Police praise fans - only 6 arrested!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Police praise fans - only 6 arrested!

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

fleabane wrote:What makes you (erroniously) think you are the only person who regularly goes to football matches?
I very much doubt anyone else on here is a season ticket holder at a Football League Club or above, below that the way the games are policed is unrecognisable, Leicester City for example have to pay the Police to be there, the police categorise the games and the bigger the "risk" the more they charge. Funny thing is the more arrests made, the more they charge for the same game the following year, baring in mind they don't just count arrests which lead to convictions of any kind which the VAST majority, by a huge margin, don't and I've seen people arrested for Telling their best mate, who they were laughing and joking with to F off in a non aggressive way, or someone that doesn't drink but had beer spilled on him arrested for arguing that he wasn't drunk but the police decided he was just because they could smell it.

The point I have made several times is the Police are extremely proactive, bordering on downright aggressive in nature towards football fans when there really isn't any need to be, the people that want the fights are not going to games now as they are too likely to get arrested, so they (the police) need to change their approach to reflect this but won't because that would mean they have to bill Football Clubs less.
Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
Jimmy Skitz wrote: As an aside I suspect that a large amount of Rugby fans would be refused entry to the ground at a football game for turning up having already had a skinfull before hand
Surely that serves to prove the point about the difference between football and rugby fans; there's little need to be wary of a group of rugby fans that have had a drink. The same, evidently, can't be said of football fans.
I've met several bar owners in town that would disagree, saying the behaviour of Tigers fans post match is far more disruptive to their clientèle then Football fans.

And I'll say it again if you confront someone in an aggressive way then you can't be too surprised if the react in the same way..

The point, I say again, is, English football has pretty much cleaned up, Fans clubs and society don't tolerate the :censored: any more, If the police acted in a more friendly manner instead of sending in the riot squad for no reason, there would be hardly any tension.

I myself remember leave Forest away the last year absolutely fuming with the way the game ended met by taunting by forest fans (at which we just laughed and told them to try again in English), mostly kids that watched too much Green Street and Football Factory, who were promptly told to shut up by their own fans walking happily to the train station talking to Forest fans on their way back to cars.

If there is going to be trouble at a Leicester game that is the perfect storm of events and nothing happened.

Only issue was some poor lad kept getting bumped into the toiled door button on train (it was standing room only) and Police piled in to arrest him for no reason what so ever, until his senior officer came over and told him to pack it in and let the lad go.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: I've met several bar owners in town that would disagree, saying the behaviour of Tigers fans post match is far more disruptive to their clientèle then Football fans.
I'm not sure I understand your point here; you're talking about post match and away from the grounds. As for 'disruptive to their clientèle', what do you mean? I bet you'd get very few pubs post-football match where drunk football fans could enjoy the company of opposing fans.
Jimmy Skitz wrote:The point, I say again, is, English football has pretty much cleaned up, Fans clubs and society don't tolerate the :censored: any more, If the police acted in a more friendly manner instead of sending in the riot squad for no reason, there would be hardly any tension.
As for this point:

Racist chanting/behaviour
Homophobic chanting
Death threats to referees
Segregated transport to grounds (in addition to fan segregation in stadiums)
Tribal behaviour in and out of the ground
Offensive/aggressive gesturing at opposition fans
Unadulterated anger and abuse when a decision doesn't go your way

Care to qualify 'pretty much cleaned up'?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Racist chanting/behaviour
Homophobic chanting
Death threats to referees
Segregated transport to grounds (in addition to fan segregation in stadiums)
Tribal behaviour in and out of the ground
Offensive/aggressive gesturing at opposition fans
Unadulterated anger and abuse when a decision doesn't go your way

Care to qualify 'pretty much cleaned up'?
I will go through them 1 by 1 and can only speak for Leicester City games as I wouldn't know about other clubs.

