What is it with young women and mobile phones?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Re: What is it with young women and mobile phones?

Post by Rizzo »

I do find the new flashing lights on cycles to be very distracting when I am driving after dark, sometimes you think it's an emergency vehicle they are so bright and blue-ish as they come up behind you. And yet often the riders still are not wearing anything reflective.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

DickyP wrote:
Old Hob wrote:Last night, in the dark I narrowly avoided a head- down texting young man who had the added advantage of his wearing huge earphones. (I have also seen cyclists on unlit bicycles on unlit roads texting and wearing earphones.)
Actually bikes are another topic which probably irks me even more! I am a cyclist and do three things which set me aside from most other cyclists:

1. I use lights, front and back, after dark.
2. I only cycle on designated cycle paths, otherwise on roads.
3. I stop at traffic lights and pedestrian crossings.

One other thing that sets me apart from the fanatical fringe is that I refuse to wear lycra!!

It is very difficult to get drivers to heed cyclists when virtually without exception cyclists pay no heed to the rules of the road or to others.

In counting cyclists when driving to and from work over a three year period I found consistently that about 85% had no lights whatsoever, 7% had either a front or rear light, and just 8% had front and rear lights. Of course, it may have been worse as without lights I may well have missed other cyclists in the dark.
I applaud you Dicky as a responsible cyclist. There are many of you. Unfortunately there are far too many of that other tribe - the lycra clad, "I am morally superior" brigade who berate train passengers for complaining about having dirty, muddy bicycle wheels wiped on their clothes, shout at train staff who ask them not to block doorways with their machines, and turn off the flashing red light!! (Having a flashing red light on a dark railway platform is a really bad idea)But we all used to know that as children.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
StarbuckTiger

Post by StarbuckTiger »

I do find the new flashing lights on cycles to be very distracting when I am driving after dark
But you notice the cyclist. Far too many motorists are unaware of cyclists after dark.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

StarbuckTiger wrote:
I do find the new flashing lights on cycles to be very distracting when I am driving after dark
But you notice the cyclist. Far too many motorists are unaware of cyclists after dark.
StarbuckTiger's point was, I think, that the flashing lights distract and do not necessarily assist in seeing the cyclist. Certainly when they are cycling on the pavement and they have the blueish tinge they distract. They may well assist in the secondary function of lights - to be seen - but certainly do not do anything for the primary reason for having lights - to see where you are going.

Ah - the good old days - I remember when the reason you had lights on a bike was to see where you were going. Very necessary in the fens when there were no street lights on any roads away from the villages and precious few in them: we had one by the War Memorial and one in the centre by the shop and pub.

Mind you as I pointed out above - the main reason you don't see them at night is because they don't have lights!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
StarbuckTiger

Post by StarbuckTiger »

Whilst I quite agree that FRONT flashing lights used on their own can distract, the idea of a rear flashing light is a far more logical idea as the motorist is more likely to approach a cyclist from behind in close proximity.

I commute on dark country lanes to and from work and as such I have to use a very bright constant front light. This however causes motorists to berate me for having such a bright light. A no win situation!

I certainly do not condone cyclists who ride after dark without lights, the majority are either ignorant or plain stupid. However, I do question the attention of some motorists who seem more intereted in changing CD's, texting and using their phones for other means whilct driving. Yes, it still happens, so get off your high horses about cyclists being the worst offenders!