.
Never sang it at the rugby.
I'm fine with others singing it apart from when some arm waving beer sloshing half cut fool in front is blocking everyone's view whilst singing out of tune.
This saga again raises the important question though, why didn't someone get Martin Offiah a highly paid temp job to play for England at the 1991 World Cup?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: RFU To Review The Use of 'Swing Low,Sweet Chariot' ; Connotations of Slavery ?

Post by jgriffin »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:16 pm I'm with Martin Offiah - they're right to raise the issue, but let's put a positive spin on the song and use it to promote BLM and togetherness, not let it became a symbol of division. Then, focus on the real problems and build a fairer and more inclusive society.

The whole idea of banning Swing Low leaves me utterly baffled. If someone could explain the logic I would be eternally grateful.
I think the RFU are trying to obscure the fact that they have never been as inclusive as they might wish. As usual, they jumped on the wrong horse for the wrong reasons.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I shall stop listening to Beethoven and Mahler as they were favoured by Hitler
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

chewbacca wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:48 pm I shall stop listening to Beethoven and Mahler as they were favoured by Hitler
The funny thing is, the nazis banned Swing Low. So, if we follow the logic of banning Swing Low, we should only sing songs that Hitler liked. :smt017

Or instead we could continue singing a beautiful song that celebrates the life and talent of a man who was cruelly enslaved. I know which sounds less racist to me.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Well, it distracted us from considering other far more worthy issue in the world, or even with the RFU. It's a dead cat.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

chewbacca wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:48 pm I shall stop listening to Beethoven and Mahler as they were favoured by Hitler
Then you'd also better add Wagner to your list.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:13 pm
Then you'd also better add Wagner to your list.
A get a dislike to animals & vegetarians..
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Welsh anthem 'Delilah' could be next ......
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/welsh-an ... offensive/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:35 am Welsh anthem 'Delilah' could be next ......
I kind of get this one, the idea of singing a song about stabbing a woman for cheating on you is a bit odd - particularly at a rugby match. However...

We'll need to ban all movies that depict any kind of violence too, in this case. So we'll all be watching Disney movies only, except Walt Disney was racist so we can't watch those either.

Most books will need to be destroyed, especially the "classics". War and Peace is full of casual and accepted violence against women, so we'd better burn every copy of that.

Classic opera usually involves portrayals of violence, often to women, so the Royal Opera House will need to be shut down or repurposed.

Shakespeare, as mentioned in the article, falls into the same category. No more of that please.

Almost every country in the world was founded on violence, so we'll have to forget the idea of nations and governments.

Almost every culture has violence, sexism and slavery in its history, so the only solution is the end of the human race. The animals can take over... but, only the nice vegetarian ones.

The world has gone genuinely mad.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'd go back on the tablets if I were you :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Made me laugh but hes absolutely right,cant just pick and choose what offends!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:35 am Welsh anthem 'Delilah' could be next ......
I kind of get this one, the idea of singing a song about stabbing a woman for cheating on you is a bit odd - particularly at a rugby match. However...

We'll need to ban all movies that depict any kind of violence too, in this case. So we'll all be watching Disney movies only, except Walt Disney was racist so we can't watch those either.

Most books will need to be destroyed, especially the "classics". War and Peace is full of casual and accepted violence against women, so we'd better burn every copy of that.

Classic opera usually involves portrayals of violence, often to women, so the Royal Opera House will need to be shut down or repurposed.

Shakespeare, as mentioned in the article, falls into the same category. No more of that please.

Almost every country in the world was founded on violence, so we'll have to forget the idea of nations and governments.

Almost every culture has violence, sexism and slavery in its history, so the only solution is the end of the human race. The animals can take over... but, only the nice vegetarian ones.

The world has gone genuinely mad.
Agreed. It's a world gone genuinely mad, all this political correctness. Anyway got to dash I've got another Bernard Manning video to watch.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:16 am I'd go back on the tablets if I were you :smt005
Last time I tried that I broke the screen on my iPad...
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:32 am Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.
You should learn the discipline of Crimestop. :smt002 :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:13 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:32 am Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.
You should learn the discipline of Crimestop. :smt002 :smt005
Nicked from the old Leninist/Maoist ideological tradition (by the Daily Mail in the 80s) and linked to the 'cultural Marxism' term invented in the states as a counter to imported academic (European and Jewish) liberalism by an obscure US far right academic called Shroyer, actually the term is a blanket dismissal used by far right commentators and politicians.
There's nothing about the OP that involves anything but the RFU jumping on a bandwagon and being seen to 'do something'. As a card carrying lefty who is a carnivore, doesn't wear sandals and is not a pacifist, a moment's research should have told the RFU this was simply silly.
And it's a :censored: song. :smt035
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95