Rugby player chases Scum- Bag -Snatcher

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rugby player chases Scum- Bag -Snatcher

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/c ... by-3864076

A handbag snatcher came unstuck when he was spotted making his getaway by super-fit professional rugby player Scott Wright.

He jumped out of his car and gave chase – forcing the thief to throw down the bag before disappearing down an alleyway.

“The bag’s contents were scattered over the road, so I stopped running to pick them up,” said Scott. “I was shouting at him and was close on his heels when he discarded the bag and ran off.

“It’s a good job for his sake that I didn’t catch him.”

Scott, a 24-year-old Nottingham first-team hooker, was driving along Newtown Road in Nuneaton when he saw a suspicious-looking teenager walking quickly, with something clutched to his chest.

“He had a hood over his face and an elderly man suddenly came hurrying up the pavement screaming for him to be apprehended. The youth then darted across the road and I could see handbag swinging from his hand,” said Scott. “I just reacted, abandoning my car with the engine still running, to sprint after him.

"He dashed across the Halfords car park and along Corporation Street. That was where he slung the bag to the ground, before making off through a jitty into Abbey Street.”

Scott halted his chase to retrieve the contents of the black leather bag.

He said: “There was a purse, quite a bit of money, a few credit cards and a mobile phone. The man who had been following the thief said he had seen the bag snatched off a woman further down Newtown Road. In the meantime, someone had parked my car for me, so I went in search of the owner of the bag.

“She was standing near the entrance to the Asda car park. She was probably aged in her 60s and was all shook up. There were a few people comforting her, so I just handed over the bag. This must have been an upsetting experience for her, and I hope she is OK.”

Scott used to play for Nuneaton and his “have a go” response was witnessed by a club supporter.

“Me and my husband were in a traffic queue in Newtown Road and recognised Scott when we saw him suddenly leap out of his car and run after someone,” said Elaine Sutton. “In no time he came walking back, carrying a handbag, so we guessed what had happened. We then saw him handing the bag back to this lady, which I thought was really touching.”

Scott, a former St Thomas More student who lives in Hinckley Road, said: “I don’t consider myself a hero. But this sort of thing is just not nice. Anyone who would steal a handbag off an elderly woman must have something seriously wrong in their head, or be very desperate.”
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Rugby player chases Scum- Bag -Snatcher

Post by hww27 »

Ahh Scotty is a top bloke :) he follows me on Twitter and he's loving all the praise he's getting for it, and rightly so :) Notts have just released him which is a shame really, not surprised he's done something like this cos he's a really nice guy.
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)