shall I join freemasons?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

billymclaren
Tiger Cub

shall I join freemasons?

Post by billymclaren »

few chaps offered me to attend their lodge last week....I cant decide whether to go?

Im in business and employ around 20 people, I do believe in a God and I do believe in Christianity , although Im hardly a regular at the Church.

I don't necessarily want to join to gain more business but is it a good avenue to open doors meet new people join a club and interesting events etc?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: shall I join freemasons?

Post by Iain »

Having seen your ideas for restructuring the English rugby season I'd be tempted to say you should be kept away from any more power or influence :smt023
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Having seen your ideas for restructuring the English rugby season I'd be tempted to say you should be kept away from any more power or influence
His idea was no more stupid than your idea to place Farrell Snr in charge of England for the Six Nations.
Cheery chappy
billymclaren
Tiger Cub

Post by billymclaren »

so shall I join? whats the plusses and minuses?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

How do you feel about helping the disadvantaged and needy? Are you prepared to give your time to fundraise? Are you prepared to give?

If you haven't asked yourself these questions and answered in the affirmative, you shouldn't join the Freemasons, Lions or any other organisation. They are not about what they do for you, which seems to be the view you have taken.

I think you would be better off building business relationships on LinkedIn, joining the Chamber of Commerce, attending their Business Breakfasts and networking events. These are far more likely to help your business.
Valhalla I am coming!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Having seen your ideas for restructuring the English rugby season I'd be tempted to say you should be kept away from any more power or influence
His idea was no more stupid than your idea to place Farrell Snr in charge of England for the Six Nations.
Hey woah hang on!!

It's not my idea to do that - I really do hope he doesn't!! But I would rather that if it means we have to wait for the right coach to be available, since this season's Six Nations is a virtual write off anyway.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

The very fact that you are asking advice on a forum indicates that you are not sufficiently in tune with Masonic Values.
Still keeping the faith!
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

What on earth has this got to do with Tigers? The prospective Mason member should read some of the inside story style books on this "secret" organisation - then decide for himself.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

This is the off-topic forum. Just in case the drivel people post on the forum about rugby is enough, you can read some of their drivel about the outside world too.
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

Its basically a charitable organisation in which you form closer bonds with its members, hence the business links and back scratching.
If you see it as giving up your time to give some support charity albeit indirectly or financially (how ever much you want to give) then that is it. There is a portion of ceremony that is followed, then a meal and fund raising.

If that's your bag then go for it. The links gained from networking are only as good the time you put in, eg the people at your own lodge. You will meet more people by going to other lodges (more time commitment), thus you may meet more people and contacts. Depends how you are at networking, you're certainly not going to get hundreds of people with funny hand shakes buying your product over night. They are only people like yourself, you're not going to stop buying one product to start buying another because a new friend / brother has appeared all of a sudden. Those bonds and relationships take time to develop.

Hence, charitable organisation, anything else is a bonus.