They've only gone and done it!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: They've only gone and done it!

Post by h's dad »

Roly wrote:
h's dad wrote:
Roly wrote:<<quote="Grimlish">>You're changing the goal posts Roly. Leicester City beating Manchester City is of the order of the Germany Vs Brazil result, and a one off. And it happened.

A sustained and winning campaign full of such results by a previous under-dog operating on a tiny fraction of the budget of the established teams is glorious, simple as. It requires no comparison to know it to be a phenomenal achievement. Far from being hyped I think its (mostly) getting proper and just recognition. If you cannot simply acknowledge the scale of the achievement then I wonder why you would ever follow any sport any where.<</quote>>

Not really..

At the end of 2008, the Honda F1 team decided to withdraw from the championship blaming the global financial crisis. Honda had taken over the old BAR team in 2006, and their results had been mediocre at best - no wins scored and very few points.

In December 2008, the team director Ross Brawn bought the team from Honda and announced plans to continue with Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello as drivers. The Brawn, Williams and Toyota teams had found a hole in the design regulations that allowed them to use the rear-facing crash structure to generate additional down force. This was quickly named the "double diffuser" and protested unsuccessfully by the other teams.

Positive results during pre-season testing attracted media attention, but reigning champion Lewis Hamilton in his McLaren and the Ferrari drivers were expected to dominate despite mixed results in testing.

At the first race of the season, Brawn proved their testing results were no fluke, taking a 1-2 result. For the first half of the season, the Brawn cars dominated but after the midway point the other teams began to catch up, with Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren winning races.

Still, Jenson Button in his Brawn managed to continue to gain enough points to win the championship with one race remaining. His team mate Barrichello finished the championship in third.

It was the first time any team had ever won the F1 championship in its début season.

Now, it wasn't a shock, but it was a great achievement and I fail to believe that anyone reading this can't draw parallels between the 2009 F1 season and City's league win this year.

I'm wasn't shocked by either to be honest.
So, as a gambling man, presumably you had money on both? (I'm assuming that for 2009 F1 to be a parallel achievement to LCFC 2016 it must have had similar odds)
No I didn't, but odds are irrelevant because they're only as good as the number of people actually betting, and the bookmaker's perception of potential loss/gain.
I’m not a gambling man but if I saw odds of 5,000 to 1 on something that wouldn’t surprise me if it came off I’d be very tempted to put a couple of quid on. For somebody who likes a flutter and keeps an eye on the odds to say it coming off didn’t surprise him but didn’t have anything on it is, to say the least, bull.

The odds aren't irrelevant when they are offered by the bookies. Do you mean it didn't come as a shock to you when you realised it might happen, about three games from the end of the season when the bookies odds weren't quite as good?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

"For somebody who likes a flutter and keeps an eye on the odds to say it coming off didn’t surprise him but didn’t have anything on it is, to say the least, bull."

Firstly, I don't like a flutter, I don't gamble generally, and if you'd provide me of evidence to the contrary, i'll apologise for misleading you.

Secondly, I don't like football, don't follow it to any real depth, and despite the outrageous odds, I was never tempted to bet on this particular scenario. Well done to anyone who had faith enough to take those odds in the first place.

Thirdly, I said it didn't shock me, not that it didn't surprise me. Again, if you'd provide me of evidence to the contrary, i'll apologise for misleading you.

"Do you mean it didn't come as a shock to you when you realised it might happen, about three games from the end of the season when the bookies odds weren't quite as good?"

No, in fact the closer to the end it got, the less shocked I was actually....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Roly wrote:"For somebody who likes a flutter and keeps an eye on the odds to say it coming off didn’t surprise him but didn’t have anything on it is, to say the least, bull."

Firstly, I don't like a flutter, I don't gamble generally, and if you'd provide me of evidence to the contrary, i'll apologise for misleading you.

Secondly, I don't like football, don't follow it to any real depth, and despite the outrageous odds, I was never tempted to bet on this particular scenario. Well done to anyone who had faith enough to take those odds in the first place.

Thirdly, I said it didn't shock me, not that it didn't surprise me. Again, if you'd provide me of evidence to the contrary, i'll apologise for misleading you.

"Do you mean it didn't come as a shock to you when you realised it might happen, about three games from the end of the season when the bookies odds weren't quite as good?"

You have offered to take wagers at particular odds on here. I apologise if I read too much into your comments. You’ll also have to forgive me for thinking you have an interest in football when you refer to Ipswich in 1962 – you may not even be talking about soccer but the name Alf Ramsey does ring a bell. It is a little tricky to follow you sometimes when the rest of the forum is discussing an unlikely event as a shock, an upset or a surprise and you are playing with semantics, something I suggested previously when there seemed to be some confusion about your statements and you have now been good enough to confirm – unless you haven’t.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

h's dad wrote:
Roly wrote:"For somebody who likes a flutter and keeps an eye on the odds to say it coming off didn’t surprise him but didn’t have anything on it is, to say the least, bull."

You have offered to take wagers at particular odds on here. I apologise if I read too much into your comments. You’ll also have to forgive me for thinking you have an interest in football when you refer to Ipswich in 1962 – you may not even be talking about soccer but the name Alf Ramsey does ring a bell. It is a little tricky to follow you sometimes when the rest of the forum is discussing an unlikely event as a shock, an upset or a surprise and you are playing with semantics, something I suggested previously when there seemed to be some confusion about your statements and you have now been good enough to confirm – unless you haven’t.

But I thought everybody was familiar with Ipswich town's glorious achievement of 1962, what with it being the greatest shock in sporting history and all.... :smt002
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.