Single sex golf clubs - what d'ya reckon?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Single sex golf clubs - what d'ya reckon?

Post by BJ. »

There's been a lot of furore in the news recently regarding men-only membership at some golf clubs with both the Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond and the Shadow Deputy Prime Minister Harridan Harperson moaning about them.

According to reports by both the BBC and the Independent newspaper, there are around 30 single-sex membership golf clubs in Britain which is approximately 1% of the total number. Of these 30-ish clubs, about half of them are women-only clubs. So, as you can see, politicians are yet again being selective with the facts in order to suit their argument.

I don't play the game but I see no problem with these clubs. It is obviously a choice they have made and they seem happy with it.

As a matter of interest, I've checked the small print and I'm not allowed to join the Women's Institute.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Re: Single sex golf clubs - what d'ya reckon?

Post by Phil B »

I guess that people generally deserve to be confused, considering, for example, that such overt sex discrimination is usually unlawful. However I am in favour of this exception (which applies to associations) and can see nothing wrong in it. Neither sex is being disadvantaged.

Edit: Not disadvantaged in the sense that both are free, in equal measure, to set up a male only or female only association.
Last edited by Phil B on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I don't play golf, but if the two factions of Women's golf clubs and Men's Golf clubs are happy with how it stands, why does some legislation need to be forced on either by a politician who is most likely only doing it to score points and show how politically correct and up to the minute they are....

As regards the WI - as far as I understand it, men can attend the courses at the head office and take part in many of the campaigns, events and activities, but they cannot join and become a Member.

Are there also not Clubs in London which are still Men only? i.e. women can go as guests or attend events but only men can become members.

I do count myself as a feminist up to a point, and I am all for equality in life, but some of these PC insistent politician (mainly) really get my goat.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Rizzo wrote:Are there also not Clubs in London which are still Men only? i.e. women can go as guests or attend events but only men can become members.
Indeed Rizzo. There are also women-only clubs as well.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

I used to be a member of a women only gym. Can't see the difference between that and a men only golf club. I'd definitely count myself as a feminist and I'm not bothered about men only or women only sports clubs.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I had you down as CJ from the rise and fall of Reginald Perrin. Ah well........
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

CJ's membership of a female only gym seems wholly reasonable. People are in a state of undress and in an aroused state which can lead some people to the wrong conclusion and the right cell block. She wants to feel safe and relaxed. However, do clubs where no such threat exists have a similar right? How can I assess your fear (male or female)and why is it that in an age where homosexuality is legal is the only predatory threat seen as coming from the opposite sex?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

If single sex organizations in sport are so bad why do we have women's professional competitions in cricket, football, tennis and rugby and why aren't women playing against the men in those sports: surprised we haven't got sex quotas in them by now!. Hypocrisy pure and simple.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

DickyP wrote:If single sex organizations in sport are so bad why do we have women's professional competitions in cricket, football, tennis and rugby and why aren't women playing against the men in those sports: surprised we haven't got sex quotas in them by now!. Hypocrisy pure and simple.
Along a similar line, can someone explain to me why the forthcoming series of women's cricket matches between England and Australia are referred to as the 'Ashes Test' (see here)? They're only playing one Test match (it's not even a 5-day match either!) and following it with three ODIs and three T20s.

There is only one trophy called The Ashes and that is only competed for by the senior men's cricket teams from England and Australia.
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

That's just typical journalists being thick and thinking Aus = ashes isn't it? It can't be the women's fault? I don't think anything should be segregated by sex, apart from perhaps public toilets because, to be frank, your's pong. And maybe hospital wards. Oh, and prisons. Ok lots of stuff. But anything with "women's " in front of it normally puts me right off joining it, and I would hope "men's " would put most men off joining too. It's weird to want to be segregated, I think. Vive la similarité
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

cornish tigress wrote:That's just typical journalists being thick and thinking Aus = ashes isn't it?
'Fraid not. The ECB are advertising it as such (see ECB website).
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Huh! And I bet the ECB is mainly men. V strange. Don't agree with that, it's not the ashes, it hasn't that history.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree with B.J there is nothing wrong with men only clubs or women only clubs, membership of either is a matter of choice and nothing to do with politicians. In fact the world would be a much better place if politicians kept there noses out of important matters like health, education and sport.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Although clubs slightly shorter (typically an inch) than standard clubs are generally known as women’s clubs I believe there is no prohibition on either sex using either type of club. Indeed there is no specific industry standard and manufacturers can make to whatever specifications they deem appropriate. Many club shops and other bodies will now provide custom length clubs to individual requirements. Interestingly the typical length of a driver has grown by some two inches or more since the late 1970’s.

Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick :smt003
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

h's dad, if you are holding the wrong end of the stick your ball will be very hard to hit and will not travel very far. Personally I object to the ladies tees being in advance of the men's, this is because a bad driver shot at Humberstone Heights kept low, hit the block that marked the ladies tee, rebounded, hit me a glancing blow and finished up twenty yards behind me.