The BBC - a continued failure

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

The BBC - a continued failure

Post by tigercaspian »

Exeter win the greatest Prem final ever and get dropped to 5th place in BBC sports headlines, behind the FA Cup Final (understandable), a ODI v the Saffas (probably OK ), and moneybags Celtic continuing to bully people whilst their manager is celebrated as a genius, and Lewis Hamilton fails to get on the grid again because he can't get his ego or wallet round Monaco's tight corners.
Shame on you BBC!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The BBC - a continued failure

Post by fortysix »

Rugby is still considerd by the lefties to be an upper class game so diminishing its impact is mandatory...
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

ITV didn't mention it at all, minority sport that they have little interest in.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

We obviously belong to an "exclusive club" called Rugby supporters.
We are so elite we go under the Radar.The establishments loss no ours.
Bet you ...we hear more about the Lions and England tours.

Well done Exeter and The Pests for a great final.

Just shows, on recent performances, Tigers are not that far off....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

BBC only pay attention to The Celtic nations.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

fortysix wrote:Rugby is still considerd by the lefties to be an upper class game so diminishing its impact is mandatory...
Speaking as a leftie....I do consider professional RU in England to be elitist (a slightly more nuanced term than "upper class") with some justification. I confess to not having the most recent data to hand, but in 2015 the England squad was a 50-50 split between private-state school educated (the population split is around 7-93). I'm sure if you looked at the player biographies on the website of any premiership club in England you'd see a similar pattern in the English born/educated players.

Obviously this is a complex issue. Firstly, it could be argued that although not reaching the levels of the US, there has been a small rise in sports scholarships to private schools, so this might skew the data a little. Secondly, this imbalance is certainly not anywhere nearly so pronounced in amateur rugby, and thirdly, rugby is by no means the only sport where this imbalance exists at an elite level. Look at the statistics for cricket, for instance.

This is, of course, slightly off-topic - the thread was about the BBC's coverage of rugby, and to suggest that rugby suffers by comparison to soccer because it is run by "lefties" is a ridiculous argument. Soccer gets saturation coverage in all sports media (outside of NZ and SA, perhaps) because it is more popular than rugby. Who'd have thought it?!

As for whether the BBC is a leftist organisation or not - a tired old argument that's not worth pursuing. Guardian readers think it's a bastion of establishment conservativism, Daily Mail readers think it's a hotbed of pinko subversives. ''Twas ever thus.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

fortysix wrote:Rugby is still considerd by the lefties to be an upper class game so diminishing its impact is mandatory...
A coment which says so much more about the author than about its supposed subject.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The BBC has barely had any interest in rugby outside of the 6 nations since it began and it got worse when sky appeared in the uk and took over most of the televised sport. Politics has little to do with it, though the old school tie has diminished in the game. Clubs were "by invitation only" and even when this reduced, the RFU still wouldn't pick working class players, even if they were the best player in their position. That is the fault of the suits that run the beeb and rugby, not our beloved game.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Well, there was me having a little (and regular) moan about the BBC's coverage of the 15 a-side game (and ITV perhaps even worse as Tigerburnie points out) and, blow me, if I haven't kicked off a political discussion!!
That wasn't and isn't my point, folks, and thanks to chris111 for acknowledging that: my point is that the BBC, despite a national stadium that is regularly sold out,and doing consistently well in the European Championship, still fails to give the game its deserved coverage in my view.
The fact that one body or another sees the game as 'elitist' or 'upper class' is neither here nor there. After all , what could be more elitist that F1, particularly in Monaco but, no, that's top headline news every race and particularly if a grumpy 31 year old teenager from posh Hertfordshire wins occasionally.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

And the BBC 10 o'clock news reported sport in this order :
Tennis
F1
Hamilton Academicals v Dundee Utd (crowd 2,612, no really!!)
Blackpool v Exeter (irony!) ( Blackpool only sold 6000 tickets due to ongoing supporters dispute with
the current owners)
Americas Cup sailing
Golf
England v Ba-Ba's
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

If we want to try and make a difference - drop an email to [email protected] which I have done - the more the merrier
Hehehehehehehehe
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

trendylfj wrote:If we want to try and make a difference - drop an email to [email protected] which I have done - the more the merrier
Good luck with that. I suggest you will be lucky to get other than their stock banal response.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Growing up in the 50'S and 60's BBC was the world standard for unbiased reporting of news and Sport. Went all wrong in the mid 70's and now rely on cheap news broadcasting with an overly biased stance.Sport is reported as an advert for their "Sports Personality of the Year"
Gave up on the BBC in the early 80's. Nothing has tempted me back.
And all for £12-21/month licence fee.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

trendylfj wrote:If we want to try and make a difference - drop an email to [email protected] which I have done - the more the merrier
Wasting your time, matey. We lefties have known for a while that complaints to the BBC are outsourced to a company owned by Capita, you get an anodyne response and nothing really goes back to the BBC.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Isn't there a programme on Sundays where Terry Wogan reads out letters sent to the Beeb?