They've only gone and done it!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: They've only gone and done it!

Post by Sajerj »

Germany beating Brazil 7-1 in their home World Cup semi final in 2014.

I think i read only eight people in the world backed the result at somewhere up to 2500-1. I think Betfair had only 1 bet on it at 1000-1.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Sajerj wrote:Germany beating Brazil 7-1 in their home World Cup semi final in 2014.

I think i read only eight people in the world backed the result at somewhere up to 2500-1. I think Betfair had only 1 bet on it at 1000-1.
A one off game in a tournament where Germany were superb and Brazil had got to the semi finals despite being utterly awful. It was a shock to see the level of destruction but a bigger shock than Leicester going through the whole season and finishing top with two games to go? Not for me, not even close.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:
Sajerj wrote:Germany beating Brazil 7-1 in their home World Cup semi final in 2014.

A one off game in a tournament where Germany were superb and Brazil had got to the semi finals despite being utterly awful. It was a shock to see the level of destruction but a bigger shock than Leicester going through the whole season and finishing top with two games to go? Not for me, not even close.
Actually, the fact that Leicester City won over the course of a long season makes it even less of a shock (by definition). One off results where an underdog beats a superior opponent are shocks. A team winning a title whilst relatively under-resourced over a season is a great sporting achievement.

A surprise, but not a shock. The fact that the media have deigned to hype it beyond belief and that people actually believe it, is disappointing.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:

Okay, just off the top of my head I can think of the 2009 Formula 1 Championship and Constructors Championship won by the Brawn GP team...

Not a one off...
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

You're changing the goal posts Roly. Leicester City beating Manchester City is of the order of the Germany Vs Brazil result, and a one off. And it happened.

A sustained and winning campaign full of such results by a previous under-dog operating on a tiny fraction of the budget of the established teams is glorious, simple as. It requires no comparison to know it to be a phenomenal achievement. Far from being hyped I think its (mostly) getting proper and just recognition. If you cannot simply acknowledge the scale of the achievement then I wonder why you would ever follow any sport any where.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Grimlish wrote:You're changing the goal posts Roly. Leicester City beating Manchester City is of the order of the Germany Vs Brazil result, and a one off. And it happened.

A sustained and winning campaign full of such results by a previous under-dog operating on a tiny fraction of the budget of the established teams is glorious, simple as. It requires no comparison to know it to be a phenomenal achievement. Far from being hyped I think its (mostly) getting proper and just recognition. If you cannot simply acknowledge the scale of the achievement then I wonder why you would ever follow any sport any where.
Perhaps Roly is relying on a strict definition of shock when upset might be a better word - he does like his definitions. On the other hand he might be wrong. Could go either way.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

A surprise, but not a shock. The fact that the media have deigned to hype it beyond belief and that people actually believe it, is disappointing
That's very sad to put it that way!
This title win for Leicester City has been achieved quite differently to any other in recent memory.
For a generation of kids it is something new!
It's not a shock because it has been coming but it is a surprise to witness it be realised.
It's recent memory that counts here, it has been a very long time since anything like this happened.
Modern sport in particular in leagues have become all about business and money, in all honesty it's become a bit dreary and the romantic element of sport has been lost amongst the big business.
We have had international shocks in sport such as Greece in Euro 2004 but that is not as globally marketed as the Premier League and is not something kids here would really hear much about, it was 12 years ago, nothing has really happened on that level since.
City haven't spent a huge amount of money and have shown some real class all round in accepting everything that has come their way.
They look after supporters and have helped change peoples mentality not just in football but sport in general.
Seeing rival Everton fans give up their tickets for this weeks game so that City fans can be there for the occasion is an example of the feel good factor and goodwill it has generated.
It's shown that nice can win and I can't ever remember anything like that since I was born!
Cheery chappy
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Grimlish wrote:You're changing the goal posts Roly. Leicester City beating Manchester City is of the order of the Germany Vs Brazil result, and a one off. And it happened.

Not really..

At the end of 2008, the Honda F1 team decided to withdraw from the championship blaming the global financial crisis. Honda had taken over the old BAR team in 2006, and their results had been mediocre at best - no wins scored and very few points.

In December 2008, the team director Ross Brawn bought the team from Honda and announced plans to continue with Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello as drivers. The Brawn, Williams and Toyota teams had found a hole in the design regulations that allowed them to use the rear-facing crash structure to generate additional down force. This was quickly named the "double diffuser" and protested unsuccessfully by the other teams.

