RFU To Review The Use of 'Swing Low,Sweet Chariot' ; Connotations of Slavery ?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: RFU To Review The Use of 'Swing Low,Sweet Chariot' ; Connotations of Slavery ?

Post by Scott1 »

Mr Churchill predicted the future of the left wing to a tee when he described what fascists would end up calling themselves.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: RFU To Review The Use of 'Swing Low,Sweet Chariot' ; Connotations of Slavery ?

Post by strawclearer »

Many generations ago, my family were forced to flee Spain because of the Spanish Inquisition.

I'm asking everyone to stop singing "Macarena" in solidarity with my family.

Actually - sod the family - just stop singing it anyway! :smt027
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

My Grandad disliked Do The Conga, making the train longer went against union rules.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

As a former cotton mill worker I wanted the Gracie Fields number "Sing As We Go" banned, glorifying what was an exploited existence. 😜
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:32 pm Mr Churchill predicted the future of the left wing to a tee when he described what fascists would end up calling themselves.
The quote you are referring to was wrongly attributed to Churchill. He never said that.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:05 pm Many generations ago, my family were forced to flee Spain because of the Spanish Inquisition.
Unexpectedly, I presume?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:40 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:05 pm Many generations ago, my family were forced to flee Spain because of the Spanish Inquisition.
Unexpectedly, I presume?
Well, of course! [Diabolical laughter!]
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsefeg
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

This whole thread (minus a few posts Jgriffin :smt038 ) embodies the RFU position.

The issue isn't the singing of a song that was penned by a slave. Its that the song is sung for a sport that is run by majority middle/upper class white men and has a very poor record for inclusion. And yet the RFU wants to focus on the song not the underlying issue :smt017
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:58 pm This whole thread (minus a few posts Jgriffin :smt038 ) embodies the RFU position.

The issue isn't the singing of a song that was penned by a slave. Its that the song is sung for a sport that is run by majority middle/upper class white men and has a very poor record for inclusion. And yet the RFU wants to focus on the song not the underlying issue :smt017
Do you mean like maybe someone wanting £25k to wear a kit for two hours that could be manufactured in a sweatshop by someone on maybe £5 a day?
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:58 pm This whole thread (minus a few posts Jgriffin :smt038 ) embodies the RFU position.

Lack of inclusion is the core reason why rugby is a minority sport as you identify the issue is more to do with class than colour.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

BFG wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:09 pm

Do you mean like maybe someone wanting £25k to wear a kit for two hours that could be manufactured in a sweatshop by someone on maybe £5 a day?
That is definitely an issue that needs addressing but it shouldn't take away from the current issue either. Rugby is a long way from being perfect in any sense.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

So banning the singing of a hymn that dates back to the slave era is going to achieve what exactly?
It doesn't glorify slavery and it doesn't honour the slave owners so what is the problem.

Rugby union has tended to be much more racially inclusive than many sports and is the class perception more of reflection of the "chip on the shoulder brigde" who are ill informed about rugby union in the majority of England in current times?

Perhaps it was different in the amateur era and perhaps it was different in London (although I have no evidence for that in recent times). More likely it reflects that sport in many state schools has dwindled and rugby has suffered as the kids of today are more atracted to soccer and the wealth and status that comes with it in the eyes of youngsters. Rugby (of either code) is destined to remain a minority sport as kids of today seem less willing to get battered in the name of sport.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Has there been any talk of a ban on the singing of Amazing Grace anywhere yet?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

We should definitely ban Amazing Grace. It makes light of blindness. Disgraceful.

Maybe we should just ban words in general, to be on the safe side?
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:37 am Rugby union has tended to be much more racially inclusive than many sports and is the class perception more of reflection of the "chip on the shoulder brigde" who are ill informed about rugby union in the majority of England in current times?

Perhaps it was different in the amateur era and perhaps it was different in London (although I have no evidence for that in recent times). More likely it reflects that sport in many state schools has dwindled and rugby has suffered as the kids of today are more attracted to soccer and the wealth and status that comes with it in the eyes of youngsters. Rugby (of either code) is destined to remain a minority sport as kids of today seem less willing to get battered in the name of sport.
I don't think it's ill-informed. Look at the RFU, the club boards, the club coaching teams - the diversity just isn't there. And speak to players like Genge - they will tell you how they feel about inclusivity and rugby and how accessible it is as a sport. I'm not trying to claim this is all on rugby to solve, it's a complex web that runs throughout society - as you suggest, school funding will play a part, etc.

But the RFU has chosen to focus on a song rather than any number of more important issues that need addressing.