Fed up with the petty squabbling

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Fed up with the petty squabbling

Post by jgriffin »

Please read my post on the 'mental attitude' thread. I think it is relevant to both topics.
:smt024
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
hanljohnson
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by hanljohnson »

I have been a member of this forum for many years, and I check it most days, but I rarely contribute.
The reasons for this are the sarcastic, rude and know-it-all responses I have had in the past.
(When I posted that I had heard Lewis Moody was going to leave Tigers, I got firmly told that I needed to give him and players like Sam Vesty far more credit and I was wrong to question their loyalty and start such a thread!- hmmmmm!)

There are some members on this forum who contribute daily and on most threads. The majority of them are pleasant and willing to listen to others. Some are not and think that because they have contributed to so many threads, they own the forum.
No-ones opinion is worth more than others on here (moderators excluded!)no matter how much you contribute, how long you have been a Tigers supporter, or your spelling ability.

I always think that the emptiest can rattles the loudest! :smt039
The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Very well put.

Particularly the middle paragraph.

Lets stop making excuses that the world is like that.

We love Rugby partly because of the ethos compared to other more popular sports and read this forum because it is better than others.

Beware the slippery slope!
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

I think enough has been said on this thread and this forum should return to the informative and witty banter that it was until only recently.

Otherwise it gets very boring to read.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

chappie wrote:As I said on another thread, this is a forum about rugby and not an English school, why do people find the need to belittle us on here about our spelling or grammar ?
I will always stand up for myself and refuse to be bullied on here, it's always the same people that taunt others that are not ok with spelling and grammar, I will not mention their names as we all know who they are!

Sorry for my little rant.
Totally agree Chappie. Wen I was a teecher i was payed to correckt spelling and all of that. Now I am just a participateing add ult how eye spell and how anyone else spells is nun of mae buziness.

I love rugby and tiggers and regard all of yoo lot as simlar and tri to be polight. ain't no reason not 2.

pee ess moderators do a great job. Sinbins might be good tool for them at times when fires get too hot and winds bloe too strong.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Furst post youv maid that makes sence to me. :smt023
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Strange how this thread seems to have moved into - "please don't correct spelling" mode.

I might be wrong, but I think that Fleabane's original post was more about the general rudeness,bullying and unpleasantness that has grown on this forum from a select few over the last few months, of which the correcting of spelling is only (IMHO) a very small part.

But I guess it is easier to focus on that part, than for those unnamed to look at their behaviour.

I really think we need to fix than than ignore, but sad to say I don't have the answer, other than giving the Mods free reign to ban users.

I wonder if Fleabane has reconsidered based on the comments made?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

fleabane wrote:Thanks sapajo,tigerburnie, chappie et alia. Leaving the forum, can't be bothered any more with the slaggings off and just pure rudeness when people are expressing their views.

:smt006
Agreed. I too CBA any more.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

That's a real shame. However I hope you change your mind when you come from behind the settee and feel the need to vent your spleen.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

BJ, You've just proved my whole point!

Johnnyg, Thanx mate, but it patently does matter to some on here who take great pleasure in trying to belittle others by these pathetic jibs.

This forum would be a whole lot better without this & a whole lot more people would return to make it a far better one than it has become.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I would politely ask those who have Pmed me or Tigerbeat, or posted above, to reconsider leaving permanently. For one thing, that gives the small disruptive or rude element a victory of sorts, and for another your contributions WOULD be missed, believe me.

The general feedback we are getting as moderators is that people would like us to be more strict and robust with persisent offenders and to bring in a "sin bin" or sorts.

So, for a trial period, if a user has been asked several times to desist in rudeness or continually hijacking threads for their own personal attacks and agenda, they will receive one warning via PM followed by a week's ban.

Any resumption of attacks or abuse etc will be discussed between the moderators and the club and could result in permanent banning.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Qbec wrote:BJ, You've just proved my whole point!
As I've said before, I derive no pleasure from highlighting errors. I do it in the hope those concerned will learn from it and not make the same mistake again. Unfortunately not everybody sees it in this light and they take my comments personally. There are also those who believe they are always right in whatever they say or do and become aggressive if their errors are pointed out, i.e. the 'What's it got to do with you?' brigade.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Rizzo wrote:I would politely ask those who have Pmed me or Tigerbeat, or posted above, to reconsider leaving permanently. For one thing, that gives the small disruptive or rude element a victory of sorts, and for another your contributions WOULD be missed, believe me.

The general feedback we are getting as moderators is that people would like us to be more strict and robust with persisent offenders and to bring in a "sin bin" or sorts.

So, for a trial period, if a user has been asked several times to desist in rudeness or continually hijacking threads for their own personal attacks and agenda, they will receive one warning via PM followed by a week's ban.

Any resumption of attacks or abuse etc will be discussed between the moderators and the club and could result in permanent banning.
Sad that it should come to this. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

It is, jgriffin. I am hoping it will not be necessary to apply any of the above. If people could live and let live, and be civil and respectful of others, it probably wouldn't even be necessary to think of such things.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

BJ. wrote:
Qbec wrote:BJ, You've just proved my whole point!
As I've said before, I derive no pleasure from highlighting errors. I do it in the hope those concerned will learn from it and not make the same mistake again. Unfortunately not everybody sees it in this light and they take my comments personally. There are also those who believe they are always right in whatever they say or do and become aggressive if their errors are pointed out, i.e. the 'What's it got to do with you?' brigade.
Strange BJ, but if you take no pleasure from it, why do you keep on doing it? To repeatedly undertake something that causes you no pleasure is very unusual behaviour. It is a bit like whenever anyone says "it's not about the money" .
The fact that you are able to identify the error to correct it is evidence that you understand what the poster meant, that is all that matters. You make mistakes, we all make mistakes, and I presume when you do it you do not do it on purpose. No-one comes on here to be educated. Why not just accept that this is not an exam paper for english language but is rather people trying to enjoy a light hearted chat about the club they love. You have put off many people over the years and caused them to not bother to come back because rightly or wrongly they feel you belittle them. You will say they are touchy, but you would not go up to someone you did not know in the pub and say: "sorry but the grammar you just used was incorrect, if you refer to Fowler's Modern Usage you will find that you should have used "which" rather than "that". You would be told to go away, I suspect. So why do it from the anonymity of your keyboard? It is simply unnecessary.