Chris Evans for Top Gear

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Latecomer

Chris Evans for Top Gear

Post by Latecomer »

Oh dear. Would have been a good time to let TG die a dignified death, but now an over-exposed host is being replaced by an even more over-exposed host. And so much for I won't be doing Top Gear, Chris Evans.
Tenax

Re: Chris Evans for Top Gear

Post by Tenax »

Indeed. I didn't watch the last series and struggled with the one before that. IMHO, they had plainly run out of ideas. I won't be watching the reincarnation with Chris Evans.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

So a dire programme somehow managed to get worse!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Actually I'm not all that phased about Chris Evans being the first of the three to be named, if we are having a lady presenter can you make it Susie Perry please and as a bit of a left field let's have a comic L
Sir Lenny Henry perhaps?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

wherever Clarkson, Hammond & May end up will be the real Top Gear to fans like me anyway, I'll give the Evans show a chance but if they try to copy the feel of the previous incarnation it just won't work
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Noddy555 wrote:Actually I'm not all that phased about Chris Evans being the first of the three to be named, if we are having a lady presenter can you make it Susie Perry please and as a bit of a left field let's have a comic L
Sir Lenny Henry perhaps?
I think you mean fazed!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

No Dicky P I mean phased, fazed is an American word and I do so hate the Americanisation of English, having been a teacher of English to ESN students I've lost count of the times Ive had to correct the spelling of tonite to it's proper form tonight.
Tenax

Post by Tenax »

Noddy555 wrote:No Dicky P I mean phased, fazed is an American word and I do so hate the Americanisation of English, having been a teacher of English to ESN students I've lost count of the times Ive had to correct the spelling of tonite to it's proper form tonight.
Do so hate? Also, what is 'Ive'?
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Noddy555 wrote:No Dicky P I mean phased, fazed is an American word and I do so hate the Americanisation of English, having been a teacher of English to ESN students I've lost count of the times Ive had to correct the spelling of tonite to it's proper form tonight.
I too detest unnecessary Americanisms in British English but this isn't one of them! I suggest you go and look at the OED - the words mean completely different things! Phased means to do things in stages, whereas fazed (in the main OED since 1890, although not the COED until the 5th Edition in 1964) means to disturb or disconcert. Yes, 'faze' is a word of (distant) American origin but if you want to avoid it use a meaningful alternative!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tenax wrote:
Do so hate? Also, what is 'Ive'?
I think you know what Noddy has done. He has used all the right apostrophes, just not necessarily in the right order.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game