Peter Capaldi as Dr Who

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Latecomer

Peter Capaldi as Dr Who

Post by Latecomer »

Watched on Saturday and following a great run of Doctors, Eccleston, Tennant and our outside centre/winger Smith, it is a hard act to follow, but felt he was trying too hard to be enigmatic. Hopefully he'll play the part more his way given time.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Peter Capaldi as Dr Who

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Latecomer wrote:Watched on Saturday and following a great run of Doctors, Eccleston, Tennant and our outside centre/winger Smith, it is a hard act to follow, but felt he was trying too hard to be enigmatic. Hopefully he'll play the part more his way given time.
I thought the story was him "settling into" the new incarnation and will settle down from this weeks edition
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Loved the programme: though Capaldi (and the program) were superb - very reminiscent of earlier, more 'mature' doctors. Of course in those days there weren't a lot of same sex, interspecies relationships.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

So, the series has now finished - how do we feel its gone ?

I've not really warmed to Peter Capaldi's Doctor, but then it took me a series to appreciate Matt Smith after the excellent Ecclestone & Tennant years.

Content-wise, I thought the series was poor. Too many episodes failed to have a gripping threat or a convincing storyline. The Master reveal was not a surprise at all - I think Russell T Davies would have been much more subtle and elegant about it. (But then Sherlock - also written by Moffat - similarly lost the elegance of its early plotlines towards the end of its run).

The assistant's role - in particular the love interest thread - has been particularly badly handled imo. totally unconvincing & rushed through to create the "great sacrifice" story arc in the final episode. What a waste of a character.

I hope the christmas special is a good story, or else I fear I may not be back for the next series (although, having watched the show since Tom Baker, I'm guessing I may not be in the target audience sector anymore !!)

Anyone else have a view on how the series has gone ?
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Personally I thought the series was the best one for more than 20 years. Best doctor since Patrick Troughton! Loved having an irascible old man again. However, a mature Dr probably came as a real shock to viewers who've only known the youngsters.

Liked both Capaldi and Jenna Coleman. Liked the plots as they required a bit of thought.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Gave up watching after episode three. I do like Peter Capaldi and the grumpy older doctor but they seemed to be trying to create an attraction between him and Clara which did not work and seemed creepy, and the storylines were weak and unconvincing.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
saltydog

Post by saltydog »

Agree on these replies, romantic interest between Dr and Clara is very unconvincing and creepy BUT I can watch Michelle Gomez all day. A class act!