BREXIT implications

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

BREXIT implications

Post by loretta »

Article on the Beeb about the effect of leaving EU on wendyball.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35919247

TBH, I hadn't considered any fallout on Rugby before, but what if work permits (i.e. previous international representation) became required for European Rugby players? Who would we lose, or possibly never have had?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: BREXIT implications

Post by drc_007 »

I suspect it would only effect players from France and Italy.

There are already separate arrangements for players from NZ, Aus, SA etc.

Seems like it should be a relatively minor fix.
BeeJay
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BeeJay »

drc_007 wrote:I suspect it would only effect players from France and Italy.
Don't forget Romania.
drc_007 wrote:There are already separate arrangements for players from NZ, Aus, SA etc. Seems like it should be a relatively minor fix.
What about Marcos? He currently qualifies as EU due to having a Spanish wife: would he have to re-qualify as an Argentinean national? However, I guess he'll be long retired before it's all sorted out.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The only issues IMO would be those controlled already by the UK government as pretty well everything else can be adjusted by the governors of the game (e.g. PRL for the AP). Work permits indeed may be an issue, but which way the UK would go in the event of Brexit is unpredictable - although I suspect there would be a clampdown under the new government of Johnson, Patel, IDS etc.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Might also have difficulty with European fixtures - permission to work in UK might not apply to EU, so Kiwis, Saffers etc who are ok in the premiership might not be able to travel for games in France.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Presumably, the AP would have to re-consider this.

"A maximum of two foreign players can now be on the pitch at any one time, at all periods during the season."

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/premier ... xkbKC4i.97
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

jgriffin wrote:Work permits indeed may be an issue, but which way the UK would go in the event of Brexit is unpredictable - although I suspect there would be a clampdown under the new government of Johnson, Patel, IDS etc.
Well done JG, that just sent a shiver down my spine - until I realised that they wouldn'd do anything unless told to do so by President Trump. Now there's a dream team...... :smt023
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Brexit would be a total disaster for the country both economically and culturally, it's implications for rugby? Well it's too soon to speculate on that and personally I don't think it would make much difference, even on player movement. Let's hope the electorate keeps it's common sense and votes to stay in on the 23rd of June.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Disagree Noddy - Brexit is a chance to get our Country back - to make our own laws again and not be ruled by non elected officials in Brussels . The 'In' camp must be worried if they are reduced to scaremongering about an exodus of over paid foreign footballers .
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Somebody opened the door to a Brexit thread!
If you look at the EU as a company it would be bankrupt and redundant. Where else can you get away without having the company accounts signed off annually. Tigers certainly couldn't!
The article is another scaremongering tactic! This COULD happen, that COULD happen! Do not be taken in, Tigers COULD still win.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I thought that this forum would be spared this matter :smt010 How wrong I was :smt013
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BeeJay
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BeeJay »

Time to move it to the Chit Chat forum methinks.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sapajo wrote:I thought that this forum would be spared this matter :smt010 How wrong I was :smt013
I did try to keep it on the implications for rugby (relatively few IMO). We all have our 'views' best aired on the Chat Forum (though not mine).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Would the Kolpak agreements be revised too?

From a purely sporting standpoint the introduction of restrictions on non-EU might mean a few more English qualified players getting game time at higher levels. A few top level internationals is one thing but too many players from overseas are keeping our youngsters out of Premiership and championship sides and does nothing to encourage clubs to have strong academies and to give those players opportunities. Rugby isn't unique in this respect - county cricket has too many ordinary non English players.

It's easier and cheaper to import an experienced club player from the Southern Hemisphere than to find and develop one of your own - no wastage on injuries and no competition from other careers. Is that fair on the countries they are poached from?
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

BeeJay wrote:Time to move it to the Chit Chat forum methinks.
+1
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man