Positive results during pre-season testing attracted media attention, but reigning champion Lewis Hamilton in his McLaren and the Ferrari drivers were expected to dominate despite mixed results in testing.

At the first race of the season, Brawn proved their testing results were no fluke, taking a 1-2 result. For the first half of the season, the Brawn cars dominated but after the midway point the other teams began to catch up, with Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren winning races.

Still, Jenson Button in his Brawn managed to continue to gain enough points to win the championship with one race remaining. His team mate Barrichello finished the championship in third.

It was the first time any team had ever won the F1 championship in its début season.

Now, it wasn't a shock, but it was a great achievement and I fail to believe that anyone reading this can't draw parallels between the 2009 F1 season and City's league win this year.

I'm wasn't shocked by either to be honest.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Roly - you are missing my point. Could that be deliberate?

Leicester City's achievement is beyond comparison. That doesnt knock Brawn. But sometimes its simply enough to say "This is glorious" and "Let's celebrate it". To try to compare such things only diminishes those who make the comparison, and does nothing to enhance those who are compared.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Grimlish wrote:Roly - you are missing my point. Could that be deliberate?

Leicester City's achievement is beyond comparison. That doesnt knock Brawn. But sometimes its simply enough to say "This is glorious" and "Let's celebrate it". To try to compare such things only diminishes those who make the comparison, and does nothing to enhance those who are compared.
It isn't i'm afraid.

I haven't said it wasn't a great sporting achievement, it is, and I have (although I wouldn't expect some of the Cyclops on here to acknowledge the fact). What I have said though, is what it most certainly isn't, is Sports' greatest shock ever....

As far as great sporting achievements go, there have been many. If you were from the USA, for example, City's achievement wouldn't raise many eyebrows (although it has been acknowledged) - the USA beating the USSR at ice hockey in 1980 or the Red Sox coming back from 0-3 to beat the Yankees in 2003 might do. Its all about context (which I've also said).

For me, Ipswich's achievements of the past are every bit as impressive, and solid parallels can be drawn.

Its all about perspective ....
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I take it all back. G was a ray of sunshine.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Roly wrote:

Not really..

At the end of 2008, the Honda F1 team decided to withdraw from the championship blaming the global financial crisis. Honda had taken over the old BAR team in 2006, and their results had been mediocre at best - no wins scored and very few points.

In December 2008, the team director Ross Brawn bought the team from Honda and announced plans to continue with Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello as drivers. The Brawn, Williams and Toyota teams had found a hole in the design regulations that allowed them to use the rear-facing crash structure to generate additional down force. This was quickly named the "double diffuser" and protested unsuccessfully by the other teams.

Positive results during pre-season testing attracted media attention, but reigning champion Lewis Hamilton in his McLaren and the Ferrari drivers were expected to dominate despite mixed results in testing.

At the first race of the season, Brawn proved their testing results were no fluke, taking a 1-2 result. For the first half of the season, the Brawn cars dominated but after the midway point the other teams began to catch up, with Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren winning races.

Still, Jenson Button in his Brawn managed to continue to gain enough points to win the championship with one race remaining. His team mate Barrichello finished the championship in third.

It was the first time any team had ever won the F1 championship in its début season.

Now, it wasn't a shock, but it was a great achievement and I fail to believe that anyone reading this can't draw parallels between the 2009 F1 season and City's league win this year.

So, as a gambling man, presumably you had money on both? (I'm assuming that for 2009 F1 to be a parallel achievement to LCFC 2016 it must have had similar odds)
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

You carry on choosing to miss the point Roly since it pleases you so and since you seem unable to deal with it. In my view that diminishes you too. I'm out.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

h's dad wrote:
Roly wrote:

Not really..

So, as a gambling man, presumably you had money on both? (I'm assuming that for 2009 F1 to be a parallel achievement to LCFC 2016 it must have had similar odds)
No I didn't, but odds are irrelevant because they're only as good as the number of people actually betting, and the bookmaker's perception of potential loss/gain.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Grimlish wrote:You carry on choosing to miss the point Roly since it pleases you so and since you seem unable to deal with it. In my view that diminishes you too. I'm out.
No, I don't think so.

Maybe it's you who's missed the point?