ECHR rules that websites are liable for users' comments

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JohnB

ECHR rules that websites are liable for users' comments

Post by JohnB »

I see that the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) recently ruled that the Estonian news site Delfi may be held responsible for anonymous and allegedly defamatory comments by its readers/users. The decision is a warning to website owners everywhere!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: ECHR rules that websites are liable for users' comments

Post by DickyP »

Surely this is a good thing - long overdue.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

censorship of the internet a good thing :smt009 :smt017

all comments need moderating before being visible, massive overheads for any site offering a forum or discussion area - yes, a great idea :smt030
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:censorship of the internet a good thing :smt009 :smt017

all comments need moderating before being visible, massive overheads for any site offering a forum or discussion area - yes, a great idea :smt030
Isn't it a good thing that people and organisations are obliged to take and share in responsibility for their actions or actions that that they positively allow and encourage? Libel laws clearly need updating for the modern era.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

The publisher of a newspaper or book is legally liable for what each contains. A website is no different. People are still responsible for what they write or post, and so freedom of the Internet is not at risk, if the publisher or website thinks the article ok.

The consideration always has to weigh in the interest of the injured party if there is defamation or damage, and not the interest of the casual troll.

The ruling will cause a headache to many operators of fora, like our own, and I think many will disappear rather than moderate themselves. This will not stop people's ability to express their opinions on the web, as any blogger will tell you.
Valhalla I am coming!