1) there is a text number for fans to report racist chanting to the club in confidence or they can go to stewards, the club actively encourage this but unless people report it what can they do? Also only racist chanting I personally hear at games is being directed at Leicester.

2) as above really can't say I personally see or hear any, except for sadly when Brighton play, I read reports about it from their last game but saw no one say they actually heard it or saw it.

3) I have heard refs called all sorts of things and people question their parentage but never seen a death threat to 1 involving my club this tends to be something more common in Europe or with Chelsea (several years ago)

4) Transport isn't segregated, I was on a train back to Leicester with fans of other teams when ever I use them, though I tend to use the clubs coach service for cost reasons. Yes fans are segregated in the ground this has always been in place during my life time (I'm 26) so I have no idea when it 1st started, I know the visiting coaches are lined up on the North East corner for away fans at the KP but his is in part logistical.

Can't remember which club it was but a League 2 (I think_) had an unsegregated game and had no issues what so ever.

5) I', not sure what you mean by tribal but football has always been this way dating back to when it was my village vs your village, I suspect this is a carry over.

6) No one I know takes any notice of gestures made at games and the chants can often be very funny and make you laugh rather then angry and almost all are generally in support of their own side rather then directed at other fans/teams.

7) Probably most guilty of this 1 myself though I do at least try to see the opposing view point and all you hear would a quick expletive and then people questioning the refs competence before suggesting he likes to pleasure himself, hardly qualifies as "adulterated" abuse and anger
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

I've taken my wife to Tigers matches several times, at Welford Road, Bath and Twickenham. She thoroughly enjoyed the games. A big factor for her was the behaviour of the fans which she described as cultured and good humoured. I took her to a Leicester City home match and she hated the experience. She couldn't understand why people indulged in obscene chanting, verbally threatened violence to fans of the visiting team, why adults and children used obscene language, why people displayed absolute hatred. She summed it up by describing football fans as barbarians. I couldn't argue with that.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:I will go through them 1 by 1 and can only speak for Leicester City games as I wouldn't know about other clubs.
It would appear Zdzislaw can only speak for Leicester City as well.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

It says a lot about the behaviour of football fans when you defend them on the basis of your experiences with one club . . . and then proceed to give numerous examples of other clubs' fans engaging in abusive behaviour!
paddysdad

Post by paddysdad »

My points were the rubbish that the police have to handle is lost on moron football fans. you use the words chants, questioning fatherhood, winding up blah blah blah. We go to watch the game and give credit to the other side if they are better on the day.
Chants and being amused or not by them are alien to us.
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

BJ. wrote:
Jimmy Skitz wrote:I will go through them 1 by 1 and can only speak for Leicester City games as I wouldn't know about other clubs.
It would appear Zdzislaw can only speak for Leicester City as well.
I related my wife's experience because she, never having been to a football match before, was a wholly objective observer. My own experience of fans of many clubs is that a majority indulge in offensive and threatening behaviour. It's why I stopped going to games (apart from the one I took my wife to) many years ago. One only has to see on broadcast games the hatred and vitriol fans display to come to a view that little has changed apart from a massive improvement in stadiums.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Could the mods please advise how many posts on this thread have been modified or deleted because they have been deemed offensive? I think the request is germane to the subject. Thank you.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I personally have not deleted any posts from this thread. I can't honestly say off hand if anyone else has deleted or edited posts, I can only see one which seems to have been edited or else the swear filter has picked up. In such cases the user would be advised by PM that the offensive language etc isn't acceptable and asked to refrain from posting such in future.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Thanks Rizzo. I just noticed that at least one post had been rather toned down from its original content and bearing in mind the topic it amused me.

Apart from stirring I can’t really contribute much as at the last match I went to Leicester City were in the top flight.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
paddysdad

Post by paddysdad »

When I was here before I took some dreadful stuff but now it would appear the the word thicko is not acceptable.
Insulting post to a whole profession 0. one word 1. simples.