They've only gone and done it!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: They've only gone and done it!

Post by Iain »

Worcester winning it wouldn't be as ground shaking. The salary cap means there isn't really a gap between haves and have nots (yes, yes I know... that's for a different thread) and there is no real established order of merit.

There are 20 teams in the Premier League. It was always widely believed no more than four or five teams could possibly win it as nobody else had the resources or squads needed. City have absolutely torn up what everyone knew to be true. Nobody else any longer has an excuse for why they can't win the league. It really is impossible to overstate how massive this is. It really is up there with 'greatest of all time' achievements. No question about it.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Great to know Roly's natural pessimism goes beyond the Tigers.
Remove the natural and I might agree.
Is Roly a person, or an automated junk messenger sending out from somewhere on the South side of the African Continent! :smt017
Or is Roly a retired poodle from Eastenders?
Cheery chappy
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

The big change in the game is really the number of games played, and the inability of players in the modern game to physically play to their maximum ever 3-4 days consistently. So the bigger clubs are playing anywhere between 55-65 games if they have decent cup runs. LCFC have played only 40 games this season including all cups.

Its a massive leveller, but only if you manage, coach and play as brilliantly as LCFC have done this season and taken full advantage of it.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Great to know Roly's natural pessimism goes beyond the Tigers.
Remove the natural and I might agree.
Is Roly a person, or an automated junk messenger sending out from somewhere on the South side of the African Continent! :smt017
Or is Roly a retired poodle from Eastenders?
Very poor attempt.

No doubt works well when watched.

Must try harder. 5 out of 10.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Looking back over the last year at Leicester City, what stands out for me are the owners. They were not prepared to go against their principle of respect when the hotel incident occurred. No knee jerk reaction, but took everything into account and released Nigel Pearson from his contract, which shocked many people, as this was the guy who had 'saved' the club from relegation.
They then appointed Mr Ranieri, who has class and is well respected in the game. What happened next is history.

For me, the direction that they have gone in, has been based on respect!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Looking back over the last year at Leicester City, what stands out for me are the owners. They were not prepared to go against their principle of respect when the hotel incident occurred. No knee jerk reaction, but took everything into account and released Nigel Pearson from his contract, which shocked many people, as this was the guy who had 'saved' the club from relegation.
They then appointed Mr Ranieri, who has class and is well respected in the game. What happened next is history.

I agree. Also proper values and principles.

It also helps to have such a natural charming manager as Ranieri. Nobody can really dislike him because he's funny, self deprecating and above all does not moan - unlike nearly every other football manager!!!!
Soggypitch
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Greatest shock in the history of sport....?

Nah.
You need to look at the odds. Bookmakers will tell you they've never seen a 5,000-1 outsider win a league. Most of the examples are one-offs which we all get... Douglas v Tyson, etc.

Forest's achievements were legendary but they weren't anything near 5,000-1. Provincial club but people forget they had the cash to sign the first-ever million pound player. Not exactly strapped.

It is unprecedented and right here in our own city. :smt002
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I agree Mr P but what about Dettori's famous 7 winners on the bounce, what were the odds on that?
Soggypitch
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

Soggypitch wrote:I agree Mr P but what about Dettori's famous 7 winners on the bounce, what were the odds on that?
Quick google search suggests it was just over 25,000-1 but of course that was an accumulator and not a one off event!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Looking back over the last year at Leicester City, what stands out for me are the owners. They were not prepared to go against their principle of respect when the hotel incident occurred. No knee jerk reaction, but took everything into account and released Nigel Pearson from his contract, which shocked many people, as this was the guy who had 'saved' the club from relegation.

they also respect our traditions, the Thai culture is one built on a principle of of you don#t believe it at least respect it, they are devout Buddhists and regularly have the ground and player blessed by a Buddhist priest. Mr Pearson lost his job in part as he wanted to stand by his son, you can respect that principle, and equally understand the clubs decision.

they spend £10k a game on the clap banners, give travelling fans food vouchers, free breakfasts or discounted travel on the really long or midweek journey's they also turned over £100m in debt owed to them into equity in the club (more shares basically) effectively writing off the debt, I cannot praise the Srivaddhanaprabha family and CEO Susan Whelan highly enough.

The infrastructure they have put in place behind the scenes at the training ground, including medical facilities are second to none, so much so that teams from other sports go there to see what they can learn from the medical and sports science team.
Last edited by Jimmy Skitz on Wed May 04, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeeJay
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BeeJay »

MrPartridge wrote:Provincial club but people forget they had the cash to sign the first-ever million pound player.
If you're referring to Trevor Francis, Brian Clough always claimed he paid £999,999 as he did not want to burden one of his team with the 'first £1m player' tag.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Roly

is Roly a retired poodle from Eastenders?

Very poor attempt.

No doubt works well when watched.

Must try harder. 5 out of 10.
Nah, I'd say a 4-6.
Cheery chappy
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Iain wrote:It's the greatest shock in the history of sport. I'm trying to think of something that tops it but I can't.
I reckon England being beaten by USA 1-0 in the 1950 World Cup comes close, but that's it.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

DickyP wrote:
Iain wrote:It's the greatest shock in the history of sport. I'm trying to think of something that tops it but I can't.
I reckon England being beaten by USA 1-0 in the 1950 World Cup comes close, but that's it.
A great achievement it certainly is. The greatest shock in the history of sport it most certainly isn't.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Roly wrote:
DickyP wrote:
A great achievement it certainly is. The greatest shock in the history of sport it most certainly isn't.
So what is?