The BBC - a continued failure

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: The BBC - a continued failure

Post by mol2 »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
mol2 wrote:Oh yes the World Service.
Just what the average UK licence player is paying for!
It can give its output free to the rest of the world but the UK is expected to pay! Those who chose not to are subject to criminal prosecution.

Not a Daily Mail reader and no political agenda - I just don't see then the BBC does enough to distinguish itself in terms of public service broadcasting from the other major channels to justify it's being funded by compulsion.

Encrypt it and charge. I might pay. However I don't think the law should come down on those who don't wish to watch it's output and quite reasonably are less than keen to pay a fee to the BBC when they don't watch it.
Taking your last paragraph a step further, I rarely, if ever, watch ITV, but I and everyone generally pay for it (indirectly). ITV is part funded by advertising, the marketing budget for said advertising is effectively paid for by consumers of the products advertised. As I don't watch ITV or the adverts, why should I have to pay higher prices for the goods that I buy because of the cost of the adverts on ITV? Just an observation.
As a consumer you have the choice to buy the product that is being advertised or a rival product.
As a TV viewer I am forced to buy a TV licence even if I don't want the BBC product.

How many times do the BBC mention sponsors' names? Far too often to be seen as independent.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

mol2 wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:
mol2 wrote:Oh yes the World Service.
Just what the average UK licence player is paying for!
It can give its output free to the rest of the world but the UK is expected to pay! Those who chose not to are subject to criminal prosecution.

Not a Daily Mail reader and no political agenda - I just don't see then the BBC does enough to distinguish itself in terms of public service broadcasting from the other major channels to justify it's being funded by compulsion.

Encrypt it and charge. I might pay. However I don't think the law should come down on those who don't wish to watch it's output and quite reasonably are less than keen to pay a fee to the BBC when they don't watch it.
Taking your last paragraph a step further, I rarely, if ever, watch ITV, but I and everyone generally pay for it (indirectly). ITV is part funded by advertising, the marketing budget for said advertising is effectively paid for by consumers of the products advertised. As I don't watch ITV or the adverts, why should I have to pay higher prices for the goods that I buy because of the cost of the adverts on ITV? Just an observation.
As a consumer you have the choice to buy the product that is being advertised or a rival product.
As a TV viewer I am forced to buy a TV licence even if I don't want the BBC product.

How many times do the BBC mention sponsors' names? Far too often to be seen as independent.
Ah, I have choice. Let me think this through. I stop buying products because they advertise on ITV. I suppose that is one way of deciding what to buy :smt044.

However, it does require me to watch the adverts, which I don't do. So back to where I started. I am indirectly paying for something that I do not watch. There is no choice, not without a lot of pointless research into who advertises what.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

You have a choice if you think a product is over priced because of the advertising. Few products are genuinely unique.

You have no choice about paying the licence fee. You can't legally just watch another channel.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

strawclearer wrote:Iain's right! The BBC is for art, for culture. It is not to be given to what the people want! It is for what the people don't want but ought to have! Is that clear, Bernard???
At last some humour, thank you SC!
Wish I'd never started this post. All I said was their rugby coverage was :censored:!!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Roly wrote:
G.K wrote: watching TV in French or Dutch was far preferable to the sanctimious, patronising, left wing propaganda (quite subtle actually) dribble that emanates from the BBC. No surprise only the lefties watch it.
If you actually believe that, I suppose we ought to feel sorry for you.
No it's you we should feel sorry for, there's none so blind as those that won't see.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I think what's most shocking about thr BBC over the last couple of weeks is the bias they have shown for Labour in their reporting. They need reporting themselves to either Ofcom or Oftel. I'm surprised no other party has put in a complaint. On last nights 6.00pm bulletin. Every Election story started with the Labour standpoint in some depth whilst other parties particularly the minor ones were just skipped over in a couple of sentences. Shocking!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Noddy555 wrote:I think what's most shocking about thr BBC over the last couple of weeks is the bias they have shown for Labour in their reporting. They need reporting themselves to either Ofcom or Oftel. I'm surprised no other party has put in a complaint. On last nights 6.00pm bulletin. Every Election story started with the Labour standpoint in some depth whilst other parties particularly the minor ones were just skipped over in a couple of sentences. Shocking!
The irony is that they're only giving Labour a 'bias' because they're finally having to be neutral because of purdah. Labour supporters would argue that for the previous 11 months there'd been a massive anti-Labour bias.

*For the record I have never voted Labour

If both sides argue that there is a bias then coverage is probably fairly neutral and the bias depends on your personal view and the pertinent story
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Oh Well post Brexit if we get a good deal then we may??? be ok, but I dread the next world economic slump when we are outside the EU. One thing that will never change though is the sod awful reporting standards of the British Media whether in print or on TV.
mj2012

Post by mj2012 »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:53 am
Noddy555 wrote:I think what's most shocking about thr BBC over the last couple of weeks is the bias they have shown for Labour in their reporting. They need reporting themselves to either Ofcom or Oftel. I'm surprised no other party has put in a complaint. On last nights 6.00pm bulletin. Every Election story started with the Labour standpoint in some depth whilst other parties particularly the minor ones were just skipped over in a couple of sentences. Shocking!
The irony is that they're only giving Labour a 'bias' because they're finally having to be neutral because of purdah. Labour supporters would argue that for the previous 11 months there'd been a massive anti-Labour bias.

*For the record I have never voted Labour

If both sides argue that there is a bias then coverage is probably fairly neutral and the bias depends on your personal view and the pertinent story
Stumbled across this thread. This sums up my sentiments exactly. If both sides have something to complain about in terms of "bias", then it's probably doing quite a good job at being neutral. People get annoyed because they have to pay something which might give them an opinion that differs from their own.

I feel the people who share this opinion are few and far between these days sadly.
He he shamone, but with a better touch :smt023
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Apart from the Drama and News departments the rest of the BBC is atrocious and evermore turning into what I call Wallpaper Television or even worse paint drying television. I used to be a Sky customer and at one stage could get
up to 940 Free Channels. Trouble is that 900 of them were a complete waste of time and would have John Logie Baird spinning in his grave.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Noddy555 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:59 pm Apart from the Drama and News departments the rest of the BBC is atrocious and evermore turning into what I call Wallpaper Television or even worse paint drying television. I used to be a Sky customer and at one stage could get
up to 940 Free Channels. Trouble is that 900 of them were a complete waste of time and would have John Logie Baird spinning in his grave.
As the spoof BBC parody, W1A, said "This is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better."

I'm not totally convinced this was a joke!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

If you all think the BBC is the pits, come over to France - it's worse, so much so that I no longer have a telly!!
Semper in excretia
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Noddy555 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:30 am I think what's most shocking about thr BBC over the last couple of weeks is the bias they have shown for Labour in their reporting. They need reporting themselves to either Ofcom or Oftel. I'm surprised no other party has put in a complaint. On last nights 6.00pm bulletin. Every Election story started with the Labour standpoint in some depth whilst other parties particularly the minor ones were just skipped over in a couple of sentences. Shocking!
Probably because it was the week of the Labour Party conference. Doh
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:59 pm
Noddy555 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:30 am I think what's most shocking about thr BBC over the last couple of weeks is the bias they have shown for Labour in their reporting. They need reporting themselves to either Ofcom or Oftel. I'm surprised no other party has put in a complaint. On last nights 6.00pm bulletin. Every Election story started with the Labour standpoint in some depth whilst other parties particularly the minor ones were just skipped over in a couple of sentences. Shocking!
Probably because it was the week of the Labour Party conference. Doh
Bit of a date fail there!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives